Our Song

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Red Card, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought this thread was going to be about the "We Love You" chant (Sung after the Little Peggy March song "I will follow him") that permeates US and MLS matches, which to my knowledge started with FC St. Pauli fans. Of course, there is a US connection because that chant started to be sung by the Reeperbahn Pirates around the time Cory Gibbs played for them.

Does anybody know if the Pirates decided to sing an American song because a Yank started to play for them, or was it a coincidence?

3. saxman

saxman Member

Nov 12, 2005
    Frederick,Maryland
    I can't understand why I have never actually heard that being sung at a US game. Can't we get enough people singing in the stadium to be able to hear it on TV?

I'm a musician and I've been dying to get enough other musician friends to buy a ticket to a game to put together about an 8 piece New Orleans style brass band for the game. You can bet we'll play God Bless America" and folks better sing along!!!

4. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God Bless America is usually sung in the march-in or before the game. It is usually never sung in-game, probably because it has a slow tempo. I have sung it at pretty much every national team game I have attended. I wouldn't mind hearing it in-game.

Woody Guthrie's response to that song, "This land is your land", would make for a much better chant because the tempo can be sped up and it would sound great. I am also surprised that "Over There" has not been made into a US song either.

The songs I hear on TV the most is "We Love You" (sung to the tune of Little Peggy March's "I will follow him") and "Let's go U S A" (sung to the tune of Men Without Hat's "Pop Goes the World"), as well as the "Seven Nation Army" White Stripes chant. And of course, the traditional "USA 3claps USA" chant.

You used to hear the "Estados Unidos" chant at every single game, but not so much anymore these days. The last time I heard the section do that chant was Nashville 06. We also seemed to phase out "ole oleoleole, USA, USA" as well, which used to be common. Although, one hispanic song that seems to be getting popular is the "Vamos, Vamos el US, esta noche tenemos que ganar" as well as the "Dale Dale" song.

One song you don't hear often on TV is the "Wu Tang Clan" US chant, which of course tends to have the ESPN guys turn of the mics closest to the section. :D Believe me, it's sung a lot. And yes, I love it.

5. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lYyQCBkNME"]HD Taylor Swift - Our Song (Official Full Music Video) HD - YouTube[/ame]

really? I don't think this will work????

6. FakeFlopper

FakeFlopper Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    I would love to one year hear "America, F**k Yea!" But it wouldn't be age appropriate, lol.

7. fifty7

fifty7 Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Long Island
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got goosebumps when God Bless America was sung all around Red Bull Arena during the game on September 10th against Vancouver.

8. SuperChivo

SuperChivo Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yankee Doodle, I would love to hear that sung in CONCACAF qualifying. We could even alter the lyrics for soccer, but it wouldn't be necessary.