Other MLS games and Teams/Players [R]

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by UcIceD2011, Jul 22, 2012.

1. UcIceD2011

UcIceD2011 Member+

Jul 10, 2011
    Nor Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, today went almost as well as we wanted it to. The top two teams lost and one of the two teams above us lost, just wish it was the other team. Anyways, it is starting to bunch up at the top just like in the east. Next weekend's game is of vital importance and it sucks that we have to play it on only a couple day's rest. Dallas has all their swag back right now, especially after their win tonight. We have two must wins next week if we want to stay in range of 3rd place. I still think we have a chance for it, we just need Seattle to lose at least one of the games they have in hand on us. The season is going to go down to the last couple weeks, like always. Hopefully we can continue to play well with the fixture congestion that is coming up.

2. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey did anyone see Tristan Bowan come on for Chivas at the end of the Colorado game tonight? For one thing, he has grown bigger and stronger - a huge physical change, it's hard to recognize him. For another, he's fast and he caused Colorado fits, including the assist on their goal to tie it up and frustrate Colorado no end. Why do we always give up our wingers?? Hector Jimenez, you're our only hope.

Maybe everyone has seen him already, but it was new to me.

Ghosting repped this.
  3. Kilgore

Kilgore Member

Sep 18, 2007
    I expected RSL to win at home. They look catchable now; they have some tough road games on their schedule. If we beat them and Seattle at home, it's gonna be real close. I'd love to squeak past RSL for 3rd.

Berks repped this.
  4. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    It's funny RSL has put up a terrible "3rd" quarter every year since they won the cup. 2009 is looking more and more like a fluke.

5. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Second place is now a realistic goal. Unlikely but not out of reach

Berks repped this.
  6. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't seen him yet. I read his loan had expired and he was back with Chivas. It's scary the way you describe him, he sounds like he gonna be a guy that will constantly punish us. Why did we need to trade him to Chivas for just a draft pick? Why couldn't we just of loaned him off to Hammarby IF if we didn't think he was ready to contribute right away?

7. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Indeed win the games against Seattle and RSL (both home games I believe) and we get six point swings. Second may indeed be hard to reach, but finishing ahead of RSL is doable, even likely right if each team's respective form holds true.

First isn’t completely out of the question. Perhaps it's wishful thinking, but San Jose's bench isn’t that deep, the consecutive red card suspensions are going to test that bench and I just wonder if fatigue won't start to set in. I'd rather play it safe, roll in to the playoffs fully fit and ready to rock, but boy would it be fun to nick first place from them again.

Berks and TrickHog repped this.
  8. Kilgore

Kilgore Member

Sep 18, 2007
    The fact that RSL and Seattle play each other makes it more likely that we can catch one of them, but less likely that we can catch both.

9. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    24 points still available
    21 points against conference teams
    18 points at home
    15 points from teams below us in the standings
    9 points from those above

5 of RSL's 8 remaining games are on the road (key games @LAG, @SEA, VAN)
    5 of SEA's 10 remaining games are on the road (key games SJE, RSL, @VAN, @LAG)
    4 of SJE's 9 remaining games are on the road (key games @SEA, LAG)

Colorado and ChivasUSA are likely finished, they play too many games against those above them. Vancouver too has a rough schedule in. FC Dallas might be the dark horse here, they're starting to put things together and have some big 6 point swings. San Jose's remaining games are pretty easy, really only the away to Seattle and home to Galaxy should be difficult for them and with no CCL commitments there's no distraction. We'll see how they respond to the pressure. RSL just seems ripe for the taking. CCL games, more road than home, four tough opponents and in their annual free fall. Seattle finishing ahead of them is almost inevitable, I'd be a little disappointed to not finish ahead of them.

Berks and iride_mybike repped this.
  10. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Came across this article that said that Tom Huddlestone (Tottenham) wanted to play in the MLS for either SJE or DCU during the epl off season, then wanted to meet up and join Tottenham during their preseason match against either the Galaxy or NYRB depending on which coast he was loaned to.

"The move was not permitted under MLS rules..."

I wasn't familiar with this rule. Was it because he wanted to join the team before the transfer window opened up on July 1st?

It would of been crazy to see Huddlestone play in that Clasico game against SJE at Stanford stadium. Huddlestone is only 25 years old, and would of been one of the best players in the MLS during those eight weeks on loan. He's hasn't capped for England very much, but he probably would more caps if could of stayed healthy enough to string together a nice season at Tottenham.

11. Dawdler

Dawdler Member+

Apr 2, 2005
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm kinda curious about that rule too and Hudds is now at Stoke on a season long loan, so his future at Spurs maybe in doubt.

12. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone see this poll:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/08/22/poll-what-best-forward-combination-mls

Based on the numbers, I have no idea why this is even a question, but I could see NY at least entering the picture. But Seattle fans once again stuff the ballot boxes.

Keane/LD: 20 goals, 17 assists
    Henry/Cooper: 25 goals, 9 assists
    Wondo/Lenhart: 26 goals, 6 assists
    Johnson/Montero: 19 goals, 6 assists
    Keimara/Bunbury: 14 goals, 5 assists

13. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Using the traditional weighting of 2 points for a goal and 1 point for an assist then LA, NY & SJ are neck and neck. On a per minute basis I'm guessing (don't have time to look up) LA and NY would be far in the lead b/c of significantly fewer minutes for each tandem up top (LD playing a lot of midfield earlier in season and Henry missing games b/c of injury).

Keane/LD: 20 goals, 17 assists = 57 pts
    Henry/Cooper: 25 goals, 9 assists = 59 pts
    Wondo/Lenhart: 26 goals, 6 assists = 58 pts
    Johnson/Montero: 19 goals, 6 assists = 44 pts
    Keimara/Bunbury: 14 goals, 5 assists = 33 pts

Now if they add douchebaggery to the rankings then SJ wins in a landslide!

Berks repped this.
  14. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's interesting... Having watched all of these pairings in the last couple of months, I would say that Donova and Keane are easily the pick of the litter. Their combination play and off-the-ball movement is just way better than any other tandem. Heck... Johnson and Montero have not even been starting together of late.

I would say that these other pairs consist of one high quality player and one outstanding player... but only in LA do we have two really outstanding players playing side-by-side up front.

Berks repped this.
  15. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keane and LD have missed a lot more games then any other duo. I'm sure their per-game point duo is higher then any other duo in the league.

16. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many of those partnerships had both players starting for EPL teams earlier this season?

No poll required...

:)

17. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All good points above, but yes, I think the answer is obvious. ;)

18. Estiv-0

Estiv-0 Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone watching Philly vs RSL?

I fail to see how Danny Cruz is a pro
    He strikes me as an awkward player who can't do even the most of simple of things well

19. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With a win tomorrow we are within 3 points of RSL and 3rd. Wow. Plus, we can put more room between us and Vancouver/FCD.

20. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read this article and it kinda annoyed me.
    Basically, when the Galaxy went to Indonesia during the off-season we played against 20 year old Indonesian player Andik Vermansyah. After the match Bruce and Becks had a lot positive things to say about this kid. Source. There was rumors that we were going to try to bring him over for a trial with the team. Didn't happen. Now DC United have announced that he's on his way to trial with the their team.

21. esco300

esco300 Member+

May 8, 2011
    Seattle
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that kid is too Fragile for MLS , i dont see him staying here after a season , just look at how Cardozo was getting thrown around like a rag doll and now he ended up with Chivas hahah

22. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL has a tough road game against Houston tonight. Nick Rimando is playing in this match even though he was named to the USMNT roster. Looks like the RSL manager begged Klinsmann to let Rimando play in this game. Pathetic.

Hopefully RSL looses. If they do, we're still only 3 points behind them, but we'll have a game in-hand; and we still have 10 more goals them so far this season.

23. Kilgore

Kilgore Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Series Record:
    AT HOUSTON (8 meetings): Dynamo 7 wins, 21 goals ... Real 0 wins, 14 goals ... Ties 1

I wish this was televised.

24. New Mexican

New Mexican Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be shown on MLS Direct Kick

25. Kilgore

Kilgore Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Houston wins in extra time. That must be soooo heartbreaking for RSL. I can't begin to explain how bad I feel for them. :p

UcIceD2011 repped this.