Our Boy, Antoy: Adu and Aris in the Greek playoffs

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Pass-n-Go, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia

I can't see a coach making a comment like this. What incentive does Adu have to practice hard now? He works his ass off and rides the bench, he slacks and rides the bench...which one do you think he chooses.

2. soonertony

soonertony Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again. Freddy Adu tweeted this BEFORE the Ghana/Germany game. He was talking about Ghana versus Germany. Not the United States versus Ghana. I think his future US teammates would not care in the least.

3. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I mentioned before that that site is not very good and it's nothing to take very seriously.

4. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess you didn't read all the way through. It was a long post, so understandable.

No, of course I don't think Benfica wants to pick up more pay. In fact, I think they want to pick up less of the tab than they are now paying for Adu. But, everyone has to use the leverage that they have and their threat is to drag their feet for finding a team for Adu unless he also cooperates with their interests (less out of pocket money for them). As I said it would probably proceed to the next scenario and then from there. Look at last summer - it was dragged out to the bitter end and yes, Adu got all of his money but I believe he also recognizes that he took a hit by not being able to participate in pre-season training. He has to work with Benfica if he wants to get into training camp as early as possible.

5. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^this^

Lets hope this time makes the right decision based on playing and not money.

6. Kyonn

Kyonn New Member

Dec 24, 2004
    This has nothing to do with being American and everything to do with the fact that he makes way to much for his current level of performance.

A couple years back there was a Chelsea player who rode the bench for like 2 straight years but refused to transfer. He was told directly by the team that he wasn't wanted but he refused a transfer because no team would match his Chelsea wages. The guy was Dutch I believe.

This has nothing to do with being American and everything to do with the fact that Adu makes way to much for a rotation player in the Greek league. Especially one that doesn't have an Eu passport If we were willing to take a pay cut he probably could get a full transfer if he wanted since it obvious that Befinca don't want him. He's just not willing to give up the big bucks and I don't blame him.

This American bias crap really need to stop.

7. Drippingmilk

Drippingmilk Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Much of the team is being asked to dramatically reduce their wages.

They also have him in a situation that is advantageous to them, knowing that he needs this to be a successful loan.

8. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    You make a good argument --

And then you ruin it by adding this....
    Maybe you should stick to the former part of the argument.

Anyway, to add to your thought, someone pointed out that there were dozens of misfit players stuck in the wilderness at Benfica -- because Benfica buys far more players than they can use. They didn't all come from the US obviously.

9. Kyonn

Kyonn New Member

Dec 24, 2004
    What are you talking about they are the same argument. I'm saying the anti american bias arguments from poster on this board needs to stop. If that wasn't clear I'm sorry. Hell you just disproved it again by pointing that other players at Benfica are in the same situation and none of them are American. This has nothing to do with being American and everything to do with the fact that the guy is really over paid.

This type of thing happens all the time in football. Benfica isn't the only team that does crap like this. Real at times have had world class players buried so deep in their system that it was just sad.

10. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    What I said was that you made a good argument and were probably correct. The comment about Benfica stockpiling players was another example to bolster your argument.

11. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When does Aris come back from Austria? Since Fred is obviously not going there.

12. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Is that true? I had missed this piece of info.

13. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    we indeed may be all hyped up over nothing.

*there's a financial crunch in greece

*cuper has asked several players to take a pay cut

*adu's contract can't be renegotiated easily, because benfica is involved.

it's just taking some time. that's all.

14. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The last couple of days reports about Adu says that it's not very likely that he will stay cause Cuper wants someone else on that spot. It does not look very possible that he will stay according to the press. But as we seen tha last week they change their articles almost everyday so let's just wait and see.

15. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could have used Freddy today v. Ghana. No one could create anything today.

16. sawillis

sawillis Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Smyrna, TN
    Adu needs to come back to MLS and rebuild and prepare for 2014

17. Wild_Stryker

Wild_Stryker New Member

May 29, 2010
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have a point there for sure!

18. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Freddy needs to stay where he is and prepare for 2010/2011.

19. Kyonn

Kyonn New Member

Dec 24, 2004
    Yes exactly what we needed against a big fast physical team was a small, slow un-athletic player.

20. ElRoss425

ElRoss425 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of our fast, athletic players were great yesterday.

21. nostalgos

nostalgos New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    I did not see anything wrong with the US team performance yesterday. You played against another good team and the result could have gone either way. We, football-fans tend to undervalue the effect of randomness in the game. Ghana made it becuase they were luckier...2 equally good temas played and someone had to qualify. It looked like if these teams played 100 games, the frequency of each qualifying would not be far from 50...

After all, making it to the 16 best teams in the world and showing a consistent and solid performance is no failure at all.

22. ElRoss425

ElRoss425 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All that from this?

23. nostalgos

nostalgos New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    I thought that the post was ironic towards the players that tried hard and played decently. If not, sorry for getting it wrong.

24. vmax71

vmax71 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 11, 2002
    high desert
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    freddy has put out about 6 useless tweets in the last couple of hours. at least we know he is back to normal.

good job freddy. you never fail to entertain.

25. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    I'm sure he'd prefer to be preparing for the new season, but no dice there.