Out with the old... Jan 2019 transfer thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Sep 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Seriously?

Mkhi has 2 seasons at BvB which indicate he would deliver a good amount of goals plus assists from midfield

Obviously his Utd season was bobbins, plus the very bad BvB season when they sucked hard under Klopp - but we can't blame that all on him

Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 21.26.15.png

2. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think your answer is a winger either way.

4-2-3-1 - Ramsey plays either #10 or on the wing in this morning. At 10, Ozil starts, Miki & Iwobi backup. On the wing, buy a wing.
    4-3-3 (2 6s and a 10) - same as above
    4-3-3 (1 6 and 2 8s) - Ramsey can play one of the 8's or wing here. We have enough depth at 6/8 (Torreira, Xhaka, Duzy, ElNeny, AMN) that we should be able to cope. At wing, buy a wing
    4-2-2-2 - The only instances I have seen us play this formation with Ramsey he played on the wing. So, buy a wing.

wanye_stirrear repped this.
  3. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    I’m on my phone, so I can’t see the graphic very well, but if it’s just stat stuff then I will leave that for you all to debate.

I am just basing it on what I have seen of him. He doesn’t seem like a natural goal scorer. I didn’t watch him at BvB many years ago. I hope that you are right.

4. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the right system, Miki is more than capable to producing a good amount of goals and assists. Not likely going to score as much as a ST but should be able to replace Ramsey's scoring easily.

5. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We only have 3 league games in November (and two Europa snoozers). If he can get an appearance or 2 in vs. Bournemouth or Vorskla, that would be ideal. Starting at home vs. Spuds December 1st should be his goal.

6. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is a squaddie. The amount of space he gets in mls is going to change dramatically ... he does have quick move... for 10 mil
    Worth a punt

7. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That a punt on a squaddie is 10 mil still boggles my mind

8. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Actually, Ramsey may be more interested in a free transfer. It allows him to retain negotiating leverage and to a certain degree to pick his team. I'm not sure any team is going to pay a £25-30m transfer fee and then pay him 200-250k per week on top of that.

I don't buy the Liverpool rumors. They are already deep in the center of the midfield and Ox will be back next season. Re United, I think that only works if Pogba leaves.

9. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know how Ramsey fits into a top squad at this point. His style and skill set is sort of unique right now among top players. He would be best at playing like Lampard did under Jose but nobody plays like that anymore.

10. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point is that with the kind of injury he suffered, I don't think he'll be able to play in any sort of competitive match until January at the earliest. I'd love to be wrong here, but achilles injuries take a long time to heal and rehab even with the access to such care athletes like Koscielny have.

daedalus and DaPrince84 repped this.
  11. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I'll be amazed if Kos makes it back at all

daedalus repped this.
  12. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, and he's been in severe decline, anyway. Arsenal fans pinning their hopes on a triumphant return for Koscielny are only setting themselves up for disappointment.

daedalus, yossarian and DaPrince84 repped this.
  13. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I wouldn’t count on Kos at all this season.

Achilles tears change and end careers. Especially in a position that’s above quick changes of direction like centerback.

daedalus repped this.
  14. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That injury at his age makes it highly unlikely he contributes. He may play a few cup games but then he'll either retire or go back to France.

daedalus repped this.
  15. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We haven’t seen mav but I heard he’s injured? He looked a good prospect

Holding has done well too, hard to look good next to mustafi

Mikhi is an excellent rw @wanye_stirrear in terms of chance creation, not a goal scorer but if we play with 2 strikers he’s excellent

The only way to play him and ozil with a top 2 is a 4222 which we have NOT been playing

It was clear vs Fulham Welbeck was outride and iwobi had a free role

Emery is obsessed with a 4231 although I would like to see a 442 properly with torreira and Xhaka holding

16. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Yep, I think abou 1/2 of hoops players never return or have their production drop a lot. Not as much jumping in footy as hoops, but still a lot of stop-start, shifting, etc.

On the other hand, didn’t Beckham come back from it? Not that he was super athletic before. Also, Dominique Wilkins came back from it and made the all-stars I think. Terrell Suggs tore both his in separate years and came back from one in 6 months to win the Super Bowl and the other to go to the pro bowl a season later.

It would be silly to count on him but if Kos can come back and at least put some pressure on the current players that would be nice.

It also could make him adapt his game to rely less on movement and more on position. This might also help him squeeze an extra season or two out of his aging body.

17. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Emery confirmed in his post-match presser that we were playing a 442. And what I saw looked suspiciously like a 4222 version of that, certainly when Aubameyang came on if not before that. And fwiw, I've seen a number of the stats guys or other online writers echoing that. But I'm more than willing to be corrected if you can show me a heat map or average touch map for Welbeck saying otherwise.

18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Formations are so fluid these days, that for any given match, you can't really say a team uses one formation. It's more like a point of departure. From what I know, we played 442 and 4222 last weekend. And I bet we played something else along the way. Either because the coach dictated a tactical change mid-match, or because the players are constantly shifting during a match, especially when going between offensive and defensive shapes.

Montemurro supposedly said recently "Formations are for journalists".

19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As for Kos and whether he'll make it back to a starting CB, that's a big ask. I remember the moment he snapped his achilles, I thought to myself, that might just be his career right there. So I basically wrote him off at that point.

However, his recovery so far has been ahead of schedule I heard. So maybe he'll surprise us all. But that certainly would be beating the odds.

TH14 had chronic achilles problems (although I think his was more like tendonitis or micro-tears, rather than a rupture event) and he was able to prolong his career in MLS, although he changed his game to rely less on quickness, which was very noticeable. Still he contributed in a major way those final years at NYRB.

So I like @crazy150 's positive thinking... that Kos might reinvent himself a bit, less reliant on quickness. Shoot, Mertesacker was slow as hell, but made up for it with positional smarts. Maybe Kos's future (assuming he can make it back into the squad) also depends on who he's paired with and if they have complementary attributes.

20. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may be right, but I'm going to blindly cling to my fantasy of a triumphant return. Kos is Arsenal to me. He joined when I joined, and his journey as an Arsenal player mirrors my journey as an Arsenal fan.

The second he hit the deck and grabbed his ankle vs. Atletico he knew what it meant and I knew what it meant and I've never felt worse for an athlete.

Triumphant may not be his 26 year old "Koscielny floors bitches" self, but if he can return as our captain and put in a few shifts akin to the last few shifts the BFG put in, I would call that triumphant.

casoccerdad47 and danielh repped this.
  21. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It was a pretty clear 4-4-2 shape with the 2 strikers in central areas

22. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Seemed like Welbeck was lw or at least rotating with iwobi out wide

23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you really want to feed your hope, maybe you should just look at Cazorla? He also had achilles problems, although his were a whole other level with the post-op infections, gangrene, muscle/tissue loss, etc. So if Santi can come back to play regularly (so far) in Villareal's first team, then maybe there's a little hope for Kos? But the key question is: did he give up on the English doctors and head to Spain instead, like Santi did? ;)

24. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Iwobi & Welbz were both out on the left ALOT but if you tracked there positioning/movement I think you would see that Iwobi was playing LW and Welbz was all over the place. To me it looked almost like we started the game in a 4-2-2-1-1 with Welbz in a free roaming SS role. When PAE came in for him we were in a more standard 4-2-2-2.

thebigman repped this.
  25. cooper7d7

cooper7d7 Member+

Feb 7, 2001
    CT
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So true.