overrated players of serie A

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by lb961, Feb 12, 2014.

1. lb961

lb961 Member+

Jan 25, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I wanted @ first to create a poll with names like (balotelli, kaka, el shaarawi, hamsik, osvaldo, guarin, hernanes, gilardino, destro, aquilani, montolivo....etc)
    but then i thought i let it free for everyone to choose the name they want without being forced to choose from a list. la gazetta asked the same question last year and balo was chosen.
    so i ask you: which is (are) the most overrated player(s) in serie A this year according to you? and if u can elaborate on ure choice(s) it would be gr8. thx.

2. Ragnaroz

Ragnaroz Member+

Jan 31, 2010
    Paracin
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
  3. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Cassano:rolleyes:

Rossonero23 and DDR repped this.
  4. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    ........................and Pogba

I think Hamsik has been somewhat overrated for some time now. Of course there's a difference between believing a player is overrated and believing there just not good at all (see Kaka comment below). Both Pogba and Hamisk are decent footballers of course but for me are overrated and I think both are often probably more concerned about their hairstyle than anything else.

Is Kaka still rated highly? I don't know but if so then he is the most overrated because he is rubbish nowadays imo.

5. SeiUnica

SeiUnica Member

Nov 4, 2012
    No-Handanovic.

6. Lameelaa

Lameelaa Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Tevez
    well has he been always overrated

7. Zephyrus

Zephyrus Member

Dec 17, 2012
    Singapore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I think we overrate Pjanic a lot honestly, I don't doubt the kid has talent and has been improved immensely since Garcia took him under his wing. But I feel he's the most expendable in our midfield trio and definately not at a 40M price tag level. At most 25-30M. Yes he's creative, fun to watch and is the closest player to totti as it is now. I feel he lacks a lot of consistancy, look at Kevin performing week in week out. A little overrated by us IMO.

8. tmontana52

tmontana52 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Philly- the 215
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Mexes for sure :ROFLMAO:

9. Matrim

Matrim Member+

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    By teams:

Juventus - all of their players are over-rated. Especially Chiellini, Vidal, Pogba, Lichtsteiner, Asamoah, Llorente, Tevez, Giovinco, Quagriarella, Vucinic and the last one to close the door.

Napoli - almost the same as Juventus. The list of over-rated player`s army from Naples starts with Higuain and Callejon, goes throught Hamsik and Insigne, and almost ends ups with their central midfielders, but there is Reina too - one of the most over-rated goalkeepers of all time, alongisde GKs like Valdes from Barca.

Milan - Balotelli anyone? Then we have Abate, Zapata, De Jong, Montolivo, Muntari. Pretty long list too.

Inter - no one except Cambiaso is over-rated from there. Palacio is good player. And the others are so shit, no one can say they are over-rated, because no one considers them good players. Same with Lazio.

And now over-rated players of the other teams from the league - Berardi, Cuadrado, Matri, Perin, Cerci, Gillardino and again - the last one to close the door.

In our team I consider Ljalic and Florenzi to be over-rated from some people. Now don't get me wrong - they are both good, it's just they are both now world-class yet. Same could be said for Destro in some of his matches. All three of them are great players with potential, but they still need to develop in order to earn starting place in our team. At least in my opinion.

Now have in mind all names stated above are according to my personal opinion. I just consider this players to get hyped way too much, especially Juve`s and Napoli`s players.

However, this is my list. It's quite long and I may have forgot to write some player here and there. But it's almost complete. :)

And even if the list it's quite big, I can certainly say it's doesn't mean Seria A is full with shit players, at least this statement is false when we compare Seria A with Premier League and La Liga, where 90% of the players are over-rated untalented footballers, for whom no one in Seria A and in other serious leagues care about.

10. Goduerza

Goduerza Member+

Jun 13, 2008
    Bulgaria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I remember having a sort of a discussion with a guy on CdT who was singing the praises for Pjanic and saying we wouldn't be able to replace him even if we got 50m for him. I definitely believe he's being overrated by some people, and honestly I'm a bit against him at the moment, assuming the reports for his big contracts demands are true (and they probably are, seeing as there's no ink yet). Definitely the most expendable player on the starting line-up.

11. TwistedJester

TwistedJester Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    De Sanctis. Sorry but just don't rate this guy

12. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Balotelli on club form shouldn't get near the national side. You can count the games he's put in an honest shift on one hand over the last 2 seasons, the rest he has fell over and looked with his sulky eyes at the ref, basically a fraud.

Hamsik, decent player but that's all. Been found out a long time ago now.
    Higuain, Callejon and Reina

Agree on pjanic, still lacks character which leads to being inconsistent.

Pogba but more so because of the modern hype machine after a handful of good games. Great talent though

lb961 repped this.
  13. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This is almost ridiculous as the I miss Henchag thread.

zako and lb961 repped this.
  14. DCUroma

DCUroma Member+

Jul 20, 2009
    Suck it Sensi
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Or most of the threads Henchag use to start

15. Andreas

Andreas Member+

May 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Florenzi is more overrated than Pjanic, imo.

16. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  17. Roma_NY

Roma_NY Member+

Oct 19, 2009
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're nuts. Who has overrated Florenzi? I can't recall him being called "The next [Insert Legendary Italian Player]." Maybe he was called the next Perrotta, but with all due respect to Perrotta - its not like he was an all time great. I think most people rate Florenzi very well. Perhaps his only issue is what type of player he is? I see him more as an attacker than a midfielder - but not so much a winger. So it may be difficult to get his full potential out in a 4-3-3.

Ok, maybe Pjanic is overrated a bit based on clubs like Man Utd, Barca and PSG all drooling over him. The guy can change a game, but maybe he doesn't do it consistently enough - I could accept that.

I don't actually think there are many players in Serie A who are overrated - especially when compared to the BPL. Balotelli may be a classic case, but his talent isn't overrated. He just lacks mental strength.

18. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Florenzi is deffo overrated, people lose their minds when he is benched, when in fact he still lacks the ability to change a game, and I am yet to see him impact a game we arent dominating. I realize people think Adem is overrated as well, but as of now he is a better player and even though he is selfish and brainless at times, he can change a game

19. Goduerza

Goduerza Member+

Jun 13, 2008
    Bulgaria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Yeah Florenzi is overrated too. I've already said it but he's a strange player. Having said that, he has his moments as well. The build-up play (started by him) leading to our third goal against Napoli was fantastic.

20. davidcaspian

davidcaspian Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jorginho is my pick.

It's hard to say that Serie A players are overrated when the league as a whole is often underrated.

Think of Totti: quite possibly the most underrated player still playing the game.

21. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Speaking of Adem ... there's one for this thread.

22. stugotz

stugotz Member+

May 20, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I disagree with nearly every name mentioned except a few (like Cassano). How is Florenzi overrated!? In my opinion overrated means everyone overrates you. As in the entire Italian media praising a guy to be the next big thing. You can't call a guy overrated just because the teams fan base likes him. If every Rube, Inter and Milan fan was calling Florenzi the best young Italian player then you'd have a case. The fact Destro was mentioned just shocks me. But I guess I have a different idea of what overrated means.

wm72 and Roma_NY repped this.
  23. lb961

lb961 Member+

Jan 25, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    where is @Henchag ? he could contribute to this tread. i miss him :p:p:p

24. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He will just bring up the likes of Cavani, Higuain, Insigne, etc....

I wonder if De Laurentis is reconsidering the Roma bid for Insigne from last year. I think he is better than Ljajic.

25. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    He's gearing up for his big game tonight.

La Magica repped this.