Out with the old... Jan 2019 transfer thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Sep 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I'll have to go back and rewatch the Fulham game, but that was not my impression at all. Nearly every time Iwobi touched the ball he was on the left. Welbeck also appeared on the left, but also showed up more centrally. If anyone was playing a free role it was Mhiki.

2. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    So Ramsey talks and confirms that the club pulled the plug. Arsblog reports that his insiders say Ramsey’s camp went silent after the deal was agreed. One presumes they were shopping the deal around to see if they might have better options in Jan or the summer.

I still find it strange that he is nearly universally acclaimed by coaches and pundits yet he’s had no strong link to any club throughout this process.

I’d have thought that a few clubs might sniff around to pip him in January.

3. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought there was a rumor that Juve was considering Ramsey, but that is the only even half-rumor that I remember reading about.

4. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There have been a few rumors of English clubs and Milan, as well, but so much of the rumor mill is agent-driven. I think it’s possible they just weren’t interested in playing that game.

5. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I’d rather sell or part exchange in jan

chjoak repped this.
  6. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I'd rather sell Xhaka and play with one defensive mid, Torreira, with two in front, Ozil and Ramsey, the way Pep does with Fernandinho, Silva, and De Bruyne, when he's healthy. One of the reasons Arsenal's chance creation is down is that both the 6 and 8 are primarily devoted to defense. It's closer to the sway Mourinho plays than the way Pep plays.

7. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A) Emery is more of a defensive guy. We discussed quite a bit before the season that his ideal MF setup was a 6, 6/8 hybrid and 8/10 hybrid as the base of his preferred 4-2-3-1. If Ramsey were to stay, his best spot would be the 8/10 hybrid.
    B) a MF with Torreira at the 6 with Ramsey & Ozil in front of him would be atrocious defensively. Torreira is a solid MF but not enough of a "destroyer" type 6 to allow both his MF partners to push forward and ignore defensive responsibilities. Pep's version of the 3 man MF works because both Silva and DB will drop back and help on defense. We wouldn't get that from Ramsey/Ozil. For all Xhaka's issues, He is actually a decent partner for Torreira (atleast until we can upgrade) as he atleast maintains some semblance of defensive positioning and he is able to hit some great passes from deep.

8. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You seem to be such an expert on Emery’s ‘system’, but he’s not asking Ramsey to play the role you’ve described. Like at all.

And really, did anybody think Silva would ‘play defense’ before he was asked to? I’m sure Ramsey and Özil are capable of doing what those two are doing. They need to be coached in a system to do it.

Shen-O and casoccerdad47 repped this.
  9. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't pretend to be an Emery expert. I am basing my opinion on the information I have read about Emery's "system" and how it was applied at PSG, Sevilla & Valencia.

My opinion of Ramsey in that system is based on what I read vs what I see on the field. Under 2 different coaches now we have seen Ramsey play exactly the same way. Under Wenger people on this board criticized Ramsey for playing too far forward and not being the true #8 that AW tried to play him as. Now under a more defensive coach, we are to assume that Emery is instructing him to play far up the field and ignore defensive responsibility?

10. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    The comparison of how he played for Wenger as the 8 and how he playing for Emery as the 10 is like comparing apples and oranges. I believe Ramsey is doing exactly what he's been asked to do under both coaches. Wenger played a more attacking game, and late runs into he box by the 8 was part of that game. I think the problem the last couple of seasons is that he was paired with Xhaka. When paired with Arteta earlier in his career, he was able to make the runs without significant holes opening up in the midfield. Defensively, Torreira like Arteta reads the game well and neither would be confused with an enforcer, so I would like to see how Ramsey pairs with Torreira.

Shen-O repped this.
  11. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Well if the reports are true, the deal for Ramsey was yanked based on Emery’s analysis. I take that to mean Ramsey can’t or won’t do what is being asked of him—whatever that is exactly.

I honesty had high hopes for Ramsey being higher up the pitch. I know he can play deeper, but he is not consistent enough for me—goes on walkabout and his tackling style is for more for a pressing CF than a DM.

I know Xhaka can be a defensive liability as well (I.e. traffic cone). But I think I’ve seen hints that he is improving positionally, and Emery definitely has him playing deeper. Also he seems to focusing on containing a little more and helping out the fullbacks than doing his old hang a leg out defending. Will it pay off or last, I don’t know. That said, I wouldn’t hate to see him go if we replace him with a more dynamic midfielder.

12. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ramsey and ozil are not de Bruyne or silva

That formation would be destroyed by any competent midfield

Ramsey works in a 433 with Xhaka and torreira

Ozil could play as a cm maybe with Xhaka and torreira

But Both either want to create higher up or score

There has to be balance

13. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Just saw that we are linked with Kai Havertz of Leverkusen. Would like him at arsenal. Perfect immediate replacement for Ramsey and future replacement for ozil.

14. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also being linked with Thomas Partey from Atleti. He and Kai might make a MF damn near perfect...

ST - Laca, PAE, Welbz
    LW - Miki, Iwobi, ESR, AMN
    RW - Havertz, Iwobi, ESR, AMN
    CAM - Ozil, Havertz
    LCM - Torreira, Xhaka, AMN
    RCM - Partey, Duzy, ElNeny

Not sure we have the cash for both, though. Even if we were to sell Ramsey in Jan.

15. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    You don't normally evaluate a player adjusting to new tactics after 8 games. There will always be problems for anyone bedding in to a new system of play.

Re the reports that it was Emery yanked the contract, we have no evidence of that, it's speculation. On multiple occassions Emery has been quoted as saying the contract situation was something for Ramsey and the club to resolve. There are two other events that may have had a bigger impact on the contract withdrawal than anything Emery has done, first Kroenke took over sole ownership of the club and then Gazidis announced his resignation to take the Job in Italy. The second event left a hole in the management team that has allowed Sanllehi, at least temporarily, to assume more power. I suspect he has more to do with the withdrawal of the contract than Emery.

maskito repped this.
  16. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Emery has zero say in personnel. I wish reports like that and people peddling that would stop.

17. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Seems unlikely that he has zero say in personnel: what he wants matters, but his word isn't law.

Shen-O and crazy150 repped this.
  18. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Ramsey to Everton on a free with a 16m signing bonus is the latest rumor. Assuming they would also pay him a competitive wage of say 150/wk that’s roughly 225-250/wk spread out over 3-4 years.

Not sure he’d fancy Everton, but can’t see any clubs in the continent paying him that. That maybe leaves just united and possibly Chelsea?

19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm... Everton could become Arsenal's old folks home. Theo, Aaron, Welbz, Kos? Yeah, yeah, I'm jumpin the gun a bit!

p.s. And in the old days there was Senderos, Kevin Campbell, Keown, Richard Wright, and Frannie Jeffers (sort of). Oh boy, do I digress!

20. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'll probably go to West Ham

21. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    I can believe that. He is a good player, and he has a role. I just don't think he can carry the goal burden. Seems a bit like Nasri.

22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I were boss, I'd give Mkhi more time in the EPL. He seems to create very good things, although he's a bit challenged with consistency.

23. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There shouldn’t be too much burden with our strikers

Although I would love to add Lozano as a goal scoring lw

24. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Luke Shaw has signed (or maybe just agreed?) a contract extension to stay at ManU. 5 yr £195k/wk. 5th highest salary on ManU's squad.

25. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reports this morning that we may be looking to loan Malcom from Barca in Jan. He has struggled for playing time (2 appearances) with their loaded attach and may be looking for a move. Assuming he could adjust to the EPL and Emery's system, he could be a good option for a scoring winger.