Out with the old... Jan 2019 transfer thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Sep 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes Cahill is the main CB you hear mentioned lately. Given what just happened to our injury list, I'd take him now in a heartbeat. We're down to Mustafi as our only fit senior CB. That is a sobering thought.

(I'm leaving out out Mavropanos because he's still an untested kid and he's not even 100% back from injury himself. I'm also leaving out Monreal because he's not been fit enough to start at his favored LB position, let alone at CB where I've never really thought he was anything other than a short stop-gap)

I suppose Evans & Jones are out of the question?

2. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't seen him in a while (has anyone?). Will he get killed playing a high line like we do? :unsure:

3. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't know if you've noticed, but every single one of our defenders get killed playing the high line like we do ;)

Shen-O repped this.
  4. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Valverde just confirmed Suarez. Barring anything ridiculous, he's our player.

If we can end the window with one of Perisic, Carrasco, or Nkuku, without buying any of them on a permanent, Raul will have done solid business.

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess maybe. As long as you don't mind a defense that leaks goals and drops points.

6. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we can get a couple of loan deals then I would call this a success. Remember we made do with Benayoun and Kalstrom.

7. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better than buying Perisic or someone like Cahill at inflated prices.

8. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, who are we going to loan for defense? Cahill?

At this point I would rather just upgrade in the summer if that's an option. We can actually add some attackers that better fit the system this window.

We can try to outscore our way to the Champions League.

9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Outscoring our way to top 4? I think you're dreaming a bit there. But I'd be happy to be proven wrong of course.

If we don't qualify for UCL, then we might not have much money to "upgrade in summer". I think the short-term mission to qualify is strategically vital at this point.

Not to mention for the manager to preserve his job, and get a total of 3 transfer windows under his belt, which is commonly cited as what's needed for a new project.

p.s. 3 mos ago I wouldn't have wanted Cahill or Evans or ?? But now, with Mustafi being practically all we've got, it's a different ballgame.

10. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The defense problem is more a systematic problem than a personel problem, even with all the injuries.

Emery said it himself that his plan is to give our defenders confidence, and make our team more compact. He's failed to do that so far. If he can do that, then our defense would be that much better even with no reinforcements.

11. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    The problem is that a new defender can come in and do a job, but it will take a few games to get a hold of what emery wants—where the fullbacks will be, how high a line, when to play out, when to push up, when to drop, etc.

I think this is why he plays xhaka as Aux CB often—not for his defensive characteristics, but because he has the most minutes in the squad and knows what is going on.

So, I wonder if he might just play xhaka/mustafi there until Kos comes back. Mavropanos, lischsteiner and Nacho as cover or for a back 3 as well. I’m not opposed, but is Cahill or some other rusty loaner going to be much better than a player who knows the system?

12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, there's that. But the quality/experience level of the players is a vital foundation for achieving the system. And I don't think there's any Arsenal fan or pundit who feels that we have adequate quality in our defense at this moment in time.

To put it slightly differently, you're very unlikely to make a beautiful system work with crappy components.

13. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Don't agree. Anytime we get somewhere close to a defence that looks first team with a game or two under its belt it looks good enough.

The back 5 was actually pretty good until Holding went down. The back four we just lost was also looking very good as well.

14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. One which we've all considered. But I'd bring in a well-chosen vet, and take my chances. I don't know if Cahill is that man, to fit into our system quickly (that's what our scouting team is for) but I think they are taking a massive gamble if they don't bring in at least one CB reinforcement, including short-term loanee, and then in the summer someone more permanent.

15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's my point. We keep using up those players. And what we're left with is Mustafi, Xhaka, Monreal, Mavropanos & Lichsteiner for CB... not one of those you would call a natural and solid CB. (Mavro being the big wildcard, but do you want to bet the ranch on him?)

16. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Screw it. If he's ready health-wise, let Mavropanos have at it. If nothing else it will give us an even clearer picture of what we need to do in the summer one way or another.

17. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    His narrative will also have more cut thru with millennial audiences

18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now there's a good reason to pick an XI!

19. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    His jaw has to be wheeled into position by a team of Oxen

20. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I seeing something a bit heartbreak high

Young greek immigrant from the wrong side of the tracks trying to make his way in the big city

21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like we may little or no choice now. Mustafi just came up lame in tonight's match. He's struggling to run it off. There will have to be at the very least some lingering effects on his fitness.

Y'all still agree with Emery that we should bring in wingers and no central defenders?

22. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Emery said they were trying to bring in a CB didn’t he? I just doubt there are many decent options available on loan at least. I’ll take Cahill though as insurance for sure.

At the moment I’m very concerned with RB from an attacking point of view. Jenkenson can cross and run and isn’t a terrible defender, but going forward he and Lichtsteiner just kill everything down that side. Almost nothing comes off through RB without bellarin. It got to the point where emery kept jenko back and pulled Ramsey and laca over there to link up with Auba.

Meanwhile chambers scored a cracker today. He’s turning into quite a decent DM I think. That’s good for us either as a future option or for resale value.

We just need to scrap through this season, focus on EL unless Chelsea and spurs dump it. I’m confident we will take another step in the summer and be more competitive next season.

23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1173 NorthBank, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    Actually the last thing I recall him saying in a presser about CB specifically was to play down the idea of bringing someone in. He did that typical manager thing that Wenger did a lot... he said that we have quite a lot of talent in that position, including Mavropanos who's just coming back from injury. But that comment came before we lost Sok for a month and Kos for some perhaps less clear amount of time, maybe shorter? And certainly it came before Mustafi did something to his ankle tonight and toughed it out for a long spell. If they do literally nothing about this obvious decimation in our defense, I will lose significant faith. Just sayin.

Edit: I just learned that AMN picked up some sort of knee injury either in the last match or training, which is why he wasn't in the squad today. As he was poised to be our primary RB during the run in, that's surely a bit of a worry. Hopefully it's not too bad, but just another blow to our back line. When will it end??

24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watched Arsenal World show. And it threw a little light on this year's window, here are some January signings from the recent past:

Campbell
    Eboue
    Walcott
    Adebayor
    Monreal
    Aubameyang

25. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC