Over/Under on Halsti Leaving

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by griffin1108, Mar 7, 2016.

1. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Few appearances in pre-season. Another pre-season injury (calf). Not on the gameday roster for LA by "coach's decision." I say the end of March

sitruc and Don't Tread on Me repped this.
  2. Don't Tread on Me

Aug 11, 2010
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won't miss him, he's too expensive to be our fourth center back.

3. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What works for him is his soccer IQ, his big game experience, and his inclination to play attacking soccer from a largely defensive position. What works against him is age, salary, and, most importantly (I think), the fact that he isn't fast and runs with a long, loping stride which makes quick changes of direction difficult.

Eastern Bear repped this.
  4. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    reading way too much into tweets but it doesn't seem like he wants to go

Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Halsti for team social media director?

6. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Missing preseason both years has really hurt him.

Winoman and JRHokie repped this.
  7. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    The last one is now a "spin instructor". Just check out Molly Bruh's LinkedIn profile.

8. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same job then?

9. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
  10. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Click the link -- OMG. Do folks really put up inspiration boards with cut outs? Jeebus, I may have live too long already. Look, I've moved from California, to Arizona, to New Jersey, to Pennsylvania (Philly), to Virginia, to the District and back to Virginia -- I never felt compelled to publish the "why?" of those moves. I just did them because they made sense at the time (and actually in a weird way, still do.) But for ********'s sake, I didn't ever feel the need to "share" the "why?" with the whole ********ing world.

grumpydcu, Winoman, Heist and 2 others repped this.
  11. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Halsti stays, if only because he is a wonderfully intelligent and outgoing individual who has really embraced living in the DC area (specifically, Old Town Alexandria, I think). His English fluency is amazing. His wife was, I believe, a sports television personality who was as well known as he was. I'll be sorry if he goes.

tallguy, Winoman and JRHokie repped this.
  12. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I honestly hope he goes. He doesn't fit the mold of what an MLS d-mid needs to be. MLS midfields are very frantic and physical. You just don't get the amount of time and space that Halsti needs for his quality passes to be effective. You also need to be a lot quicker to recover after losing possession.

I'm sorry but for his salary he needs to be a dominant game changing CM.

13. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    I mean we still east most of his salary this year anyway

14. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Not if it's a mutually agreed to termination. He becomes a free transfer and we're off the salary hook.

Heist repped this.
  15. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Problem is that the season already started so I don't think there's anyway we can turn the clock back and take the entire $350,000 off the books. If some Scandinavian club swoops in and transfers him in the next few weeks I think we could get half of that salary off the books for the 2nd half of the season.

I'd still take that solution. It's making the worst of an overall bad situation. It's really shocking how many dead end conundrums Kasper has gotten us into over the last couple seasons.

16. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting a job and never leaving is exactly why I'm in this area.

It's something adults do. No need for vision boarding or blog posts or anything of the sort.

Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  17. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saborio is a worse and more confusing mistake, given that we actually saw him play and still gave him the contract.
    Kasper has made a lot of good moves. This one wasn't a horrible idea from the start. He actually looked okay at times. The idea of Halsti is a really good one. He can play multiple positions. He played in the Champs League. He's got size and likes to play possession soccer. It just never has come together for him on this team.
    More recently, he just looks too slow of pace and thought. If we weren't as stacked at CB, Maybe he could take Boswell's spot, but you couldn't have both of them on the field together.
    I don't know the salary implications. What you said above makes sense, so if we only get half the salary back off the books, might as well keep him around for half the year since we'll be paying him anyway in case Sarvas or a CB gets injured. If it's pro-rated, I say we drop him now.

18. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    It's not like the team would spend the money saved wisely anyway, so might as well keep him around especially since our defense blows so far.

tallguy repped this.
  19. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    Let me tell you about this new social media thing. It's where people way overshare everything like showing you what they ate for dinner, terrible things their friends do to them, several posed pictures with artificially protruding lips, how much better their children are than your children but we all know their kid really got popped by the school resource officer for selling weed and he's also failing chemistry and wrecked mom's car after a couple of Bud Ice...

Winoman, fatbastard, griffin1108 and 2 others repped this.
  20. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'd be nice to have him around as cover just so we have an option to switch to 3 backs. You can laugh now.

21. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are going to need Halsti, Sarvas can't play every match and Clowes will be in Richmond. If he's cool coming off the bench, he could get 10-15 games.
    It is overpaying but getting rid of him means someone has to replace him. Who would that be, and if it's at the cost of another striker in the summer, don't think I want to do that.

22. Don't Tread on Me

Aug 11, 2010
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buscher

23. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a moment in the LA game where he was flat out running and it looked like slow motion - he and Halsti are pretty much in the same boat.

Can we get another Acosta?

Where's Gil now?

As far as Halsti - he just had a baby and I'm sure that his wife wants to go back to Finland (I'm assuming she's Finnish) to be near family. If he doesn't start and isn't in the plans I think a mutual agreement will come shortly.

James

24. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I'll take the under.

25. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC