Overrated players in the women's game?

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Thomsen, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Why do people even bother to count goals players from Lyon score, considering that their average goal rate each game's probably as high as 5...? Seriously, I even think Babett Peter could scare a goal or two within the overpowered Lyon. Even Josephine Henning!

Okay, creds for her for winning tournaments through penalty, but a player's ability to score on penalties shouldn't define how good a player really is...

I don't know how many times a game she passes the ball to a team mate not far away, then raising her hands crazy for the ball and receives it but does nothing with it but pass it to the side or a few metres in front of her. I've sometimes seen her pass the ball fast and accurately up the pitch starting the attack - that's very good, but I do not see if often. I personally don't find her very good at defending either, where Renard and Mbock often saves her or the opposition wastes the ball away. She's a smart player though, but I don't rate her higher in defending than what I do with Kroos for Germany and Real Madrid lol. But then, she's might be OL's answer on Toni Kroos?

I don't think she's a bad player. Not an average player either, certainly better than that. A good player, but I don't understand all the praise she gets.

SiberianThunderT and Romario'sgurl repped this.
  2. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Fair enough, though I'd say that players like Wambach, Schelin, Martens or... Abily and Marozsan do probably understand all the praise she gets. ;)

blissett repped this.
  3. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Repped for your bravery and courage. :laugh::p

4. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    You are wrong and I invite you to watch the game again, Alex was playing LM and her tactical job was to follow Blasse in order to not let Wolfsburg prevail on the flank which was what the Germans aimed to do. You can't play against Wolfsburg away and pretend to attack from the beginning....it's shocking stupid,,,first you have to contain them, let them use all their offensive resources then when exhausted finish them....IT is EXACTLY what Lyon did and they won the Champions League with that great victory. Mentally it was a big (decisive) blow to their strongest rival Wolfsburg, and Morgan did her part wonderfully well, tactically she was perfect all game long.

5. HoussemAouar

HoussemAouar New Member

Olympique Lyonnais
    France
    Mar 22, 2018
    And yet that's what Lyon has always done since 2009 and the semi-final lost against Duisburg. Including in 2013 and 2016 against Wolfsburg. That's the DNA of this squad.

You, watch the match again. The first leg is poor for Lyon, except two occasions from nowhere at the very end. The VFL has the control of the game , going easily through the sides. The second is almost as poor as the first (that's Prêcheur's syndrome), the difference is that Lyon manages to create opportunities.
    55 : Marozsan to Hegerberg's header, above
    58 : Abily to le Sommer, offside
    61 : Abily's goal (thank you so much Schult)
    74 : Marozsan's goal after a great work from Hegerberg on the left side
    87 : Marozsan's shot, Schult saves
    88 : Marozsan to Le Sommer, Schult saves
    93: Hegerberg's shot, Schult saves

There's an absent in all these actions will you find her ?

6. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    NOPE is not what OL did, they didn't play Wolfsburg, their strongest opponent, in a full attacking mode like they play against Rodez, Albi or basically any other team. If it's true that Wolfsburg are very scared of Lyon, is also true OL respect the German club a lot, like no other team, because they know on paper is a 50/50 game every time they face each other....That's why Lyon planned to first contain then attack in the first leg and is what they exactly did and Morgan was fundamental for that tactical triumph.
    This is what L'EQUIPE said about Alex performance that day:
    "Alex Morgan se distingue par sa combativité et son activité incessante, avec ou sans ballon, en seconde période. L'Américaine coupe une trajectoire de passe en position d'arrière gauche"
    I translate:
    Alex Morgan distinguish herself with her combativity and incessant activity, with or without the ball, in the second half. The American cut a pass (win back the ball) in a Left Back position.

https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/match/382972

If L'EQUIPE praised her performance all game long who are we to say the opposite.....Once again I tell you Morgan had a fantastic game, if you say no then you didn't watch the game or you don't know football.

7. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Slow to follow here... but I don't quite pick up the reference. Where indeed do the likes of Wambach fit in here? What have I missed?

8. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Heh, it was some thought shortcut by me. I ment that Kumagai has stopped Wambach on a few occasions. I believe Schelin never scored against Japan when Kumagai was on the pitch. Martens wasn't to much effective against her as well. While Abily or Marozsan praised her often in interviews I saw.

blissett repped this.
  9. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Hi, Smulan. Long time no see! Any chance to see you again more often on these boards? :)

10. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Babett Peter

regular player for NT (under Neid and Jones) and for Wolfsburg somehow

some people says she’s good but if she played for a NT or club you like, you would want her gone after watching her for ten minutes

Josephine Henning

somehow she’s played for the best clubs in Europe...? Wolfsburg, PSG, Lyon and now Arsenal, like who the hell is her manager...?

Watching these two together for NT was the most painful thing I’ve ever seen in football and commentators and fans think and say that they are some of the best defenders in the world when the fact is that they are two of the worst defenders the women’s elite game has ever shown

I genuinely believe 10-12 year old boys wouldn’t struggle a lot to get past them

11. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    People criticized Krahn and Bartusiak a lot but Peter and Henning are a serious downgrade and a total mess. At least I saw occasionally good games from Krahn and Bartusiak and they possessed some attributtes I liked although they were far from ideal CB’s

Now for once I think Germany have better defensive players than offensive players, so the era of Peter as a regular for the NT is GONE if the DFB says the truth that they have analyzed the performances of the women then her contract with Wolfsburg runs and out and she can finally retire with somehow having won CL, the WC, Euro’s and an Olympic gold medal :confused: but everything is won from either her highly more talented team mates or by sitting on the bench

12. Really:whistling:
    Wonder where you get that impression from
    upload_2018-3-30_1-21-29.png

debzy and blissett repped this.
  13. HoussemAouar

HoussemAouar New Member

Olympique Lyonnais
    France
    Mar 22, 2018
    Tiens, j'avais pas vu que t'avais répondu, en français en plus, parfait. Alors déjà les blaireaux de l'Equipe comme source je me marre, surtout en ce qui concerne le foot féminin. Ensuite comme je l'ai dit c'est bien joli la "combativité", et l'"apport défensif" mais c'est pas ce qu'on lui demande et offensivement son match c'était le néant. Avec Hergerberg titu y avait la place d'en mettre 1 ou 2 de plus.

D'un manière plus générale, Morgan à Lyon c'est un échec cuisant, dont le seul effet aura été de plomber le duo Le Sommer-Hergerberg. Jamais décisive, un total de 12 buts en 15 matches dont 7 en Cdf, 5 en D1...et 0 en WCL. Pour une soi-disante top attaquante c'est famélique.

14. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Le Sommer aussi n'a jamais été decisive ni pour OL ni pour la France....Morgan a plutot jouée ailières à Lyon mais si selon toi marqué 12 buts en 15 matchs est un fiasco alors.....:confused::confused:....J'ai plus rien à ajouter.