Out with the old... Jan 2019 transfer thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Sep 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NBCSN folks just did a guest appearance on Sky's show, and the 3 pundits were asked to say which clubs they're concerned about from this window: Earle: Soton. Mustoe: Spurs. Martino: Arsenal.

Kyle said in a concise way what many of us have been concerned with from day 1 of the window: Defense. And now that defensive injuries have risen even more of late, I'm even more concerned.

Only time will tell. But in May if we miss out on Top 4 or worse yet Top 5, I think we will be looking back on this window.

OK, there's 1-2 hrs left to go, but there doesn't seem to be a single current rumor about us doing a defensive signing.

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wolves sold Benik Afobe was sold to Stoke for 12M. I didn't even know he was still at Wolves. Bad trajectory since his days w/ us.

3. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    I get it that we needed a defender, but honestly almost no CBS moved this January—I just looked at it on transfermarkt. Bournemouth picked up a young guy from Brentford and we could have had Reese oxford maybe on loan. That’s about it. Cahill didn’t even go anywhere. A few RBs moved around but none that struck me as better than jenko/Lichtsteiner/AMN except Cline and he already moved before bellarin went down.

And I think Kyle martino is pretty annoying and anti arsenal much of the time.

4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm, I got the impression he might be a Gooner.

Yes, the pickins is slim for quality defenders, but did we even try much?

OK, maybe Cahill and he might not have come anyway as he seems (oddly) to want to sit on the bench at Chelsea until his contract is up this summer.

But if we had money to spend (which we clearly didn't) might we have tried to pry someone loose, like an Ake? Not saying he was available or would be a perfect fit, but we didn't even try.

Whereas we clearly tried quite hard for several cheap loanable wingers simultaneously.

Obviously time to move on, but like I said above, the verdict will come in May. I hope Emery proves me wrong!

5. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    No worries, Emery can always slot Xhaka in at CB.;)

NorthBank repped this.
  6. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    I gotcha, and I don’t disagree. But I do think the club tried at least some. Emery said they were looking for a CB in December for cover. We were linked with Cahill, Bailly and that RB from Napoli. I think the club had been set on a winger since miki went down and our chance creation dropped. So, yes, those winger irons probably were a little hotter and shown more brightly through the rumor mill.

I always liked ake, although Bournemouth have a penchant for conceding 3+ goals in single games so I’m a bit cautious. I wonder if Bournemouth are preparing to lose him with their signing this January.

As an aside, does anyone know if Suarez counts as homegrown from his days at city?

7. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    So what’s up with Reese Nelson btw? Anyone tracking him? I just looked at his stats and looks like he’s just getting sub minutes mostly since November.

8. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Just returning fro. Injury.

9. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So I haven't found anything confirming PSG truly offered for Ozil. Was that just an informal inquiry? If they did offer why did anyone say no to that? It would seem a win-win-win scenario, IMO, since it's obvious Mesut isn't going to star here.