Our road to World Cup glory!

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by One Part, Jul 23, 2008.

1. One Part

One Part Member

Jun 20, 2008
    I cannot wait for it to start. But what do you really think? will we finish above the Netherlands? Henry is backing us. I would say if we win the first 3 i think we will win the group. If we drop any points in the opening 3 we can get 2nd.

News is that Macedonia are upping there challenge by moving our opening game to 3pm with hope that the baking heat will cost Scotland points on the road. This opening game i think is the dodgey one!

What is everyone thinking pre-tournament? Scotland to finish second then hump England in a playoff...now that would be exciting!

2. amrizzle

amrizzle Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Footballistan
    We should at least get second in the group IMO, the Norwegians are a hard working side but they lacked anything special in their Euro qualifiers.

Holland are beatable as was shown by Russia in the Euros, let's hope we can top the group especially if we are able to beat Holland at home. However a play off place is also decent, beating England in that would be something special :D

BTW anyone know when tickets will go on sale for the first round?

3. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    You have to think we''ll come second. I think we have as much chance of finishing above Holland as Norway do of finishing above us.

I think Macedonia are a tough team and could cost us but I don't think they'll finish above us.

4. st mirren till i die

Jul 14, 2007
    Glasgow
    Club:
    Saint Mirren FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I think we'll finish 3rd.

5. celtic76

celtic76 Member

Aug 30, 2001
    WI USA
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    2nd I think is very realistc, Norway aren't as good as they appear to be at times and Mace are a poor sid at best but they can be tough at home. That match i belive will decide on weather we finish second or first. Holand will be tough at home so we must get a win at home and hope Holand slips against Norway so where along the line.

6. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    unfortunately, i can't see you qualifying.

7. camerondocherty

camerondocherty New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    nj
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    2nd place in the group is very realistic..if everything goes to plan, then the 2nd placed teams in the groups according to seedings would be..

sweden
    israel
    poland
    russia
    turkey
    england
    bulgaria
    romania

in a play-off over two legs i think we can beat anyone there. this is definently our best chance in a while to qualify for a major tournament.

8. One Part

One Part Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Its going to happen. We will win this group and i think we will beat our personal best and make it to the knockout stages with a bit of luck.

With a bit of luck the world cup is in the bag.

Here we come!

9. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    far too much alcohol being consumed these days by members of this board...

i blame the Yank for it...

10. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Yeah, yeah, yeah.

11. camerondocherty

camerondocherty New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    nj
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    well take it one game at a time starting with macedonia away. northern ireland game should help burley find out exactly who he wants to play. itll be a tough hostile environment i assume and england only got a 0-0 there when they played. a win is a must though to keep up with holland in the early going.

12. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    squad for the friendly against N. Ireland.

Goalkeepers: Craig Gordon (Sunderland), David Marshall (Norwich City), Allan McGregor (Rangers)

Defenders: Darren Barr (Falkirk), Christophe Berra (Heart of Midlothian), Gary Caldwell (Celtic), Callum Davidson (Preston North End), Stephen McManus (Celtic), Kevin McNaughton (Cardiff City), Gary Naysmith (Sheffield United), Steven Whittaker (Rangers)

Midfielders: Scott Brown (Celtic), Kris Commons (Derby County), Darren Fletcher (Manchester United), Paul Hartley (Celtic), James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion), Gavin Rae (Cardiff City), Barry Robson (Celtic) , Kevin Thomson (Rangers)

Forwards: Kris Boyd (Rangers), David Clarkson (Motherwell), Steven Fletcher (Hibernian), James McFadden (Birmingham City), Kenny Miller (Rangers)

keepers as expected.

nice to see Darren Barr get a call up. he always looks decent anytime i see him live or on TV. hopefully he gets some playing time in this one. preferably ahead of Berra who i just don't rate that highly.

Callum Davidson? back in at 32?

midfielders are mostly the usual suspects although i have no idea what sort of player Kris Commons is. Burley obviously knows him quite well from his time down there. i'd like to see him get some time as well, purely because i've never seen him play before. at least i don't think i have. could be a big season for Michael Stewart. if he has a good season at Hearts he may force his way in.

strikers are the norm mainly as well. surprised though that McCormack didn't get the nod again. not sure what hes done wrong since the last time he played. i'd still like to see Lee Miller be given a chance in a friendly such as this but it doesn't look like its ever going to happen for him.

13. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    call off time again. here are the 5 that have called off (so far...) -

Gary Caldwell
    Paul Hartley
    Gavin Rae
    Kevin McNaughton
    Callum Davidson

George has called up three replacements -

Michael Stewart
    Davie Weir
    Graham Alexander

i like the Stewart call up although i doubt he'll play but if he continues to improve this season then he may get a chance, eventually.

perplexed by Weir and Alexander. any point in calling up either of these players for a friendly? they both served Scotland well but are surely past playing their best, especially at international level.

14. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Is YankHibee the designated drinker?

15. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    he wouldn't have it any other way.

16. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    My head hurts.

Stewart is fantastic when he's fantastic. The rest of the time he's terrible.

17. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    yep. i get that.

which is why i said if he continues to improve this season. even so, i doubt he'll get near the pitch.

what i don't get is picking over 35yr olds for a friendly, even if they're only part of the squad!?!?

18. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    The pensioners make no sense to me either.

19. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Scotland will finish 2nd in the group. Anyone in the group has as good a chance or better of toppling us than we do of toppling De Oranje. I make this claim based solely on pace of play. Holland has everyone in this group outmatched based soley and purely on pace.

As far as weir getting in...I don't get it, I would actually prefer Dailly or Webster to get a sniff before old man time does...especially in a friendly, get some unproven qualities in and see what they can/could do.

No Bazza/Hartley combo is going to hurt.

20. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Exactly! Utter nonsense, give the youth time
    to grow and develop.

21. Burkies Ginger Mop

Burkies Ginger Mop New Member

May 20, 2004
    London
    Does anyone give a sh1t about tonights game? Two weeks into the season and already an international game. Seems a bit silly.

22. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Game has kicked off and as usual the bigots (Tartan Army) have boo'ed God Save the Queen, I swear to God they are all borderline retarded.

From the beeb:

23. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    what an absolute bore of a first half.

doubt i'll watch the second.

24. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think having all these friendlies
    is a bunch of nonsense and is
    just asking for injuries.

25. Bread Bin

Bread Bin New Member

Aug 18, 2008
    Dose any one know roughtly how much a ticket to a home qualifyer will be. As i am hoping to go to Scotland VS Norway.

Any help will be appriciated. thanks