Our Choice, MLS Ref of the Year

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by akindc, Nov 2, 2016.

?

Who are the best MLS refs of the Year?

1. Bazakos

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Chapman

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Elfath

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  4. Fischer

9 vote(s)
    30.0%
  5. Gantar

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  6. Toledo

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  7. Geiger

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  8. Villareal

11 vote(s)
    36.7%
  9. Grajeda

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Guzman

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  11. Unkel

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  12. Kelly

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  13. Maruffo

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  14. Penso

13 vote(s)
    43.3%
  15. Petrescu

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  16. Rivero

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Salazar

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  18. Sibiga

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  19. Stoica

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. Stott

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Not at all.
    We know how to have a decent discussion and disagreement without resorting to these kinds
    of insults.
    I actually think that most of us were saying essentially the same things just in different ways.
    Bottom line is that the award is very spurious, with a flawed method of selection and various others
    could make equivalent or even better informed choices. Just choose your favorite selectors.

At the risk of repetition and ridicule, I simply point to the totally absurd selection of Tamberino,
    undoubtedly one of the poorest referees in MLS, not once, which would be bad enough,
    but for four consecutive years! (Just to make MassRef's prediction come true!):laugh::laugh:

BTW, do any other countries have such an award? And if so how are the winners selected?
    Do NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA have one?

PH

akindc repped this.
  2. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I know Italy has a version of the award and he is presented with the award at the end of the season along with best player, coach, etc. Italy has an award ceremony they have a Referee of the Year award.

Theirs seems legitimate as Collina won it like 5 years in a row, Rosetti won it several years in a row and Rizzoli has now won it for the past couple of years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serie_A_Referee_of_the_Year

3. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    <--- That's him

4. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is me to a T! Way too busy doing games or playing. What free time I do have for TV I'm not going to waste on MLS. On top of the leagues you mentioned that I DVR, Netflix is better than MLS on TV.

5. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen literally thousands of MLS games, and even I've been limited in more recent years between work and the sheer volume of games.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

6. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Actually a better vote here might be for who are the worst!:D

PH

7. mrref

mrref New Member

May 16, 2016
    Why?
    Given the fact that many here don't watch MLS how would that be better vote?

8. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    First of all it was meant as irony!
    But I also thought it might be interesting to see if people were more inclined to vote
    in such a contest than in the one asking for the best.
    IIRC, something similar happened in a poll in a different country were the same referee
    was voted as both the best and as the worst. :D

PH

9. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Anyway, the ballot isn't even complete. It doesn't include Borg.

akindc repped this.
  10. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    I'm pretty sure that happened in an anonymous poll of players that Grant Wahl did a few years ago as well. Think it might have been Geiger.
    Can't find that one online, but I did find this amusing quote from his 2013 poll, when the players picked Kennedy as the best and Toledo as the worst,
    "Best and worst referee turned out to be a tough question to get specific answers on, not least because the most common responses from players were "pass," "none of 'em" and "all of 'em." One player said: "I honestly don't know their real names. You should have set up a police lineup with their faces or something."