Other potential coaching options for the Quakes

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by xbhaskarx, May 20, 2018.

1. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So would I. :)

2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I doubt I would be, either.

3. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just for grins and giggles, put Starhe in Reno and call up Ian Russell.

markmcf8 and SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  4. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Lets not ruin one of the only good things we’ve got going for our organization

5. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s a good point since they’re watchable each weekend.

alexiskool1991 repped this.
  6. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I love the title of this thread. I read it and the only suggestion I can come up with is "literally anyone else".

Honestly, though, Russell would be worth looking into. Let's see how he does this season, but he's shown he can produce an exciting team on his own, away from the cluster that was the Yallop and Kinnear regime. He was an assistant in MLS for long enough that he certainly knows the league and should know how to do the prep work required, which Stahre seems utterly baffled by.

The only real question is whether or not he can translate what he's done so far up another level (and also whether or not Reno's out of the gate success was a fluke or if there is actual substance to what Ian is doing).

Out of him, I can't imagine any self respecting coach would want to work for the organization, so after Stahre gets the boot, I wouldn't expect many coaches with any real history of success lining up to take the job.

2in10 and markmcf8 repped this.
  7. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Money and smooth talk can fix that.

If Jesse and the ownership talk a good deal, express that they really, really want to be successful and feel that starts with a successful coach, they can probably swing signing a guy who is only a step or two down from top tier.

Go Quakes!!
    Fire Stahre!!

- Mark

8. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly though Slavan Bilic was an excellent coach for West Ham, and I think their poor production was more down to the players than the coach. If we want to buy a good coach at a "low" to get a good return investment, that might be as good as any place to start.

doppelganger repped this.
  9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #84 xbhaskarx, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    In 2017 Graham Potter led Östersunds FK to a 5th place finish in the Allsvenskan, 2 points behind Mikael Stahre at BK Häcken who finished 4th.
    The Quakes hired Stahre, who has only managed 2 wins in his first 15 games including USOC.
    Meanwhile Potter went 8-3-3 in Europa League, beating Galatasaray, PAOK, Hertha Berlin, and even Arsenal with a microscopic Swedish club that he led up from the FOURTH DIVISION.

A few months later:
    Graham Potter confirmed as new Swansea City boss
    [​IMG]
    Potter arrives at the Swans having spent over seven years with Ostersunds.
    He has guided the club to three promotions – taking them from the fourth tier to the top flight – and won the Swedish Cup in 2017.​

From an Arsenal fan:
    He’s one of 3 manager last season to beat us at home. The other two were Mourinho and Gaurdiola.
    The Championship is ridiculously tough but still don't bet against Potter getting Swansea back to the Premier League in a year or two...

Boy we sure know how to pick em... Sam Garza over Matt Hedges, JJ Koval over Hagglund/Mullins/Hairston, Fatai Alashe over Cristian Roldan, Kris Tyrpak over Marky Delgado in the Chivas draft, Marc Pelosi over Sebastian Lletget when signing a local kid returning from the Premier League... Gio Savarese and Marc Dos Santos killing it in NASL and looking to coach in MLS, no thanks. We go to freaking Sweden to find a coach, and choose Stahre instead of Potter. Just brilliant.

From February:
    Full comment here
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/the-official-mikael-stahre-thread.2079027/page-13#post-36338565

markmcf8 and bsman repped this.
  10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seltzer: Five candidates to succeed Kreis at OCSC

There are plenty of fine unemployed managers at this time (and surely more who can be had after the World Cup ends). Our honorable mentions — a blend of MLS assistants Marc Dos Santos at LAFC and Kerry Zavagnin at Sporting Kansas City with experienced foreign managers Matias Almeyda, Leonardo and Gertjan Verbeek — would actually make for a decent list.

But those guys didn't quite make our list. Here's who did, in alphabetical order...

Guillermo Barros Schelotto
    Robin Fraser
    James O'Connor
    Caleb Porter
    Josh Wolff

Alphabetical order just happens to match the order in which they should be considered...

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Schelotto would be cool. He was hired by Palermo but then fired as he didn’t have his coaching badges. I don’t think it’s a requirement in MLS though...

12. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not what "fired" means, he couldn't do the job given the requirements so the two sides parted ways...

alexiskool1991 repped this.
  13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #88 falvo, Jun 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    Not sure what you read. I heard on many different theories and few articles about what happened. Palermo’s owner Maurizio Zamparini at first tried to stop him, then tried to sue because he was told to hire him when he didn’t have his license.

Palermo, Schelotto, addio shock: "E' la legge, - Gazzetta

As far as hiring and firing managers, Zamparini is notorious for firing since he bought the club in 02/03 I beluieve it was...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._Città_di_Palermo_managers

14. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Orlando City:

After names like Scolari were thrown around, they ended up looking at Porter, Dos Santos, and O'Connor. Porter turned down the job, O'Connor was likely second on their list...

Sources: Orlando City closing in on deal to make James O’Connor new head coach

Looks like it's a done deal:

Lou City FC agrees deal in principle with Orlando City SC for coaches James O'Connor and Daniel Byrd

Louisville City FC officials were informed this morning that head coach James O’Connor, who has led the team to the USL Championship and the Round of Eight in the US Open Cup, as well as assistant coach Daniel Byrd, have agreed to a deal in principle to accept the coaching position with Major League Soccer’s Orlando City SC.

Another coach the Quakes *could* have hired... let's see how O'Connor handles the transition to MLS, but it's hard to imagine it going much worse than Stahre's...

markmcf8 repped this.
  15. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    First year head coaching records of a selection of Super Bowl-winning, Hall of Fame head coaches in the NFL:

Tom Landry, Dallas Cowboys, 0-11-1 (1960)
    Chuck Noll, Pittsburgh Steelers, 1-13 (1969)
    Bill Walsh, San Francisco 49ers, 2-14 (1979)
    Joe Gibbs, Washington Redskins, 8-8 (1981) (but started 0-5)
    Bill Belichick, Cleveland Browns, 6-10 (1991)

Several of these guys would have been fired before the end of their first year, along with the "frauds" who hired them, if the lynch mob on this board were in charge.

SalinasQuakesFan and SeaJayBee repped this.
  16. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #91 xbhaskarx, Jun 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    Here is "a selection" of serial killers:
    Donald Harvey 1970 - 1987
    Donald Henry Gaskins 1953 - 1982
    Donald Leroy Evans 1985 - 1991

Do you think that list says anything about anyone else? Because I don't, I think jumping to conclusions about other people based on a cherry-picked sample would be freaking idiotic and therefore I won't do it. Again, (just do be clear, and reiterating for any mods) I DO NOT think that says anything about any other person. But I'm curious to know if you do, and how you reconcile that belief with any other utterly ridiculous comments you may have made in this thread in, say, the last ~6 hours...

Would you now like to provide a list of all the NFL coaches who didn't perform well in their first year AND DID NOT go on to win the Super Bowl? Just list the first few hundred names, as we don't have all day...

What the hell does the NFL have to do with anything? What forum is this?

Jesus that comment has two reps already... does this type of nonsense actually work? No wonder we as a species are so utterly f*cked...

Why beat around the bush, of course anything *can* happen, no credit given for merely stating that....

Do YOU think Mikael Stahre will ever have a positive career record in MLS? Do YOU think Stahre will ever win on of the three biggest trophies MLS teams compete for, MLS Cup or Supporters Shield or Concacaf Champions League? Whether with the Quakes or another MLS team if the Quakes front office listens to the "lynch mob" (that's some violent imagery you're using there, for what so far is totally standard criticism of a coach who isn't getting results)...

I'll actually go on the record and state that no Stahre-led (assistant coaching doesn't count) team will ever win MLS Cup or Supporters Shield or Champions League (winning US Open Cup doesn't say anything about coaching ability, see Ben Olsen's DC United in 2013).

[​IMG]

17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I knew you were mad bro !!!.jpg

18. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #93 don gagliardi, Jun 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    If I were cherry-picking, I would have also included these three with the first five:

Weeb Ewbank, Baltimore Colts, 3-9 (1954)
    Bill Parcells, New York Giants, 3-12--1 (1983)
    Jimmy Johnson, Dallas Cowboys, 1-15 (1989).

24 of 52 Super Bowls won by these eight coaches.

Nobody knows whether Mika Stahre will win MLS Cups for the Quakes, but the team's current abysmal record in less than one half of his first season is not evidence in itself he won't. That was my point, and it is frankly an unassailable one.

19. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Some more first year losing records of eventual Super Bowl winning coaches:

Dick Vermeil, Philadelphia Eagles, 4-10 (1976)
    Mike Ditka, Chicago Bears, 3-6 (1982) (strike shortened season)
    Mike Shanahan, LA Raiders, 7-9 (1988)
    Pete Carroll, New York Jets, 6-10 (1994)
    Tony Dungy, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 6-10 (1996)
    Gary Kubiak, Houston Texans, 6-10 (2006)

Seven Super Bowl wins among them, or 31 of 52 total Super Bowls won by coaches who had losing inaugural campaigns.

20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Super Bowl winning coaches who won as many they lost in the first season as head coach:

Jon Gruden, Oakland Raiders, 8-8 (1998)
    Brian Billick, Baltimore Ravens, 8-8 (1999)
    Mike McCarthy, Green Bay Packers, 8-8 (2006)

21. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Super Bowl coaches who managed to having winning seasons in their inaugural efforts:

Vince Lombardi, Green Bay Packers, 7-5 (1959).
    Hank Stram, Dallas Texans, 8-6 (1960).
    Don Shula, Baltimore Colts, 8-6 (1963).
    Don McCafferty, Baltimore Colts, 11-2-1 (1970)
    George Seifert, San Francisco 49ers, 14-2 (1989).

Mike Holmgren, Green Bay Packers, 9-7 (1992).
    Bill Cowher, Pittsburgh Steelers, 11-5 (1992).
    Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers, 10-6 (2007).

McCafferty and Seifert won Super Bowls their first seasons, but both followed in the footsteps of Hall of Fame coaches who had built championship caliber clubs. Seifert's 49ers were defending champs.

22. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still waiting for the list of hundreds of NFL coaches who started off bad and never won anything of significance...

23. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the Quakes can hire Anthony Hudson next... he's doing a terrible job in Colorado so clearly he's "due" to win MLS Cup soon! :thumbsup:

Rapids' Smith keeps faith in his vision

Last August, less than 24 hours after the club fired former head coach Pablo Mastroeni in August 2017, Colorado Rapids GM Padraig Smith and chief business officer Wayne Brant published an editorial in the Denver Post called “The Rapids Way.” Brant was technically co-author, but this felt like Smith’s manifesto, a distillation of his vision for the soccer side of the organization. The Rapids, they wrote, had to evolve to succeed. No longer would it be enough for them to simply be “well-organized, difficult to break down and good at grinding out results.” Colorado had to do more, had to move into the modern era of MLS. They had to become more attack-minded. They had to develop and commit to a plan. They had to build an identity.

Ten months, one new coach and 14 new acquisitions later, and the Rapids – results-wise – don’t appear to be much closer to finding their way than they were last August. Colorado are 3-9-3 through their first 15 regular season games under first-year manager Anthony Hudson, ahead of only San Jose and D.C. in the MLS standings. They’ve scored 19 goals, tied for second fewest in the league. Their negative-9 goal difference is fourth-worst in MLS. They recently endured an eight-game losing streak in league play, the worst run in club history and the longest losing skid in MLS this year.​

24. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Not pertinent to my point, which was specifically stated above.

Yes, some coaches suffer through a woeful first season and don't ultimately win anything. Other coaches start poorly and ultimately win championships. Hence, you cannot make any assessment merely from the fact a coach starts poorly. That's the fallacy that seems to trip you and others up in prematurely calling for a coaching change.

25. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Again, you misrepresent my argument, and I believe willfully so.