Other potential coaching options for the Quakes

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by xbhaskarx, May 20, 2018.

1. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Would happily take Schelotto. No opinion on Fraser or O'Connor. Hard pass on Porter and Wolff.

2. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was joking but Colorado won again this weekend, that's two in a row. And four wins for the season. So Anthony Hudson has twice as many MLS wins as Stahre. Unfortunately at this point we probably couldn't get him. :(

3. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HANDS OFF!. Ian is ours. Just dump Stahre in Tahoe with his cement galoshes on.

OWN(yewu)ED and bobby_guzman repped this.
  4. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, but we could see with some of those coaches that they were working toward a vision. They had plans that we could see unfolding on the field. Walsh in particular had a miserable first season, but many fans saw progress, and thus were patient.

Stahre on the other hand, appears to be a clueless dweeb. I don't see us using the same formation week after week. I don't see us using the same starters week after week. I don't see us experimenting so much as just flat sucking.

Por ejemplo! We haven't managed to defend "Area 14" well all season. It's not like this is a subtle weakness, it's glaringly obvious. But we still haven't made an adjustment to improve in this area. Our left back has gotten skinned repeatedly, no matter who plays there, but we still haven't addressed that yet.

We still suck on throw-ins and corners.

We still play too many high balls into Hoesen, who is much better with the ball at his feet.

We make subs too late, and often don't use all of our subs. Our subs are too frequently like-for-like, rather than an actual change up that might change our shape and gain an advantage for us.

We still have only three forwards.

So, while it might be possible that Blank Stahre might figure out how to win in this league, my view is that he just doesn't have the chops for this league. I know, I'm an impatient jerk. All the same, I want to replace him as soon as possible.

Go Quakes!!
    Fire Stahre!!

- Mark

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  5. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure, but in this thread you can find a list of NFL coaches who did badly in their first season, in case that for some strange reason doesn't mean f*ck all to you......

2in10 repped this.
  6. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Paging Ian Russell - please pick up the blue courtesy phone!

markmcf8 repped this.
  7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Maybe next year but not now in the middle of the USL season....
    upload_2018-7-14_20-57-36.png

don gagliardi repped this.
  8. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Are you freaking kidding me? If the Quakes need his help, the USL season is the very LAST thing that’s going to be on anybody’s mind.

markmcf8, xbhaskarx and alexiskool1991 repped this.
  9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don’t think they can. He is their coach and is under contract. Unless he quits that could be another story. If I were him, I’d wait until next year. That is if Fioranelli wants him but up until now, I don’t think he was ever considered.

10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we're going to make analogies from other sports, that would be like not calling up a hitter from a first place AAA team when the MLB team needed him... priorities might be *slightly* wrong there.

Having said that, I think Russell should stay in USL, not because Reno is in the middle of their season, but because the last thing the Quakes need is another coach who is untested at this level or higher. Fire Stahre, spend some freaking money to bring in a coach who actually has some success at a high level on his resume.

bobby_guzman repped this.
  11. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That's a bit unfair to Russell. He was an assistant in MLS for years. It's not like he's totally unfamiliar like Stahre was and still is. Not saying Russell is the right guy, just that the jump up to MLS might be smaller for him than it would be for a coach from another league, even if that league was technically better than MLS.

Sactown Soccer and bobby_guzman repped this.
  12. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    While Russell may turn out to be a good MLS coach, I fear he spent too much time in the locker room under Yallop, Kinnear and Watson. The Quakes need a new direction from a coach that is willing to play on the ground with possession through the midfield.

13. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you may underestimate him in that respect. He has not lost his locker room, and may not have been in agreement with what those 3 were shoveling.

markmcf8 and bobby_guzman repped this.
  14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Keep saying nice things about your coach and you just might lose him. :)

bobby_guzman and 2in10 repped this.
  15. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So true. We feel blessed to have and do expect him to be hired away from us. We are hoping for later not sooner.

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The point is, has there ever been any indication they want to hire Ian? He was around the team for over 10 years and was only given the caretaker job after Mark Watson was fired. They let him go to Reno this year so the only way I see them hiring him is if the replace Stahre after the season. So far, I see no indication they will be replacing the coach. I hope they do hire Ian but its not looking that way.

17. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Ian wins USL Championship and I predict he gets head coaching job.

18. David Scott

David Scott Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He needs to get citizenship of some European country before that.

19. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our season is OVER. It's been over for a few games now. Leave Russell where he is so he can have a chance at winning the entire thing with Reno. Those Reno fans and Reno players deserve that.

lazlo325, 2in10, David Scott and 2 others repped this.
  20. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That accident happens more often than chechens dropping political dissidents out of helicopters

2in10 repped this.
  21. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are there any legit coaching options that we could realistically have overseas? Or do we not wanna play that game again

22. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I hope not. Good coaches are good coaches no matter where they live but there is a learning curve in MLS. Long travel, hot summer weather, short rests on certain weeks and cash grab friendlies during the season are just a few examples.

2in10 and bobby_guzman repped this.
  23. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Yes, and Leitch was able to come in and make a lot of changes, and at least have mixed success. And that's with no previous coaching experience and no preseason runup, etc. I'd be happy to see Ian get a chance. Seems like most of the good MLS coaches are either ex-MLSers or otherwise domestic coaches. And yes, I get it - there are exceptions.

Sactown Soccer and bobby_guzman repped this.
  24. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll predict that Ian Russell will be a head coach in MLS next year, but I'm not sure which team.

xbhaskarx, 2in10 and jeff_adams repped this.
  25. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, let's clarify a few things here.
    • The Reno Aces people own Reno 1868.
    • However, the Earthquakes pay the salaries of the coaching staff and all of the players. Ian works for us and we can take him if we want.
    Ian Russell is Chris Leitch's guy. So, if Ian suddenly becomes our head coach, it will mean that Chris L is in charge, so I don't see it happening.

However, we could just as easily sack Stahre and replace him with Alex De Crook or perhaps a better call would be Steve Ralston. Then finish out the season with Steve running the show and try to hire Marc Dos Santos away from La F#ck. Again, think such a move would be more Chris than Jesse and I could easily see us firing both Jesse and Mikael.

Maybe we sack Stahre and make Alex head coach for the remainder of the season, and then go in a completely different direction in the off-season? I'm not sure.

It will be Fox's call whether or not to keep Jesse, but if an MLS coach is the way we go, then I think that Jesse will be shown the door.

Or I could be completely full of it. Mind you, I like Jesse, but I think that Stahre is a disaster.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark