out of business within 2 years

Discussion in 'NJ/NY Sky Blue' started by scalvixen, Aug 2, 2009.

1. geewizzz

geewizzz Member

Sep 4, 2008
    you obviously don't understand WPS. I suggest you go back to the start and read up on it and what they are trying to do. Club owners, coaches and players.

2. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    If that comment was to me, I have to say I am laughing..So what you are saying its an amateur league? Players have very few options to play anywhere in the off season! Yes they need food and housing..I am sure they don't want to live with mommy and daddy when they are 30..But please tell me what is the WPS...Should I feel sorry for them? Buy tickets and support them like a charity?
    maybe the coaches should be part time then?? Maybe they shouldn't be making what they are..Remember the WPS is a product not a development league-Its the final product..

3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Perhaps they meant the per diems and team meals.

Sports salaries don't compare to "real world" wages very well. There are certain benefits that folks in the same income brackets tend not to get. Most folks making 30k/year don't get per diems, fair amounts of clothing, the same level of health care, etc.. that minor league professional athletes do.

1 person likes this.
  4. ManUFan17

ManUFan17 New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What are you smoking? On July 4th the Somerset Patriots had their lowest attendance of the season. WPS will NEVER compete with the Yankees or Mets - EVER. Compare apples to apples, not apples to grapefruits.

5. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I think my head is about to explode, so I'll simply tell you all that Andy and Star City Fan are right and most of the rest of you are way, way off.

1 person likes this.
  6. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://twitter.com/bdure_usat/statuses/3389025334

Would you have any read on the chances of Sky Blue playing at Red Bull Arena next season?

7. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I wouldn't say she sounded optimistic.

Maybe they can swing a couple of dates there, at least.

1 person likes this.
  9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question, what date was the WPS team founded?

10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Sometime in late 2007 I think. I can't find a reference from then, but they named Sawyers as their first coach 3/5/08.

ceezmad repped this.
  11. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to its web site

"Established in the fall of 2006, Sky Blue Soccer made its debut on the field with the launch of Jersey Sky Blue in the W-League of the United Soccer Leagues in 2007. Sky Blue Soccer operated Jersey Sky Blue for two successful seasons before creating a partnership with Quickstrike FC of New York which included the transfer of the W-League franchise to that club.
    Sky Blue FC was a member of Women’s Professional Soccer (WPS) for all three seasons, beginning in 2009 with the launch of WPS. Sky Blue FC won the inaugural WPS Championship."

12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So arguably the start of Sky Blue FC is when Sky Blue and Quickstrike merged.

So I just have to figure out when that happened.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson_Valley_Quickstrike_Lady_Blues

13. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I don't know where you are going with this, but I think Tom H. started the W league club and organization with the intent of joining in the start up of a new professional league whenever that was going to happen. Technically maybe the Sky Blue club started when ever WPS was first announced or organized (2008?).

14. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why bring this thread back to the top? This guys grammatically poor, highly negative thread titles are a blight and shouldn't be responded to.

Don't feed the troll. Let this be the last post ever to this thread.