Our liverbird, Bob

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Jun 7, 2018.

1. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow.

dadman, Cockspur and LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  2. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This has been quite bad news. I think all I need to say has been said. Condolences to his family and may Bob rest in peace.

dadman, russ, usscouse and 1 other person repped this.
  3. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Condolences to you and yours, Cockspur.

Your father was a scholar and gentleman.

He will be missed.

Ynwa.

usscouse and Cockspur repped this.
  4. Cockspur

Cockspur Member+

Jun 30, 2012
    Yes, I’m in Arlington va. That’d be great. If you’re still interested please feel free to shoot me a pm.

newterp repped this.
  5. Cockspur

Cockspur Member+

Jun 30, 2012
    B.A., russ, newterp and 4 others repped this.
  6. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    That’s the thing with Internet forums - most all the names are screen names, not our real ones. So you’re left with your own mental pictures of what the person is like from the posts. Yes, you can tell a few things if you study - approximate age, gender, family etc. But you rarely know the person or real name. And in the rare instance that you break through the Internet walls and meet in real life, the illusion is shattered forever more.

It’s funny, Bob/Liverbird looked kinda like I had imagined. Not exactly obviously, but kinda. A thoughtful man, no doubt. A happy man, a smiling man. And while the Flickr pics show a man who lived a full life and had a complete life away from these forums and even soccer, I think most all of us here on this Liverpool forum were glad he was one of us. Honored, probably. A happy man, a smiling man, a Liverpool man.

7. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I was fortunate enough to meet Bob on a work trip to DC more than 10 years ago. An incredible man and will be sorely missed here

His ratings of players post match were always spot on and I always felt he was a scouser at heart

RIP Liverbird!

RevsLiverpool, dadman, Cockspur and 4 others repped this.
  8. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    exactly!!!

[​IMG]
    that's me

dadman and el-capitano repped this.
  9. drobny23

drobny23 Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    He was loved and respected here.

Sorry for your loss, Andrew.

dadman, Cockspur and el-capitano repped this.
  10. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #85 RevsLiverpool, Oct 21, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    Very, very late on this but my sincerest condolences upom hearing about Bob's passing. I had the pleasure of meeting Bob and @Cockspur in Liverpool at the Spurs match in 2015. Always appreciated his great insight into the matches and admired his devotion to the club and his family. May he rest in peace.

11. Kawklee

Kawklee BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 30, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Similarly late to realize this passing. This community is filled with incredibly charming, insightful, and passionate fans. Bob and many of you were a great introduction to this group and make anyone stepping into it feel comfortable to join in and discuss with others. Its fantastic to see how many of you got the chance to meet him and enjoy our shared passion with him. It makes sense that someone so even keeled and generous would be both a veteran and civil servant.

All the best to his family, and the man himself, even while apart. ynwa.

12. Cockspur

Cockspur Member+

Jun 30, 2012
    Hi everyone, Mrs. LB asked that I share this with my dad's friends on BS.

This weekend our family gathered at the lovely and small Columbia Gardens Cemetery to memorialize Bob with a special niche engraved with a Celtic cross and enclosed an accompanying, cherished Liverpool scarf in the butterfly attracting flower crematory garden. It is surrounded by a lively, Arlington (Ashton Heights) family neighborhood full of life, and is close to our home, where we feel that family members and friends who may wish to visit can easily do so and remember Bob in a special way, celebrating his spirit in that vibrant and yet reflective place.

Again, we are so grateful for your support, the flow of generosity, touching notes and gestures celebrating the memories you had with Bob, and so many who donated to the Mr. Holland’s Opus on his behalf. We are touched that so many of you attended the reflections memorial at Murphys Funeral Home in July as well as the Irish Wake that Bob had requested. We know “you will never walk alone.”

[Columbia Gardens is located at 3511 Arlington Boulevard, Arlington Virginia, and the Cremation Garden is East, toward the back of the cemetery, away from Arlington Boulevard, in a small roundabout off of Azalea and Hillcrest Avenues toward the Oakland Street exit.]

Attached Files:

13. jeffcoop

jeffcoop BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for the update. Bob is missed around here--I think of him every time I read a match thread.

asitis, LiverpoolFanatic and Cockspur repped this.
  14. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yeah me too - I miss his thorough analysis post game...all the best to his family :thumbsup:

Cockspur repped this.
  15. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I considered Bob to be a friend. Enjoyed a Guinness, or 3 together. :)

Cockspur repped this.