News: Other Team's News III [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Jul 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'm guessing Beckham gets a lot of crap from opposing teams, who could resist talking smack to Becks? And I'm sure the fact that he's played for Real Madrid when the people talking smack play for Real Salt Lake only pisses him off even more.

2. jwoo

jwoo Member

Jul 30, 2008
    West Newton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rimando comes up with 3 saves in 2 rounds of pk's to bail out Espindola and Morales after their misses. Chicago can #$)% off into the offseason.

3. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Beckerman interviewed after the win (paraphrased):

"Yay, we won, etc., blah blah, it's really great to have an owner who cares, he shows up at all the games, he's committed, we know it's not like that at all the teams in the league, and we're really lucky to have him."

4. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing that makes me happier than seeing a house full of Fire fans cry is seeing it happen because the Revs beat them.

But as long as those Shitcago fans and players leave empty handed I'll consider this season a success :D

The final should be interesting. LA is a very good offensive team, but is RSL can find a way to weather the storm that is Becks and Donovan, I can see them countering on LA's snail paced back line.

5. Biker Jim

Biker Jim Member

Apr 15, 2000
    Newton, MA
    Andy Williams played well tonight. Other than nailing his penalty shot, Mathis didn't contribute much when he substituted for Andy. Blanco was so tired by the end of overtime that he couldn't even fall down properly. He nearly missed his penalty shot too.

6. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just had to run over to the Fire boards quickly... I love this short thread

7. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol that's priceless! The soccer gods must be Mormon! ;) Piss on the fire!

8. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That thread really helped my immune system :D

9. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After a Champions' League final a couple years ago played in the rain in Moscow, on turf that had just been install (and was rapidly uninstalled by the cleats of the Chelski and ManUre players), I guess those UEFA folks are pretty amateur too.:p

Not really trying to bust on you, but sometimes sh!t happens.

10. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I guess now our Revs-ChiFi line should change to: "Where the Fire playoff season goes to die, or at least get it's last rites.":p

11. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely the greatest thread of all time!

12. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed your post to reflect reality where the game was actually being played.

Seriously, if you're gonna complain about West Coast games that end late, you might as well turn back the clock to the 1940s, where none of the major professional sports leagues had any teams west of St. Louis.

13. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Philly Union new uniform: http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20091114_Philadelphia_Union_unveil_uniform.html

Nice looking shirt - classy shield/emblem - creative uniqueness on the back of the collar.

The new shirt does not bear the logo of a business sponsor, common to overseas teams and to more and more MLS clubs. Veit said the Union is working out arrangements so that once a sponsor is secured, fans can bring in their "blank" jerseys to have the logo attached.

SIGH

14. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would a fan want to allow themselves to be a walking signboard?

15. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Why do you care?

16. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It just makes the Jersey more authentic. Also if I support a team, and some sponsor is giving that team a ton of money, then I would feel like I should also support that company. That's why I bank at BofA and used to drink Serria Mist regularly.

17. jokeefe80

jokeefe80 Red Card

Oct 31, 2005
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    um, wat?

18. jokeefe80

jokeefe80 Red Card

Oct 31, 2005
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if they signboard directly effects the product on the field, then who gives a shit?

19. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    George is right - unless there is evidence that it benefits my team directly - and no one on this board has posted evidence of this - why advertise for somebody? Does Galaxy, Crew, etc. have more money to spend than Revolution, because they have sponsors? If so, then for Revolution not to have one is shockingly negligent. Otherwise, fogitaboudit.

On the other hand, I would have no problem to the Revs donating the space to a worthy charity, like Barca did with UNICEF.

20. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that would be awesome.

21. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I stayed up and watched the game... one of probably 8 total people that watched to the end on the East coast. Seriously, when MLS practically has to beg to get onto national TV, and needs ratings, why would you have an 830pm kickoff time on the west coast? It's stupid. It was a Saturday, should have been an afternoon game.

22. jokeefe80

jokeefe80 Red Card

Oct 31, 2005
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This argument is stupid. It was a West Coast game, played during primetime on the West Coast, where a majority of their potential market was.

Stop being so myopic in your thinking. This country is massive, and spans multiple time zones. If they started the game at 5:30 PT, their West Coast market (which was their base market for this game) would have been severely compromised.

Seriously, just stop. You sound foolish.

23. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Wasn't the WCF Friday night?

24. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's see ... you get free money, which you can then put back towards marketing, academy, whatever you'd like. So yes ... they have more money to spend because they have sponsors. Jon, I'm thoroughly confused and feel like you're asking something different, because that question seems ... well, you know.
    Yes it was.

25. Straps

Straps Member

Nov 7, 2005
    The other way it benefits the team is that they purchase tickets for their business. Xango coordinates their conferences for all their high sellers and sends them all to RSL and as a perk gives them tickets to the RSL games. A person I know in NH was walking around with an RSL shirt on and I asked him about it and he said he was going out there to watch RSL because Xango purchases 3,000 tickets per game for their employees. He said they have a great time - go out for a convention and then 3,000 of them attend the game and cheer for a team which has their logo on the front. I would like to see an extra 3,000 people per game at our games. I am sure Amway, Herbalife and these other companies do the same thing.