Our liverbird, Bob

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Jun 7, 2018.

1. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Awful news, seemed a great guy.

B.A. and Cockspur repped this.
  2. Donfather

Donfather Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    my deepest and sincerest condolences to the family and close relatives.....such sad news

Cockspur repped this.
  3. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #53 usscouse, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Hello Andrew, I'm both incredibly sad about your loss and happy that your dad had his wonderful family with him at his end.

We met just a couple of times on his trips to Seattle and we chatted about families. He was so proud of his. I kept up on your football playing though him. He told me lately the the 'ball' is still part of your mancave.

We won't forget Liverbird. He was the first person to welcome me some15 years ago to BS.
    Thank you for being the man you are and letting us share.
    Ken

YNWA so RIP Bob.

4. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andrew, my deepest sympathies for your loss. Although I never met your father in person, I have enjoyed sharing with him our great love and interest in Liverpool FC. Know that he enriched discussions and engaged with people well beyond those he knew personally. Your father, and you all will be in my thoughts and prayers.
    --Erik

Cockspur repped this.
  5. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My sincere condolences. Like many, I've been interacting online with Bob for over 15 years in our online community. His wit and love for footy will be missed. Grace and peace be with you at this time of loss.

Cockspur repped this.
  6. My condolances to the family. May you all find the strength to cope with your loss.
    I've enjoyed his (always positive) reactions to my posts about one of his favourite players, good old Dirk.
    RIP Liverbird.

Cockspur repped this.
  7. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    very sorry to hear that.....
    RIP...

Cockspur repped this.
  8. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I continue to be depressed by this thread.

So damn annoying - I looked at Bob's post's - he started chemo in early June and got through it very well.

He was given an all clear and was waiting for a bone marrow transplant. It sounded really positive.

Next thing we are reading on July 10th - he's departed.

Man - my dad's was terrible because he had all the bad genetic markers so we knew it was bad news from the get go - but to see how fast this happened - just 1 month - really really saddens me for Bob and family.

russ, Cockspur and bayred repped this.
  9. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    Lost a close buddy to this disease. A bright light snuffed out way too soon.

Cockspur repped this.
  10. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    From some of Andrew's other posts in a different section of BS:

Cockspur and newterp repped this.
  11. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ugh...I've been almost exactly there. we got a second round of chemo in - but it was a bit late.

there are things in 20/20 I want to fight - but there is no point.

Bob - we will miss you more than you know.........

Cockspur, bayred and el-capitano repped this.
  12. Menace2Sobriety

Menace2Sobriety Member+

Aug 12, 2004
    Washington DC
    Andrew, please accept my condolences. I met your dad just once at a LFCDC event hosted by QueenVic. We had a very pleasant conversation including about the folks on this forum and the wonderful banter we share. This was posted by LFCDC today:

You'll Never Walk Alone, Bob

On Monday, our friend and fellow Liverpool F.C. supporter, Bob Brown, passed away. Bob was a founding member of LFCDC, and our supporters club does not exist without him and his contributions over the years. In those early days at Ri Ra Irish Pub in Arlington, Bob's guidance and wisdom helped form LFCDC into the great supporters club that it is today.

We will miss Bob's high fives after Liverpool goals, his hugs after Liverpool victories, and his famous post-match reports.

In lieu of flowers, Bob's family has asked folks to consider making a donation to the Mr. Holland’s Opus Foundation (more information at https://www.mhopus.org/donate/). This group changes the lives of children by providing them with instruments that they could not otherwise afford. As a lover of music, Bob believed that music makes children smarter, happier, and brings light to the world.

To support this effort, on Friday, July 13 (tomorrow), our friends at the Anfield Shop will be donating all one-day profits to Mr. Holland's Opus Foundation in honor of Bob. This is a tremendous and generous gesture from the Anfield Shop, and we thank them for their amazing support.
    Please visit www.anfieldshop.com tomorrow to support a great cause in honor of a great man and get your LFC gear in preparation for the upcoming U.S. preseason tour and Premier League season.

All the best to your family. Bob will be remembered fondly .

YNWA

Wingtips1, russ, Cockspur and 3 others repped this.
  13. ScholesyLFC

ScholesyLFC Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Holladay, Utah
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I am so heartbroken. I was honoured to go to Anfield with
    Bob. What a day that was. What a weekend. God bless him and his family.

Wingtips1, B.A., Cockspur and 3 others repped this.
  14. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes sir.

Given this - don’t be a stranger.

15. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sorry for your loss, Andrew. Liverbird was a ray of bright light on this board for many years. Loved his poetry that he would infrequently post. He will be missed.

16. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ynwa

Cockspur repped this.
  17. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Andrew - if you are in the area and have time for a beer let me know.

Cockspur repped this.
  18. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May God bless you and your family and help you through these tough times. RIP Liverbird, you will be missed.

el-capitano repped this.
  19. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    i'm heartbroken.... I put a note a few weeks ago about my struggle with depression on my facebook and Bob, even though we met only a few times and really just knew each other through here, put a fantastic message of support and optimism for my struggles and also his. that was the type of human being he was. one of the best ones. we are running out of those. rest in peace, Bob.

20. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wtf? talk to us about Liverpool.

Stop that nonsense now!

21. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/falls-church-va/robert-brown-7924055

Robert E. Brown
    DECEMBER 16, 1950 – JULY 9, 2018
    [​IMG]
    Brown, Robert E., age 67, of Arlington, Virginia, passed away on July 9, 2018. He was born and grew up in Plainfield, New Jersey. Bob was a graduate of Seton Hall University and met his wife Harriet while doing postgraduate work at Georgetown University. He and his family lived in Arlington, Virginia.

Bob proudly served for over 36 years as a Federal Civil Servant including as an executive as the Associate Director for Administration and Budget at the U.S. Department of Interior, Bureau of Ocean Energy Management Regulation and Enforcement and at the U.S. Minerals Management Service. He also had a distinguished career with the U.S. Department of the Navy in Washington, D.C. and Norfolk, Virginia as well as serving with the Small Business Administration. For his exemplary leadership, Bob was awarded the Meritorious Executive Presidential Rank Award in both 1998 and 2005. He also received numerous other distinguished service awards for his Federal service over the years.

As an avid sports fan, Bob was a particularly passionate true fan of football (soccer). He was closely involved with the Official Liverpool F.C. Supporters Club of Washington, D.C., as well as the Screaming Eagles and La Barra Brava supporter groups of D.C. United. Bob also participated in supporting the artistic efforts of his children through the St. Mark’s Players at St. Mark’s Episcopal Church in Washington, D.C. and the World Children’s Choir in Virginia.

Bob is survived by his family: beloved husband of Harriet; loving father of Sarah Dayton (Charles), Abigail, and Andrew (Jessica); cherished grandfather of Jonathan and Mary Dayton; dear brother of Catherine Lucyk (James); uncle of Katelynn and Ashley Lucyk.

A memorial gathering will be held Saturday, July 14, 2018 from 3-5 PM at Murphy Funeral Home, 1102 W. Broad Street, Falls Church, Virginia. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Mr. Holland’s Opus Foundation which changes the lives of children by providing musical instruments they could not otherwise afford at https://www.mhopus.org/donate/.

22. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    also, there's a final glass for him tonight, 6-8pm at OSullivan's in Arlington, for any of you DC area folks...

23. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So sad.

24. jeffcoop

jeffcoop BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m late to this thread this week and therefore late to the heartbreaking news. I never met Bob but treasured his contributions here. I wish I’d had a chance to meet him. Andrew, my deepest sympathies to you and your family.

Cockspur repped this.
  25. jeffcoop

jeffcoop BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today's Anfield Wrap podcast started off with a brief tribute to Bob. Thanks, Scholesy.

Wingtips1, usscouse, Cockspur and 2 others repped this.