Other Teams' Results [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by KMJvet, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quakes05 repped this.
  2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    For all the talk about MLS academies, it makes me wonder if Pulisic's local U.S. Soccer Development Academy club PA Classics gets a percentage of his transfer fee? They probably won't but they should.

3. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    They won’t. I think that’s one of the knocks some of the local clubs (DeAnza Force, Santa Clara Sporting) have against USSF - I believe they have received zippo for players they developed (e.g. Lletget) who were purchased by Euro sides. USSF is very much a top-down organization - this I know from personal experience.

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah I believe even a US district judge ruled on this very subject a year ago or so. This is a huge problem though as once again, our academies are developing our own domestic players for someone else to utilize and have nothing to show for it. Meanwhile, Borussia Dortmund gets $73 million for a plyer who played 2 full seasons and parts of 2 others....

5. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    This was the best explanation of the current state of things I could find:

https://socceresq.com/2018/07/07/wh...fifa-solidarity-training-compensation-system/

Basically the MLS players' union hates it. Everyone else is okay with it. the MLSPU has threatened to sue any club that tries to collect, and it isn't clear under US law why a club would expect to win.

I am not sure how I feel about it. I have seen thew inside of the coaching world in other sports, with no money on the line other than what comes from a coach's reputation amongst parents who pay for lessons, and it is ugly. If the kids actually have $ amounts on their head that could be millions, I think it would be even worse.

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #6781 falvo, Jan 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    As a fan of the game in North America since the days of Ricky Davis and Steve Moyers, I think its great that Pulisic went to Chelsea. I know Maurizio Sarri very well and he knows how to get the best from players like Christian.

On the other hand, as a fan of American soccer, it makes me wonder how our local academies developed such a great American player and have absolutely nothing to show for it. MLS clubs didn't even develop him but his old academies, the Michigan Rush and PA Classics did and they don't even get to reap the rewards for his development.

I recall Milan paying $8 million for Kaka back in 2003 I believe it was and $22 million for Pato. I also remember Juventus having to pay Palermo additional fees for Paolo Dybala on top of the 32 million euro after he was already transferred as they owed them for his performance related perks. Clubs all over the world profit from developing players and selling them off. When I see all these fees that clubs get and look at our one great American abroad, it saddens me that none of our clubs can even profit or get a percentage from this $73 million transfer..

7. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since you know him very well, could you contact him and see if there are some unused or rarely used players he could loan us?

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #6783 falvo, Jan 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    Fisher can't afford Chelsea's youth team bench warmers....not even on loan.

From SA....

[​IMG]

9. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to everything I’ve read, Pulisic was mainly developed by his dad, and a lot of Christian’s soccer brain seems to be innate or something that he developed by himself at a very early age, like 8-9. E.g., his dad had him play with adults at an early age. And in club, he played up about 3 years.

So if there is any Solidarity payment, it should go to his dad. Period. :D

don gagliardi repped this.
  10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #6785 falvo, Jan 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    Yeah his dad played indoor soccer for quite a long time. Still , every other club around the world gets transfer fees when they sell players so it would be nice if ours did too. If the Santa Cruz Breakers got a percentage for selling Lynden Gooch for example, the club will have made a killing and even funded itself for years to come.

bsman repped this.
  11. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6786 Earthshaker, Jan 3, 2019

I am sure Chelsea would rather see players playing somewhere than being on the bench. For someone who knows the Chelsea manager so very well I can't believe you don't take advantage of that connection.

12. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    The thing is, pretty much all youth teams ALREADY get paid by the parents of the players. Dortmund paid a hefty salary to Pulisic to play for them. They INVESTED in Pulisic where his youth teams PROFITED by having Pulisic play for them (and make no mistake, they are certainly marketing his success to attract other parents to pay them for the privilege of playing there).

It’s like going to a karate school for lessons. You pay to learn how to fight, but they don’t get any money if you become an MMA champ.

SeaJayBee repped this.
  13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #6788 falvo, Jan 3, 2019
    First of all, when I said I know Sarri very well, I meant I know his style of play, how he utilizes young talent and how he gets the most out of players tactics. I knew of him and do remember him when I lived in Tuscany and he was coaching Sangiovannese in San Giovanni Valdarno, in the lower level league while he worked in a bank full time. I do not however, know him personally.

As far as Chelsea seeing players playing somewhere rather than being on the bench, they may very well want to see their players playing somewhere else but not in MLS. Most Europeans as well as English from what I know do not regard our league and they think its inferior. They would rather loan players across their own leagues or to the championship or league one so they can keep an eye on them. Most of them can care less about MLS. I don't believe MLS wants that either. Simon Dawkins notwithstanding, I don't know of many other English players who were ever loaned out to our league.

mjlee22 repped this.
  14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #6789 falvo, Jan 3, 2019
    Ok but their youth clubs do in fact reap the rewards and/or profits from selling their own youth players to other clubs but ours don't.

Recognition and exposure is nice and all and I'm sure the money they get from parents is also pretty good. It won’t ever amount to a fraction or a percentage of $73 million like many other clubs get. Just imagine if Santa Cruz got 1 or even 1/2% of that transfer fee, how much money that would be. They would be funding their academy and team for years to come. Again , Juventus paid Palermo additional fees for Dybala after he scored a bunch of goals at Juve. Milan paid $8 million to São Paulo and $22 million for Internacional and that money in turn was utilized by those clubs and kept them running for many more years.

The De Anza Force have their players ending up at top clubs but other than posting their names and clubs of players on their website , they never got any money from those clubs. I’m sure our academies would welcome transfer fees as European clubs and academies do.

15. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone understand why the MLS players union opposes Solidarity payments?

16. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got it. You know him very well kind of like I know lots of famous actors and authors very well because I have seen their movies or read their books.

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  18. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m surprised that GM Tim B is going to the Crew while Ali Curtis is taking over TFC. I suspect TFC could go into a major decline

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He may last longer at TFC than he did with the Red Bulls.

20. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    Or they would just pocket the money? Unless the teams have rules that prevent the people on top from pocketing it, which they probably wouldn't since the system isn't in place, I think as lot of the money just becomes windfall for a coach/owner who may or may not have actually contributed, or may just have been the one to find the lucky penny.

SeaJayBee repped this.
  21. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This is the most likely outcome. Why would a youth program invest a huge payout when they don't have to? They can just pocket the cash, advertise that they offer a good chance of playing professionally, and rake in the operating dollars from families that can afford it.

The pay for play model so popular in US sports is a grift, by and large. Giving those operations a bunch of money probably won't make soccer in the US better unless it was used pretty exclusively to subsidize players and families who can't afford those programs in the first place.

22. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    It’s a business just like training gymnasts or figure skaters. You pay to be trained and if you are REALLY good you will become a professional and get paid the big bucks. Why should the schools that were paid to train you receive extra compensation because you special?

Now in places in Europe that might scour places in Africa or elsewhere for poor children that could have exceptional talent it’s a different story. The club would not only offer FREE training to players, but they will likely do free travel expenses, lodging, food and clothing and equipment. That’s called an “investment” and lots of players invested in will not pan out. The few that do will help the club see a return on their investment. That is a different business model and I think it’s a fair one.

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Why wouldn’t the powers that be that head youth programs not want to pocket the money? Who or why wouldn’t they not want that transfer money?

For that matter , who says the existing youth academies don’t already make a killing from parents paying extravagant fees wanting their kids in top programs? It seems to me that has been going on for decades.

24. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Right, which is why I'm not arguing that they should get compensation payments. They are already compensated as they are a business. I just dislike the setup because it means it's only accessible to families that can afford it. There are very few opportunities for those who can't, which has all kinds of consequences in available talent and representation, etc.

Frankly, I don't think there's really any way for young people to be trained in sports that isn't exploitative. Either your pay a lot of money for training which very likely doesn't lead to anything more than playing in college or so, or you are paid for and indebted to an organization that takes you in because you can't pay the fees, and they reap the rewards by basically selling you off.

In a more ideal world, there would be enough fans of the sport that youth levels could run on spectators going to see them, and that way the training programs could operate and give compensation to those players as well. That isn't the reality, of course, and the result is that the owners of these programs make money on the hopes of kids who have almost no real chance of becoming a pro and making significant money, especially for soccer, where the ceiling is pretty low compared to other sports.

I guess in an even more ideal world, youth sports would exclusively be the realm of club teams that play for the fun of it with no profit motive. Then, when people become adults, they could go into some minor league system where they could get paid something with the hopes that they are good enough to make pro leagues.

25. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    In an ideal world, kids go out and play with their friends and come back in when it gets dark. Every game is decided at dusk, regardless of the score, by next goal wins.

DotMPP and SeaJayBee repped this.