PBP: P/I/P - Black Diamond Run #3 - Rapids vs The artists formerly known as Wiz - 3/17 @ 7pm

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by TheWarmBurger, Mar 13, 2019.

1. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Didn't see a thread yet, so figured I'd start one!

Looks like the weather shall be chilly Saturday night with a high that day of 43 and a low of 21:

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/80022:4:US

Refs will be:
    REF: Allen Chapman
    AR1: Oscar Mitchell-Carvalho
    AR2: Michael Kampmeinert
    4TH: Guido Gonzales Jr
    VAR: Jorge Gonzalez
    AVAR: Jonathan Johnson

Stuart95 and jayd8888 repped this.
  2. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    Not that this affects the gametime weather much, but the SKC match is SUNDAY evening at 7:00 (not Saturday). 41F at kickoff. Dropping slowly through match. But Sunday (day) looks like it'll be a nice day (sunny & 50).

3. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Ha! I thought I looked at Sunday when I pulled up the weather lol. Good catch. Protip, posting on bigsoccer at work can lead to minor errors in details

jayd8888 repped this.
  4. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sports Yak and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  5. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    Ha! Tis true! Please note, posting at home with a cabin-fevered 6-year-old and 3-year-old on a snow day can lead to major errors in details. ;)

6. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
  7. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Andy126 repped this.
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have serious doubts at this point that Nicholson will contribute in a meaningful way in 2019. I'm getting a Sean St. Ledger feel from his injury.

9. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    Had the same thought. Though, maybe the resilience of youth will yield different results in Nicholson's case. St. Ledger was in his low 30's when his injury lagged. Nicholson just turned 24. Having just hit 50 last year, I take particular note of how much just a few years can affect injury recovery time... and more importantly, hangover recover time!

On another note, although it's a different injury(ies), I'm getting a bit concerned with how frequently Kortne has been going down. He missed much of the first part of 2018 with a long-lasting, early-season injury. And here we are again. Bad luck or too injury prone?

Frankly, given the rather extensive rash of injuries before the first match this year, I am more than a wee bit skeptical with the training regimen and the coaches and trainers that push them. I know this topic has been discussed here already, but man, the number of injuries going into the opening match resembled a mid-season roster that has already been beat up with months of matches and strain. Makes ya wonder about either the training regimen and/or coaching demands on players (given all the noise we heard about it last year). Keep in mind, most of Anthony Hudson's experience has been with national teams, where he didn't have to deal with the effects of pre-season fitness or the day-to-day grind over several months, etc. He just temporarily inherited players from time to time, while their respective clubs handled the fitness. [Just thinking aloud and acknowledging this is a tangent from the OP about Nicholson's injury. ]

Andy126, Totoro, COMtnGuy and 1 other person repped this.
  10. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nicholson is the one player last year I wondered how he would preform on a better team. He sometimes seemed like the only guy who had an idea in our "attack".

11. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    JasonMa and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  12. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Yeah it's tough to say. He took a pretty bad knock to his back, and back injuries (similar to knee/ankle injuries) always seem to have a different recovery than most. I've had family members with back issues that took a loooong time to resolve, from a seemingly minute issue. I hope Sam can recover from it and play with the same fire he had before the injury. Could be a great sub in with his pace and energy.

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wolde Harris is a Rapids legend? :D

14. rapidogordo

rapidogordo Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Did her ever contribute meaningfully? Don't get me wrong, he has a great attitude, but 2 goals and 0 assists in 2018 ... I always thought his ability was over-estimated and I don't see him more than a depth spot with the current roster when healthy.

Rod1916 repped this.
  15. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I happened to watch SKC's first game against LAFC. Their legbreaker reputation continues. I think they had five yellow cards--all well deserved. Could be a good game for Price and fans who like to see tackles with studs up.

As for Ford, it's set him back to miss so much time on the pitch. Athletic, but raw from a tactical standpoint.

16. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I've used this ad with my geo students when we're defining/discussing dialects.

kucsdat and Paranoid Coyote repped this.
  18. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Looks like SKC won their CCL match tonight 3-0 at home to advance. Seems they played a lot of first team players.

19. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are there truly any Rapids legends? Maybe Balboa (6 years), Pablo (12 years), who actually played most of their career with the club..........

"Shakin' Jamaican" played 3......

R

Sports Yak repped this.
  20. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I wonder if the defenders all get hurt because of how they have to turn suddenly and sprint quickly after the runners they forgot to track. It's a very stressful motion early in camp.

21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Macoumba Kandji is a Rapids legend for what he did in MLs Cup 2010.

I'd add a number of those 2010 players to the legends list (not Gallery of Honor, which is a higher bar). Casey, Omar, Koz, Drew, Pickens, etc.

Gallery of Honor already as too many names in it, but Drew Moor needs to be added when he retires. But Spencer doesn't need to be up there, and both Bravo and Henderson are borderline. Balboa, Pablo, Casey, and Moor are the only sure GoH members in team history.

22. Andy126

Andy126 Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Reasons for Optimism:

- KC’s recent travel schedule: Playing their 5th game in 18 days, on the road in cold weather at altitude coming off a big CCL victory to advance on Thursday night. This game screams fatigue and let down game. We will very likely be facing an entire B squad as Verme’s let’s the A players recharge their batteries.

- Axel’s back from suspension. Smith is listed as questionable (fingers crossed) and I didn’t see Opare’s name anywhere on the injury list which HOPEFULLY means there will be three options not named Wilson or Wynne available to play CB.

- Several ex-KC players should come out motivated and hungry.

Reasons for Pessimism:

- We’re still the Rapids (see last weeks opening 10 minutes).

- We’re still coached by Hudson (see last weeks head scratching midfield lineup).

- I still don’t really know what to make of this team other than they’re better than last year (which is a historically low bar).

Given KC’s recent game schedule, likely B squad lineup and this being a home game, we SHOULD win 3-1/2-1....which is why we will likely tie 2-2.

I want to be optimistic about this one but we need to see a larger sample set before I can predict anything optimistic with any kind of confidence.

23. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    COMtnGuy and Andy126 repped this.
  24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Irwin was also loaned out to the Springs, with Rawls recalled. Opare is presumably going to get some fitness but I'm not sure why we swapped keepers.

25. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    The article said that it was to speed up his recovery from injury. I wasn't even aware that Irwin was injured in the first place!