Other Teams' Results [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by KMJvet, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    We're worse than FC Cincinnati :(:cry:

Quakes05 and don gagliardi repped this.
  2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Two beautiful goals by Cincy who are winning 3-0! They will clobber the Quakes!

Quakes05 and leocal11 repped this.
  3. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Not only did FC Beerlogo win but the filth did too. :(

falvo repped this.
  4. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far, I’ve only watched the first 20 minutes of the FCC home opener, but I think they are going to run us over. They have a lot of speed and height in the midfield and up top. They have at least 2 guys, Adi and Kendall Waston, to head balls in on set pieces. They have a lot of seasoned MLS players on their roster. I can see why Fatai is not starting on that team yet. There is a lot of competition on FCC, while all we can do is argue over Tommy’s playing time.

In other words, people should not discount FCC as a former USL team. They look like they put together a pretty aggressive roster.

Beerking and don gagliardi repped this.
  5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

DotMPP and bsman repped this.
  6. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    New poster child for today's "pay to play" mentality in youth soccer. This should not surprise anybody who's been involved in youth soccer over the past 30 years, like we have. I witnessed the evolution from clubs mainly consisting of and being coached by well-meaning parents to being run as strictly money-making propositions.

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What amazes me is how some people are so naive in believing that there is no corruption in college sports or academia.

My uncles told me how after WW2 , many former professionals enrolled in many universities with full rides , played soccer and got free education. Some were even getting paid and no one said a word. He also said everyone knew they were pros but it couldn’t ever be proven as there were no records of them playing professionally.

Then there were others who had their dads , uncles and cousins play for the colleges and coaches would sign them to keep the family legacy going. That’s been going on forever.

8. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    still attends UCLA...I bet her campus life just got a whole lot more embarrassing.

9. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Jorge Salcedo should be banned from coaching soccer in my opinion. If he is going to take a bribe then his career in soccer should be over.

mjlee22 and don gagliardi repped this.
  10. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    During law school in the late 1980s, I was a teaching assistant in a large spring semester undergraduate class on civil rights and civil liberties. There were several Stanford football players in the class, including a few who later played in the pros (during a time when Stanford was not the college football powerhouse it is today). They rarely attended class, or the affiliated seminars I conducted, yet they were given passing grades by the professor. It appeared corrupt to me.

On the flip side, Garin Veris, who was already a pro player with the New England Patriots (also then not the powerhouse it is today), had come back to class during the offseason to get his degree, and was an enthusiastic participant in the seminars. I developed admiration for him, even though I'm not a Pats fan.

11. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think this is an example of the problems with pay-to-play youth soccer, since the issue here is that she didn't play youth club soccer at all. Her parents falsified records to purport that she played for a club that didn't even have competitive girls' teams in the relevant time frame.

And hey! The coaching director of the club she didn't play for is Zak Ibsen!

12. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I saw that on the news yesterday - hadn't heard that name in a couple of decades!

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #7016 falvo, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    College athletes more often than not, get a pass. It’s a form of cheating and it’s always been known about but never really been frowned upon. I mean every university does it so it’s almost accepted as the norm. Reggie Bush got caught but so many others never do.

I’ve posted before how our own Paul Holocher a Santa Clara grad , cheated on a term paper for Ari Lassiter and they both got kicked out of Cal Poly. Kevin Grimes at Cal held back Steve Birnbaum in 2012 after he played and started in three games. He then redshirted the rest of the season because Grimes knew they would most likely tank the season. He played a 5th season , Cal was ranked #1 for most of the year in 2013 and he was then drafted high, with the second overall draft pick. He is now a member of the national team I believe as well as DCU. It happens at every school. I think though what these actors did is a little worse but not by too much. Actress Julia Louis-Dreyfus‘ son plays basketball for Northwestern and is a five year player who has one point to his name. How does that happen in BBall?

14. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm less critical of players who don't attend class or cheat than I am of the system that exploits labor to massive profits. College athletes do themselves a disservice by not making the most of their educational opportunities, but the demands of playing college sports is roughly equivalent to working as a pro athlete, so the time required to be an athlete eats into time that could be spent attending class and studying.

So yes, it is corrupt, but the players are not the problem in the scenario, they are largely victims of a kind.

mjlee22 and don gagliardi repped this.
  15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #7018 falvo, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    For any sport , college athletes do themselves a disservice by not attending class and getting a degree. The chances of making it in the pros are slim to none and only less than 1% make it to the big time.

For soccer players , it’s ludicrous in my opinion to bypass a free ride for a second division or even an MLS team. They may become more experienced players but at 26 years of age, what do they do then?

Salcedo at UCLA I believe will be fired as he should be.

16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  17. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once you have a felony, you probably can’t pass the background check. Assuming that your youth organization requires it for all coaches.

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    SoccerIsOurLife and Boysinblue repped this.
  19. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    FC Beerlogo won again beating the woeful Revs, we really are worse than them. :(

20. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we're worse than the Revs, then we probably have wooden spoon the sequel locked up.
    If we're worse than FCC, that leaves a lot of room for failure, because I think FCC is pretty high up the ladder now.

21. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m watching the NEvCIN game, and FCC has an American-born Israeli who looks and plays a lot like Mo Salah. Played 5 years in Belgium. Greg Garza also looks pretty amazing.

It sure seems like the quakes scouting Dept must be one of the worst in mls. We can’t even compete with expansion teams.

Beerking repped this.
  22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Scouting costs money.

Beerking and Quakes05 repped this.