PBP: P/I/P - Black Diamond Run #7 - Rapids vs That One Team In Green 4/10/2019 9pm EST

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by TheWarmBurger, Apr 9, 2019.

1. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Well, if we got one thing going for us this season, it's that Kei's twitter and instagram have been a source of humor and good will...not something you'd normally see out of a Rapids player...heck, a Rapids Striker.

Dude's got a good sense of humor about it all

Sports Yak, fortcollins, Andy126 and 2 others repped this.
  2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And people thought Kei was a locker room cancer (I'll admit to having concerns at first)

Andy126 and COMtnGuy repped this.
  3. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Without a doubt, Kamara is my favorite Rapid this season. He has a high work rate and good soccer IQ. Also, he lobbies the officials for the team.

I didn't know what to expect, but boy is his attitude great.

Andy126 and fortcollins repped this.
  4. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Yeah, was that in Columbus? I wonder what happened.

Maybe he doesn't take kindly to having his time reduced. From what we've seen so far, when he does play, it appears he works his ass off and does what the team asks.

5. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kei is intense, in a good way. He is the piece of the puzzle that made sense of acquiring Mezquida. The offseason moves were solid, and gave the team a significant upgrade in several areas. All I see from Kamara is effort and skill, over and over.

I think about the Rapids players over the years who have had the workrate, though without Kei's level of skill. All have been fan favorites. Effort is an intangible and a rare commodity. The Rapids as a team and organization have lots of problems. Kamara for sure isn't one of them.

COMtnGuy, JasonMa and Andy126 repped this.
  6. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    This. This is exactly why we all need to question Hudson, and as a result, Smith even more. I'm not one to call for someone to get fired very easily, I want to give people a chance to prove whether they are worth their salt or not.

Last year, Hudson inherited an absolute mess of a team, and no one could have expected us to be a bright spot in the league last year - we all can agree on that. This year, he's had now two full preseasons, a full season, and six games to implement the system and style he wants. He's had an opportunity to make a shift in the culture of the team.

We've brought in players that should be successful - Rubio, Kamara, Rosenberry, Acosta, etc., and yet the results aren't following. Sure, our offense looks a heck of a lot better this year than the last 3 years combined. But it hasn't mattered. Somehow, Axel went from a solid defender to a PK liability. Rosenberry went from an all pro RB to a "meh" RB who gets burned a lot on the right side. Serna went from a gadget, "super sub" wing/mid to a stop gap LB....speaking of Serna, poor guy hasn't gotten any help in the midfield and has gotten hung out to dry the last two games...Acosta who? Feilhaber who? The players who've been solid, aren't, and the players we brought in to be solid, don't look it.

Where then does the issue have to lie then? The Rapids have been figured out, and will continue to be figured out week in and week out unless something dramatic happens. Sure there's been some missteps on the field. But you can't pin all of the losses we have on individual errors, or assignment mistakes. Good tactics don't put your team in positions where a collection of "individual errors" will cost you 2-4 goals per game. Good tactics don't make good players look bad. Good tactics don't mean you play from behind at some point in every single game of the season thus far.

#HudsonOut will continue to ring louder and louder unless he can figure out the MLS, because right now, the MLS has figured him out. We suck in transition. We suck against the counter attack. We suck in zonal marking. Every game this season we've been beaten by "individual errors" in those areas - areas that haven't changed since last year.

Rant over

Sal Paradise and Andy126 repped this.
  7. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Maybe the players will get a clue and totally ignore Hudson and win a game!

TheWarmBurger repped this.
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This one, at least, is probably explainable. Axel was a solid defender in Pablo's 4 defenders/2 defensive mids, and 11 players behind the ball system. That allowed the CB's to largely sit back keep the play in front of them, and not have to cover much ground. Once we opened the play up Axel now has a bigger area to patrol and plays more looking at the goal, which doesn't appear to be his strength.

9. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Yep. Which is why my point was "Good tactics don't make good players look bad". The system on the field doesn't match the players on the field

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point was that I'm not sure Axel is as good as we thought he was. We can't (or don't want to) play 11 behind the ball in order to make Axel look good.

11. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Exactly. Your point and my point go hand in hand here. Pablo 2016 worked. The league figured him out and Pablo/Cooke 2017 happened. However, Axel was still a defender of the year finalist that year.

Injuries happen, coaches get fired, Hudson comes in, and Axel seems different. We’re playing different systems that took a defender of the year candidate to a defensive liability.

How did that happen? How did Gashi go from superstar to a nobody? How did Aigner happen, Boli happen, Barnes happen, Hairston and Badjis regression happen? How did Castillo get burned every week on defense like Serna these last games?

Either every player that comes in to Colorado come in as a liability....or we’ve got another issue at hand.

We’ve got good players, and now even more players that have already proven themselves in this league. We don’t have good results that normally come with that.

Andy126 and Sports Yak repped this.
  12. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    The result last night was better than I expected it would be at the beginning of the week. Sure we didn't expect any points, but I thought we might get blown out and our goals for/against average would suffer. Plus, I thought Seattle would get 3 points, but they got 0. Not a bad night for the Rapids.

13. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I received an email from the Rapids saying:

Some more info on the project website.

14. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Temps in the 30s and road closures and stellar performances.
    Not good!!!

[emoji2959][emoji2959][emoji2959][emoji2959][emoji2959]

15. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    And no mini donuts. Not a great recipe for attendance.

16. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team: