Out with the old... Jan 2019 transfer thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Sep 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are many variables and hypotheticals regarding Brexit. Nobody knows what's gonna happen or not happen. So I suspect they weren't thinking about that too much when they made the Ramsey decision. And I wouldn't exactly fault them for that. Although letting him go in general is another matter... not a slam dunk easy decision IMO.

2. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    I think he's worse off the way it's actually played out. I don't think we know for sure about the "injury" business. It's probably bullshit, but we don't know for sure.

The thing that Ozil (and the club) have misunderstood is that it's actually significantly worse for Ozil's reputation to be injured than it is to be benched.

3. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Madrid was long time ago in a galaxy far far away. Ozil's present standing is being defined by Arsenal and Germany, neither of which are looking good for him.

4. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    It goes to his character and reinforces the following sentence from the Cannon Insider tweet posted by Jitty

"I’ve heard positive things about his behaviour, his commitment, his relationships with the teammates".

Fifty repped this.
  5. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    I get it, but it's still a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. Ozil did very good things at Wolfsburg and Real. But his current status as a player, his current character for that matter, is defined by what he's done for Arsenal and the 2018 World Cup cycle for Germany.

6. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Also, nobody's really talked about yet but this Denis Suarez thing is a pretty clear crucible for Raul Sanhelli.

It's not completely obvious how much he "ought" to be worth, considering he's not playing for Barca and hasn't been for a while. And for Arsenal, there's also a reverse Cesc situation where the player has come out and said he's not signing for anyone other than Arsenal this window.

Supposedly Barca wants 20MM GBP for him which seems to me to be full value. Given the circumstances we should be getting him at a substantial discount from that. That seems to me to be a bigger deal than this back-and-forth over loan vs. permanent purchase. It seems to me that a loan plus an obligated option to buy is the same thing as a purchase, but quibbling over the payment schedule.

If Denis comes here, I hope he does well for us. In general I'm bullish because he represents the right direction Arsenal needs to go in several ways. But I'd be a lot more excited about him if he comes at a discount as opposed to fair value.

7. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stop with this Suarez nonsense. He’s a mediocre player.

Iwobi will produce what Suarez does if he comes here, and he’s younger and (probably) playing out of position.

DaPrince84 and Super Llama repped this.
  8. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Nonsense or not, this is clearly a credible possibility, the most credible at this moment and maybe the only one for January.

He may, but he hasn't yet, so I'd like to see somebody else get a chance.

9. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Seems better if it comes to a head now if Emery truly thinks he doesn’t need ozil like the press is pushing. Then ozil can go on loan now and we can loan someone in. If Emery can be successful without him (top four or Europa), then ozil can leave in the summer. If Emery can’t get it done without ozil and can’t work with him then we can bring in a manager who can.

As a far as ozil’s character, I don’t think that up for question. We know that Emery demands intensity and aggression. It’s not even debatable that ozil can lack intensity and agression at times. It could just be that Emery was pushing him to be more of those things and ozil didn’t like it. AW coddled him we know—Ramsey admitted to it.

10. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    He played for Bremen and Schalke not wolfie

yossarian and Super Llama repped this.
  11. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Ted on Arse failure

1086205346346090496 is not a valid tweet id

12. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But all this can just as easily be done at bench conference, under the radar, whatever metaphor one wants to use, with the added benefit of Ozil not having called Emery out publicly. If it all stays ambiguous and out of the public like that, both sides can more easily reconcile if they decide it's best to do so. A war of words via the press will only entrench positions, IMHO.

Newer reports seem to be backing this up. Having played for Mourinho and others, I don't think anyone has ever questioned whether Ozil works hard, other than the silly body language "experts" in the press. But yeah, it appears that he hasn't ramped it up to the intensity that Emery requires, although those same newer reports also indicate that he is now in an effort to change his status.

13. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Fair.

Yes, we’ve talked about it at length that ozil works hard in his own way—ground covered, number of sprints, etc. Maybe ozil will respond to emery’s challenge and actually come out a better player, or maybe Emery will find a balance with him. Or maybe not. Ancelotti said he chose dimaria instead of ozil because of “a profile of dynamism, character and help to the team I preferred Di Maria.” Ironic that many fans wanted ancelotti as our manager.

Emery doesn’t have a lot of time, so I understand emery pushing ozil to be more consistent, more aggressive, etc. if that’s all it is. But if it’s more like emery making and example, scapegoating, etc. then I think the fans should know so we can support the player.

14. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I see the Emery v Ozil sitdown as being more dogs of Berlin style but straight to Snapchat for the kidz

15. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the move happens then let's wait a while and hold judgement. Salah and KdB were EPL flops no? Pique and Pogba too. In a sense, Cesc and Bellerin were Barca rejects and so was Arteta. On the other hand Song and Hleb were considered worthy of Barca contracts.

16. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What Ozil is doing is very smart. Keep your had down and work hard. The worst thing that can happen is that you move on to a team and you are injury free and healthy as a horse. You have also shown your commitment and dedication to the world. The Germany situation was very different.

17. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    In fairness, song did have 12 assists for us the year he moved to Barca. He had a knack for finding RVPs left foot and I suspect they thought he could do the same with Messi et al.

So in the absence of miki and assuming we can’t buy any proven talent, is 2x iwobi a bad idea at least until the end of the season?

18. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no problem with loaning him in. I was referring to @KozIsCul and his overenthusiasm for the player.

I wouldn't spend money on him, ftr, but a loan is fine and if he proves himself you can buy him in the summer. I don't for one second think he's going to be amazing, though.

19. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    My mistake, I meant Bremen. It kinda shows my point though, in an ironic way.

20. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    I don't remember Ozil being publically called out. Certainly not at the beginning, he just wasn't playing.

The club presumably thought that they needed to spin it somehow, ergo the "injuries". To be honest I don't think they did. A new manager comes in, one of their current players wasn't bought by the new manager, doesn't fit with the new manager's ideas, etc. etc. All that is way less damaging for Ozil and is basically what his defenders believe to be the truth anyway.

What are you talking about, the whole world has been questioning that for a decent while, before Emery and not just "body language" either.

21. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Given the situation I don't think my enthusiasm for Denis Suarez is excessive. It's not like I'm expecting him to be Mbappe or DeBruyne, etc. I'm also sensitive to price. At 10MM I think he's got to be a steal considering what that buys in today's market. At 20MM I'm much less enthusiastic, though obviously I hope he does well for us if we do buy him.

In the bigger picture, I think Denis has two things going for him. We need him, and if he's in decent shape we can play him as soon as he walks in the door. And maybe more importantly, he moves the club in the direction we need to go. Ie, we need to be deeper, younger, faster, more technical, and especially cheaper, and Denis is most or all of those things.

Though to be honest, given this week's turmoil it's hard to say if there's really a coherent strategy operating at the club. Fwiw I did think there was. I'm less sure now.

22. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. I'm fine with a loan, but I really hope that mandatory purchase "option" isn't true.

23. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I have been reading on Suarez today is 6mo loan for 2m euro fee with a 20m euro buy option in the summer. Assuming we would purchase that would make the total (fee + option) just shy of 20m GBP.

24. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    I’m reading conflicting reports. If it is a mandatory purchase that would imply that we are having FFP issues and need to defer it until next season. I’d guess it’s from all the spending the last two years. There really is no other reason to do such a loan+mandatory purchase as far as I know. Isn’t that why mbappe had a loan last year?

From Barca’s perspective this does seem more likely as well since his contract is up next summer I think. So he would be in a Ramsey situation if we didn’t take the purchase option and I can’t see them letting him get to that position.

As for FFP, it really wasn’t a concern before since we never spent so I never really bothered to fully grasp it. So is the gyst that the club has to break even over a three year period? Is it a rolling period or absolute? I can definitely see us not breaking even over the last three years.

25. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #975 Tonerl, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    FFP implications would be about wages, so only indirectly about our recent spend.

Seems like we’ve rebuffed the mandatory aspect of the (now potential?) purchase from the latest reports, though. (Thank Christ.)