Other Teams Thread 2018 WC

Discussion in 'England' started by The Potter, Oct 13, 2017.

1. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What do Tom Hanks in The Terminal and the 2018 WC have in common?
    Stateless

2. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  3. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I really hope Sweden make it, mainly because I live there and I have Swedish family, so to make them and my friends happy plus when it's a World Cup year it's always more fun if the Country you live in, is also in the tournament as it ramps up the interest and atmosphere when out and about.

4. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Northern Ireland vs Switzerland
    Good draw for Northern Ireland against Switzerland. It'll be tough, but they're certaintly not overwhelming.

Croatia vs Greece
    Probably the most lopsided draw possible. Croatia should have no problem handling the Greeks.

Ireland vs Denmark
    Not a good draw for the Irish. Denmark has just enough quality to control a match and Christian Eriksen is in form with other good players around him.

Italy vs Sweden
    Tough draw for the Swedes. They do have enough attacking quality to trouble Italy, but they're the best in the world when it comes to soaking up pressure.

5. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Euro WC play-offs coming up.

Croatia v Greece
    Northern Ireland v Switzerland
    Sweden v Italy
    Denmark v Republic of Ireland

Feels like four very tight games. I can't really pick a winner in any of them. Croatia are the biggest favourite but Greece are the perfect type of team to cause an upset.

6. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Croatia beat Greece 4-1 don't know much about either team but when ever I've seen either team over the years Croatia have been fun and techical (not sure what it means but I know it when I see it) and Modric is my fave player, so I guess I'm happy but I probably care more about Prince Harry's misses than I do about this, though I do wonder what his dad thinks about her and I guess Prince Charles too.

Northern Ireland lost 0-1 in Belfast to Switzerland, my family is from Ulster so I'm not so happy about this, though Shaq is Stoke's most talented ever player ( plenty of Stoke fans will argue Ricardo Fuller was ten times better though, that argument is the sole reason I moved away). Switzerland were monsters in their group and pushed the champions of Europe all the way so I guess they must be a mint team, they have far more accomplished players, though the Guardian suggests the penalty was dodgy.

Anybody seen either game?

7. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Completely forgot about these matches as I've been pretty busy lately...

Wish I recorded the Croatia game and I too love watching them play. They deserve to go to Russia based on their quality of players.

Tough loss for Northern Ireland, but I have a feeling they'll make it very difficult for Switzerland.

8. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sweden and Italy have a knack of meeting up lately. This will be the rematch of their Euro 2016 match and Sweden has gotten better since then, at least they have a decent eye for goal.

9. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Would love it if Sweden beats the Italians. Mainly because I live there but I'm not a massive fan of the Italian posters in this Bigsoccer forum, absolute bunch of loons barring a few decent ones.

10. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Going to be tough for last nights leads to be turned around. Of course Northern Iron can get a 1-0 type result themselves.

Sweden's attack is Marcus Berg & John Guidetti with a bit Ola Toivonen. Shocking. Of course Forsberg is their key attacker/creator now. Always thought their strength is defence.

Italians not so settled in selection but Immobile & Belotti up front should be enough with their general solidity.

11. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well done Sweden. Italy just seemed like they wanted to defend way too much and didn't expect the Swedes to be so aggressive.

12. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah Sweden beat Italy 1-0 at home, I just cant see Italy not making it, they are just so canny. Denmark-Ireland 0-0 just such a boring game Denmark do have more class I can see them knicking a goal away, Ireland I really are missing any quality hopefully Ireland can get a set piece .

13. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Even though you can say Ireland played a canny game and they didn't lose which I guess is the main thing but last night reminded me of the Jack Charlton days but worse. So many aimless balls to no mans land, how they miss a Tony Cascarino if they play that style.

14. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I'm not so sure, Sweden will now make it as difficult as possible for the Italians and probably try and steal an away goal which will mean Italy will have to score three. However Italy have the fire power to see this game through but how an earth Insigne isn't starting baffles me, quality player like him should be starting imo.

15. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In fairness to Martin O'Neil they have no good players really, compared to Wales who have Bale, Ramsey and Allen. And in the McCarthy days when they had the Keanes, Dunne, Duff and Given, I hope they make it but they are so reliant on MON.

16. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think it's a system reason as to why he doesn't start. Same kinda thing with Conte.

17. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sweden probably won't have as much energy in Milan as they did at home with all that early pressing.

18. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    The Swedes really know how to over blow things, TV coverage started at 16:00 over here on Channel 5 which the equivalent of ITV and the game doesn't start until 20:45!! Unbelievable stuff! Lol

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  19. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Amazed that a penalty wasn't given to Sweden then, looked a clear handball to me.

20. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Can't believe that Italy really may not make it to Russia with 10 minutes to go.

21. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Wow!! The Swedes have done it!! Love it!!

22. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    In before Zlatan returns and then vanishes in all the big games..

23. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Ventura is the Italian Woy...

24. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Hodgson qualified. Ventura is the Italian Taylor, if anything.

25. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Why play Darmian in that role when you need to win? Why play him there at all? Feels like another case of a coach picking a system and then trying to force players into it.