Out with the old... Jan 2019 transfer thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Sep 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, theoretically, if the day just goes by where the UK leaves the EU then everybody who's not a UK citizen needs to leave and reapply to get back in. 2/3 of the players would just have to leave. I think it could destroy the PL in about a week.

2. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please let this happen so all the geniuses who believe foreigners are crippling the English national team, can finally have their cake and eat it too.

Fifty repped this.
  3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #928 NorthBank, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    As big as the EPL is. And it's really big for us here on this board. The effect of Brexit on non-British EPL players would be a pretty tiny wave in the ocean of ramifications. I'll admit I'm no Brexit scholar, but I keep thinking that they're gonna pull back from the brink, get another extension on Article 50, have another referendum, and then either the vote is to stay (which could lead to it's own sort of domestic unrest) or leave (but at least they'd have bought some more time to figure "how" to leave). But it's crazy stuff these days... on both sides of the Atlantic.

[Edit 1 day later: thank you to everyone for showing restraint in not slamming what may be a naive interpretation of Brexit options, or for that matter voicing a little bit of politics on a footy board]

4. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right, but it still doesn't mean that there are shitloads of idiots who wouldn't understand what was happening until their entertainment stopped.

NorthBank repped this.
  5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meanwhile, in between stories today about the dysfunction in Washington & London, I was thinking about Arsenal's predicament this week...

The dominant feeling for me right now is of an organization which was in really bad shape (financially, management wise, etc) but they did a good job of keeping it under the covers.

Yeah for months there's a primary running controversy which just wouldn't resolve (in our case, that's Ozil) but still the negative focus is pretty narrow. Then, all of a sudden, in the course of a few days, several more bad things are disclosed, and then you realize how bad it seems to be.

And when things like this happen, management has to somehow get out in front of the problem, and some very senior person needs to be a public spokesperson. To mitigate the concern.

There is surely fact-based concern, and then there is also irrational or speculative concern. They should at least be able to do a reasonable job of quelling the latter.

And if they don't, I think in a very short time this might snowball out of control. With the media having a feeding frenzy. Which could induce further turmoil.

Pray no.

6. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    #931 The Jitty Slitter, Jan 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    Individual countries control their own visa requirements

For example Holland and Germany already made statements that UK passport holders resident in those countries don't have to leave

The UK already has it's own process for settled status

So basically this won't impact current premium league players

Future players will need to apply for work permits

Super Llama repped this.
  7. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yes basically EU players would now need to go thru the work permit process same as say a Brazillian.

Of course HM Gov can make any regs it likes in these spaces.

Super Llama repped this.
  8. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Depends on status.

No EU players would currently have work permits as they were not required.

Some EU players will be eligible for settled status - e.g there are guys who have been in the UK 5 or more years, who if they were not on an EU passport, would now be eligible to apply for citizenship if they wanted to. This is where it is all unfair on EU citizens. If you went to the UK say as a Brazillian, you would have got a work permit in your passport, so now 5 years later you would be ready to take the test and get your UK passport. This is what all my kiwi friends did, but ironically our european buddies, some of whom stayed in the UK much longer, end up with nothing.

If you were not in the UK for 5 years, you can still get presettled status.

This seems to be the equivalent of Indefinite Leave to Remain better known as ILR. So you can stay until you qualify for citizenship.

Of course this is all fine in theory but whether you actually get given this by the Home Office is another matter. I guess footballers will get nice treatment compared to everyone else.

https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families/what-settled-and-presettled-status-means

If you weren't living and working in the UK before 31 Dec 2020 you cannot apply under this grandfather system and you'd need to get a work permit.

NorthBank repped this.
  9. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think it stops Chelsea and city farming youth

Maybe we see kids staying and actually developing before they move?

Instead of being written off at 21

Ps fcuk Brexit

10. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Britain Raus!

thebigman repped this.
  11. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This thread re Ornstein suggests Ozil has been holding up his end

Instead Emery wants him out for financial reasons and has told him it would be best if he leaves

12. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    I know emery can be petty. He had a bust up with Neymar bc he wanted to do shooting practice instead of stretching with the team. I think he had a bust up with Bacca (or maybe Banega) when the player refused to do the required cold shower/icing or whatever after only making a sub appearance. Emery smoothed those over though pretty quickly iirc.

I can totally see this escalating from near nothing. Would be nice if ozil would actually come out with his side of it instead of the passive aggressive Instagram posts.

13. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn’t make psg issues a big deal
    Neymar is a primaDonna

14. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    why?

This would do nothing but make things worse.

And when in Ozil's career has he been a malcontent? People believing Emery's side with no evidence. Ozil loved playing under that sociopath Mourinho. He is not the big problem.

Fifty, Super Llama and casoccerdad47 repped this.
  15. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Didn’t say he was malcontent. Just said it would be nice to have actual and direct words if there is as much to this as the press is projecting—remember him slaughtering DFB?

In any case, Emery said today that ozil is in contention for Chelsea. He trained for two weeks since he was out so I guess we will see. If he is picked then I guess whoever is the instigator has come around.

16. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    yeah, and Ozil then retired from German National team after that. Do you want Ozil to retire from Arsenal?

17. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I reckon the management would be ecstatic with that. Save them 350k/week.

Romfordray and DaPrince84 repped this.
  18. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Jesus dude. Of course not. If ozil is being pushed out the door by Emery as the press is pushing though, he should speak up. What’s he got to lose?

Assuming ozil is fit and stays fit, the next couple of weeks should shed light. The window will close, there are big games which we need him to play and play well.

19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This, this, this, and this.

20. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with @DaPrince84. I don't see anything good coming from a direct Ozil response. I think him keeping his head down and working hard to possibly change Emery's mind is his best course. Explicitly contradicting or challenging him in the press would only (IMO) make Emery go on the defensive and there'd be almost no chance of reconciliation. As it now stands there could be, and if worst case we go through the rest of the season with Emery only playing him sporadically, then he can try to orchestrate a move in the summer.

21. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    His standing. It doesn't look good for him to speak up now.

The Germany situation was different because he retired. He scorched Earth and said Im out. This is different.

22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meanwhile, Ramsey's departure marches on...

23. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless he's playing against us, I wish him nothing but the best. Hope he's a success there.

2 - nil down, 3 - 2 up. That's how Arsenal won the Cup.......

Romfordray, Super Llama and NorthBank repped this.
  24. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    IIRC, there were reports that he was well liked by both factions of a fractured clubhouse at Madrid.

Fifty and DaPrince84 repped this.
  25. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Linking this to another topic on this thread, if after Brexit, work permits get sifgnificantly more difficult to obtain, are Arsenal going to regret letting Ramsey walk?