Other Team news (WPS)

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by Mattymags811, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, now that we have a Breakers forum we need a thread to catch the general news.

Apparently, Dallas will not be joining until 2010 along with Atlanta and Philly. The replacement team for '09 will be the Bay Area of California. They better not go by "Bay Area" again because that is just silly.
    http://www.womensprosoccer.com/newsitem_ektid4540.aspx

2. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To bad Dallas couldn't work something out with PHP....Maybe the stadium is to large for what they're looking for?? Maybe Jr Hunt wanted to much $$$??

As for Bay Area team...I'm glad to see them back...But hopefully CyberRays name stays dead!

Hopefully it'll help with the west coast scheduling....could make for a great back-to-back road trip!:D

3. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard that Hunt Sports wanted a rather hefty sum of money as rent.

4. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Bay Area, but we do have the FC Gold Pride... and St Louis Athletica... hmmmmm... maybe Bay Area Cyberrays wasn't so bad after all...

5. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Red Stars Defender Kate Markgraf to miss 2009 WPS Season

Bridgeview, IL (January 10, 2009) – The Chicago Red Stars defender Kate Markgraf is pregnant with her second child and will miss the 2009 WPS season, General Manager Marcia McDermott announced today. Markgraf, a veteran of six world championships and the co-captain of the US Women’s National Team that won the gold medal in the 2008 Beijing Olympics, is due in late June.

“The Chicago Red Stars would like to extend their warmest congratulations to the Markgraf family,” said McDermott. “This is wonderful and exciting news for Kate, Chris and Keegan, as well as for the entire Red Stars community.”

Good news for the Markgraf's. Congratulations Kate!

And man I'm glad we didn't want/take her back this year!! This surely hurts Chicago...

What a shame!:D

6. hocho

hocho New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Braintree

How does this type of thing happen? :p

7. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well when two people love each other.... :p

8. breakersgirl

breakersgirl New Member

Mar 19, 2008
  9. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been kinda slacking recently with this, but:
    The Chicago Red Stars have secured the services of Sweden’s Frida Östberg & Caroline Jönsson for the 2009 WPS season.
    http://www.womensprosoccer.com/newsitem_ektid8478.aspx?team=chicago
    The Chicago Red Stars have signed Australian midfielder Heather Garriock and English forward Karen Carney for the 2009 WPS season.
    http://www.womensprosoccer.com/newsitem_ektid8422.aspx?team=chicago
    FC Gold Pride signs Brazil's Formiga
    http://www.womensprosoccer.com/newsitem_ektid8486.aspx

10. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Gold Pride Sign Three
    Japanese footballer Eriko Arakawa, Brazilian midfielder Adriane and Bay Area native Tracy Hamm join the ranks of our first opponent.

11. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure where else to put this, but the WPS jerseys will be released tomorrow with A Rod and A Huc representing the home town team at the launch.

12. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    They're up on the Breakers home page.

[​IMG]

13. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

It's hard enough defending women's soccer to men's soccer fans let alone sports fans in general and WPS sees fit to put these athletes in skirts??

They can call them "wraps" and I know they won't be playing in them but this is just another aspect of the women's game and WPS that we as supporters have to defend now...

I wish I was in the meeting where this was decided...

The worst idea ever.

:eek:

14. TheStatsGuy

TheStatsGuy Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Somewhere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh please Uncle Mike. I know that you will be the first one in line to buy a skort. :D They're fashionable, they're airy and oh so hip. I mean, whats not to like? :rolleyes:

If I was one of the players that they tried to convince to walk down the "runway" in one of those i would have punched them in the face. April 5th and 11th can't come quick enough!

15. jrevs

jrevs New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    MA & DC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Glad they won't be playing in them, can't wait to see them scrapped.

Still, the jerseys look pretty nice- though I have to say, Chicago has the snazziest looking jersey of the bunch.

Any word on when I can buy one? Are those sweet long-sleeve ones going to be available for purchase by fans? Please?

16. Ann

Ann Member

Feb 17, 1999
    MA
    I despise the skirt thing. What is the point? What the heck were they thinking?

17. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. jrevs

jrevs New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    MA & DC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have to disagree with ya here. The Red Stars kits are an abomination. The stars look so goofy, but what else can one expect from the land of Blago and Blanco.

21. jrevs

jrevs New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    MA & DC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know- I left a (polite) comment about fact-checking, but it somehow got moderated out.:rolleyes:

Oh, and I like the Chicago jerseys because they aren't identical to the other six teams.

22. Andy Crossley

Andy Crossley Member

Oct 23, 2007
    I can't speak for any of the other teams' merchandise schedules and policies, but our Breakers Puma replicas are scheduled to arrive here in late March. I would expect to see them on sale sometime around the 1st of April.

We will have the home blue short-sleeve available as our replica. As you can see in the pictures poster earlier, it is a woman's cut.

The closest version for men will be a branded unisex jersey, from Puma's Attacante line. Click on the link below to see an un-logoed version of this jersey. This will be at a lower price-point (TBD) than the true replica.

We are not getting any skort/wraps, except for one that RevsFan1 begged us to special order for him. RF - that will also be in around April 1st...we're still trying to find a vendor to put that monogramming on that you wanted.

Andy

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/breakersandy/Attacante.jpg

23. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ah, what a funny man you are Andrew..

you're lucky I have such a great sense of humor!! bastid! :D

On a serious note...I'm curious how Joe thought this skirt fiasco was going to go over with the soccer community?? Not all the teams had those skirts made right? Was that a team decision? If so, who made it?

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/newsitem_ektid9342.aspx

One of the more unique elements of the WPS collection put on display are “ wraps” that were made as an additional piece for the Los Angeles Sol, Boston Breakers, FC Gold Pride and Sky Blue FC

So Chicago, Washington and St. Louis were the only smart ones out there?? As much as I dislike Peter Wilt, I cannot imagine him ever letting this happen in Chicago...

24. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd bet that all teams had them made, but not every team had someone willing to wear them in Manhattan.
    btw, am I the only one afraid of Hope Solo with very dark hair?

25. Andy Crossley

Andy Crossley Member

Oct 23, 2007
    One man's fiasco is another man's innovation. I am enjoying the conversation no matter what the comments may be.

It's an accessory rather than a piece of the formal uniform, so I look at it like an equipment bag or any other piece of complimentary gear. That's just my own personal opinion. I wish we had a few in the merch line for Breakers completists, but I don't think that's going to happen. We are also going to inquire about the retail availability of the long-sleeve blue jersey, as that has had a notably enthusiastic response, and will let you know what we hear.

I wouldn't read too much into which players or teams were modeling the wraps last night and which were not. However that was determined (I don't know), it doesn't reflect any organizational pro/anti strategy, at least not here in Boston.

AC