Our Next Coach

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Lazy Assed Assassin, Apr 23, 2017.

1. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, Miguel Herrera! I remember that guy now. I wouldn't mind him if Bradley or Sigi don't sign.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  2. RAJ88

RAJ88 Member

Jan 14, 2000
    I'll take Sigi over Onalfo any day, but it is the predictable safe boring hire. No more stale retreads like Sigi and Yallop. I have always wanted the flashy hire and out of the box thinking. I would take Eric Wynalda or Giovanni Savarese.

galaxydeadhead repped this.
  3. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The Beautiful Gamer and WarGalaxy repped this.
  4. salvikicks

salvikicks Member+

Mar 6, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You gotta go big on coach, can't be cheap especially if you want to stay ahead of that new team moving in a few miles north.

I'd be good with Sigi, Bradley, or Herrera.

5. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    ...or Iniesta this summer?

sorry, I think I'm in a sadness delirium.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  6. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    If Ante has been coaching the forwards and designing the offense, it hasn't been a success. Gio has been as awful and Gyasi has been almost as bad. On the other hand if he was responsible for moving JJ to the 9, Gyasi to the right wing, Gio or RA to the left/attacking mid position like we saw briefly in the second half, then maybe he could do it.

7. Papillon Soo Soo

Jan 17, 2012
    Herrera will be managing Club America in less than a year. He left them the first time on good terms - as a champion to take over the Mex NT. With his success at Tijuana, I'm certain he will be courted back to Azteca as soon as the job opens up again.

I think LAG go for Bradley or Sigi.

It sure would be something if Galaxy hired Bradley and LAFC hired Klinnsman.

8. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They don't come much bigger than Sigi

cleschke, Skevin, jscott23 and 13 others repped this.
  9. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only imagining it because it would mean Onalfo is gone and another coach is coming...kinda like Cobi post-Ruud, pre-Bruce.

73Bruin and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  10. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like the Klinsmann era, the players individually get a pass from me. Everybody looks crap -- touches, passes and shots are off from players that're normally more reliable -- which to me is a sign everyone is reacting to what the other team is doing instead of implementing a tactical plan.

Berks, 73Bruin and Geneva repped this.
  11. jscott23

jscott23 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2003
    Poway, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would not be upset with Sigi as an interim Head Coach. Way back when I thought that the GM job was more important. I said it then, and I'll say it until I die. Pete and Curt were in way over their heads from the beginning. Let's start doing the job that needed to be done when Bruce left. Rebuild the FO!

That said, I would not be opposed to Klinsman, or even Andi Herzog. They know the players and the league, the NT pool and have great contacts overseas. Regardless of what USMNT fans think of JK, players will come play for him.

I've never liked Bob Bradley, but I have the utmost respect for him, thought he got a raw deal in Swansea without the benefit of a single transfer window, and was rooting for him to succeed. He's a great coach. Full stop. He might want GM level control. Will Klein give it to him.

A gut like Raineri or Herrera would be fantastic, but they'll need a MLS savvy GM to assist them. Another guy who could be available is Rafa Benitez. He got Newcastle back up to the Premier League but if he doesn't get the financial support from that idiot owner, Rafa will leave. I have always said there is no salary cap on your coaching staff and youth academy, and those are precisely the places LAG need to break the bank. We need to make sure LAFC is always the 2nd team. Luis Enrique anyone?? Why not? What a statement that would be.

kaburu, ProudNatRN, hav77 and 3 others repped this.
  12. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #37 WarGalaxy, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    My realistic #1 guy would be Aitor Karanka. He actually has MLS experience as player. As a coach, he was an assistant at Real Madrid and has head coaching experience in the Premier League. He speaks both Spanish and English, and has the pedigree to command respect from the veterans day 1.

Papillon Soo Soo, shelbo and Geneva repped this.
  13. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Bradley hasn't been ruined in Europe by Swansea railroading him, he's my #1 choice, followed by Herrera and Sigi. Im still rooting for Swansea to be relegated for what they did. I'd be ok with Berhalter, too.

Jurgen Klinsmanns is kaput (heh watched Mr. Bean sings Ode to Joy/Freedom)

TheLostUniversity repped this.
  14. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Off topic, but Bradley knew what he was getting into with Swansea. Their owners are insane. They sold their best defender and replaced him with no one of quality. Plus they fired their manager because he lost to the best clubs in the league.

I'd love Bradley here though. I am not sure if he is willing to quit his european adventure yet though. I am sure if he holds out long enough, he'd probably get another decent job in a big league.

15. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm usually not a fan but Corner of the Galaxy had a great episode this week. They cover a ton of problems the team is facing, but they also talk about the coaching search. Seems like Bradley is set on Europe but might be tempted by LAFC. Sigi is our guy.

Listen to it if you want to feel worse about Onalfo, our FO, and the locker room.

kaburu repped this.
  16. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Remind me not to hire you for a sales position.

TrickHog repped this.
  17. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    This is a fascinating turn of events. I would have said a year ago the LA Galaxy head coach position would be the most sought after in MLS. An expansion club on the other hand would be such a crap shoot, especially for new owners who may or may not be impatient.

The Galaxy on the other hand over the past 6 or 7 years have shown they’re willing to back their coach/GM financially and through rough patches and pay very well. A single poor off-season decision may have killed that.

The Cadaver, TrickHog and galvanator repped this.
  18. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Haha I could have sold that a lot better. Honestly, it was a therapeutic listen. Validates a lot of what is said here on the board in a lot less of a "the world is falling" vibe.

skydog repped this.
  19. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Seems like LAFC is appealing to Bob because they're willing to open their wallets to get him what he wants.

With LAG he'd be walking into a mess and owners who want to cut down on spending.

CoG also mentioned that the Galaxy FO is pretty cocky and arrogant when it comes to LAFC. Big mistake imo.

StillKickin, The Cadaver and galvanator repped this.
  20. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think the other factor is that there are a bunch of legacy players who might be hard to get rid of. If it were up to me, I think I might prefer the blank slate.

The Cadaver repped this.
  21. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Really? My impression was Curt & Pete got rid of most of LA’s legacy players. Looking at our roster McBean, Garcia, Villarreal are our longest serving players and it’s a stretch to consider them veterans, they’ve barely played despite being with the team for so long and all of them are expendable. Last week’s team sheet.

• 1 - Cole
    • 1 - Steres
    • 1 - Van Damme
    • 0 - Smith
    • 1 - Boateng
    • 0 - Jones
    • 0 - Pedro
    • 0 - Alessandrini
    • 2 - dos Santos (really 1.5)
    • 4 - Zardes
    • 5 - Rowe
    • ======== BENCH ========
    • 2 - Romney
    • 3 - Husidic
    • 5 - Garcia
    • 3 - Jamieson
    • 6 - McBean
    • 5 - Villarreal
    • 0 - Kempin
    • ======== DND ===========
    • 4 - Rogers
    • 0 - Villarreal
    • 1 - Diop
    • 0 - Diallo
    • 2 - Lassiter
    • 3 - Mendiola
    • 2 - Lleget (really 1.5)

The 10 outfield players last weekend share 10 years between them playing for the Galaxy, really 9 and a half. Not to bead the De LaGarza dead horse, but he had 8 years with LA. The only guys I would consider legacy players are Zardes and Rogers … which is just nuts. I’m getting old, but to me those two guys feel like fresh new faces. It’s one of the problems.

napper and The Cadaver repped this.
  22. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I was thinking more in terms of players who have major long-term contracts. Basically, Dos Santos, Zardes, Pedro and Jones (although I don't know who has the option here). I go back and forth on Zardes, but for the rest, if you told me I had to take them to get the rest of the roster, I would turn it down.

Our performance should be better given the quality on the roster, and maybe it's bad tactical coaching, but I also think it's because the parts don't fit together well, and if you have to blow it up, maybe it's better not to start with it at all.

23. wcmanes

wcmanes Member

May 28, 1999
    Riverside, Ca, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still think Zardes and Gio could be a very productive pairing with the right midfield. Lletget and Ema are fine. Alle could be ok with a solid defender behind him. Otherwise only Jelle is good enough if we ever want to be a top club again.

What's really depressing is how quickly Zardes and Lletget were improving when they went down. Zardes is clearly not back yet.

24. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also would take Sigi or Bob with no complaints.

73Bruin and The Cadaver repped this.
  25. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Hey guys, remember at the end of last season when people were unironically praising Pablo Masteroeni? I think some people in the press even mentioned him as a potential replacement for Arena. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I