Other Teams' Results [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by KMJvet, Mar 8, 2014.

1. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder what Philip Lahm has to say about Jogi Low now...

2. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's high tech with lots of machine learning pushing AI. Soon that heart will be our #10 and then everyone will know we have heart.

3. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'd take their last four years over the Quakes' last four years every day of the week.

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I wouldn't take their stadium over Avaya though. Yankee Stadium is not meant for soccer...

don gagliardi repped this.
  5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Thank you.

There is so much not to like about the whole experience of being a NYCFC fan that I would certainly never trade the past four years of my Quakes fandom for theirs.

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'd take Buck Shaw or Spartan over the pit in the Bronx!

Beerking and don gagliardi repped this.
  7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Absolutely.

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They can have Lampard, Vieira, (an MLS) Pirlo and David Villa because I have my doubts they will win this year either All they are is a glorified wannabe super club that aside from the Gals, never works in this league.

I hope they get beat badly!

9. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really wonder how many people are going to show up at DC United’s new stadium just to watch Rooney. I can’t even picture Rooney listening to anything Ben Olsen says.

Beerking repped this.
  10. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not? Does he have a reputation of not listening to his coaches?

11. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t know Rooney’s reputation with his coaches,

But in Feb-2018, Rooney said he wanted to be an Everton youth manager
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5373463/Wayne-Rooney-love-Everton-manager.html

This other article in feb-2018, he explains how Alex Ferguson’s man management was so great
    https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...Wayne-Rooney-Sir-Alex-Ferguson-Sky-Sports-MNF

With Ben Olsen’s record as DCU coach, I assume he is about as good with players as Mika Stahre.

Rooney has had the best manager in the world. Rooney has a much bigger playing career than Olsen, Rooney is uneducated and of working class background. Clearly he hasn’t had the best judgment off or on the field. And if Rooney ends up thinking he has better coaching chops than Olsen, well, i just don’t see the 2 guys as besties.

DotMPP repped this.
  12. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You mean when Olsen says, "hey, Wayne, your job in this game is to play up top and when the ball comes to you, try to put it in the net," Rooney replies, "up yours, Ben, I'm planning on tracking back and providing bite in the defensive midfield"? Yeah, that's going to cause some consternation. :)

mjlee22 and Earthshaker repped this.
  13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The best coaches were always mediocre or even less than average players. Not sure what Rooney will do but with the opening of the new stadium and his arrival, DCU could things around....

Goodsport repped this.
  14. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    What does this have to do with being able to be coachable, or ability to listen to coaches?

don gagliardi repped this.
  15. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    During my work career, guys without degrees would get defensive with college grad bosses. I think it’s still true today, but maybe I’m wrong...

DotMPP repped this.
  16. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am sure he has lahmbasted him!

mjlee22 and JazzyJ repped this.
  17. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Not always. Johan Cruyff was probably the best player of his generation, if not all time, and also had a heck of a managerial career, helping to develop some of the best players of that generation.

However, yes, this is often true. The argument goes that elite players are good in ways that allow them to not think especially critically about how it all happens, and thus, can't pass on their knowledge to other players as they essentially have none. Players who weren't all that good had to "work harder", or more accurately, evaluate their performances more closely to figure out how to improve.

In the age of analytics driven sports, I do wonder if even the best players aren't drastically more aware of the mechanics of playing, and thus couldn't become more effective coaches. Then again, soccer is one of those games where being able to understand what's happening in every position in any given moment seems extremely difficult.

I am of the opinion that there are probably only a handful of elite coaches in the world, and probably just as few really good coaches. Everyone else is just a good personality manager, at best.

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #6119 falvo, Jul 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    There are some exceptions. Cruyff, Beckenbauer and Dalglish. That was a long time ago though and they were all initially given the top clubs or national team they played with. Cruyff managed Ajax and Barcelona from 1985-1996 and they were always a top club but he never coached again after Barca fired him in 1996 and he was only 48 at the time. Hristo Stoichkov once said even though he had problems with him as a player, he was the ultimate manager as he had a lot of analytical knowledge of the game and could have done a lot more. Too bad he never really coached again. Franz won with West Germany but he was also given a top team that was in the middle of making three straight WC finals.

You also had Fabio Capello who was a good player but was given a top team initially with AC Milan. It also took him 11 years after he stopped playing to land that job. Then went he went onto Real back to Milan , Roma , Juve, Real , England and Russia. He didn't do anything with the national teams but he did have club success. Same with Carlo Ancellotti and Roberto Mancini who had success with Lazio, Inter and Man City but it remains to be see what he will do with Italy. Maradona was a nightmare with Argentina and neither Pele or Baggio could ever coach. Roby Baggio even wrote a report on how coaches should approach the game for the Italian Federation (FIGC) who had him write it and they ignored his findings.

Again, there are exceptions but as rule, I think the most difficult thing for a top superstar player to do is coach. I just think its almost impossible for a top player to tell a player how to do things the way he did when most players aren't capable to execute or play that way.

19. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Zinedine Zindane disagrees with you. So does Sir Alex Ferguson and Gareth Southgate

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #6121 falvo, Jul 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    Southgate was never a superstar player and all he won was a few league cups. Sir Alex was not even a national team player I don't believe and also never won much as a player.

Zidane was given a great team and quit after just two seasons citing the club's "need for change".

21. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Sir Alex had 7 caps for Scotland when they weren’t playing many national team games. He scored something like 46 goals for Rangers. He was a pretty good player. Southgate had 57 caps for England.

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #6123 falvo, Jul 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    I'll concede the notion and give them both the benefit of the doubt or the exception to rule but that wasn't what I meant.

The initial premise though was "Rooney has had the best manager in the world (in Sir Alex) and had a much bigger playing career than Olsen" and that "the 2 guys won't be besties".

My point is, I just don't see a correlation to success or failure to having a great player being coached or managed by someone who was just an average player or a former superstar. In MLS, I don't see it at all.

23. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are probably good examples on both sides in MLS

Coaches who struggle with big names
    • Frank Yallop & David Beckham
    • Sigi Schmid & Zlatan