Other MLS games and Teams/Players [R]

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by UcIceD2011, Jul 22, 2012.

1. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have we EVER been at "full strength" this year?? This time JDS late scratch. What gives with our fitness and prep?

MPNumber9, barroldinho, rokstedy and 2 others repped this.
  2. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Like I said. I’ve seen this one before.

3. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    C’mon man. Great game. And thanks Delgado for skying what should have been the winning goal.

Epic run by TFC. Soul crushing. And what a terrible year for MB.

kaburu and TrickHog repped this.
  4. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As soon as I saw Delgado miss that wide open shot, I knew the game was lost for TFC. I had the exact same feeling when Wondolowski missed the exact same shot in 2014....

Berks repped this.
  5. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    The regional kumbaya approach to MLS is just not something I’m ever going to come to terms with. I either don’t care like with TFC or will actively be wanting a team to lose, say a Seattle, San Jose, DC or LAFC. Knowing you came to soccer from the national team I can see how that might give an importance to the US’s domestic league doing well against international competition.

I came from the “old world” decades where decades of history between teams means there’s usually no love lost even for teams that have since sunk in to obscurity.

I’m not saying one approach is right, I’m just never going to root for Toronto. I don’t care if the rest of the world doesn’t give MLS the respect it deserves.

6. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #8131 Berks, Apr 27, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    That's fine, but it was a good game regardless. I had a hard time boiling it down to, "I've seen this one before.". Fine if you didn't want to support TFC/MLS.

TFC beat:
    1) the best team in Mexico historically
    2) the current top ranked team in Mexico
    3) beat Chivas IN Mexico

They played a great game and then choked at the bitter end. That's not, "I've seen this one before." We've NEVER seen this one before. I dunno, it's just such a cynical approach to a great run and solid game.

Whatever about any moral victories (which as of this year the league should be beyond), I was excited to watch a hotly contested final. It's good to see CCL gain importance - cause one day, we should want to win it!

EDIT: Maybe I'm just glass half full today. :)

7. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    RSL beat Saprissa in Mexico and just had to win/draw at home to be the first MLS team to win CCL. Then they lost. Montreal earned a 1-1 draw against America in Mexico then also lost at home. The variables might be different, but the result was the same.

8. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    On that we certainly agree.

Berks repped this.
  9. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #8134 Berks, Apr 27, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    The variables and how RSL and Montreal got there are incredibly different. Toronto faced a gauntlet that neither of those other teams had. Those variables matter and should have MLS dumping any moral victories going forward. I don’t think you can equate these three teams. At all.

Saprissa is Costa Rican. RSL faced the Crew and Saprissa and the only Mexican team they faced in the home/home legs was Monterrey in the final.

Montreal beat Pachuca in last minute fashion, then played a Costa Rican team to get into the final.

WarGalaxy repped this.
  10. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #8135 ShortyMac, May 12, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
    Gyasi with a brace today. Now with 8 goals, MLS top scorer at the moment.

Our goalscorers:

1. Ola - 4
    2. Zlatan - 3
    3. Gio - 2
    4. Ema - 1

Dr.Phil and Skevin repped this.
  11. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    It's extremely frustrating to see Gyasi succeeding, but not because we don't want to see him do well, but rather that the main issue turns out wasn't Zardes. I still think Kamara is the better player, but we are still struggling even with a better player in our team. We need to sort out our management, or else we're deemed to repeat this shitty circle.

natfaninla, 73Bruin and ShortyMac repped this.
  12. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noted this in the alumni thread. Good for him. Guess it wasn't Keane/LD after all, and looks like his USMNT stats were more accurate than folks thought.

[Yes, I'm loving every minute of it, except I wish our goal scorers were ahead.]

13. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Well as bad as things are going for us at least we aren't Seattle. Yes they are 2-7-2 and yes their .73pts/g ranks them 22nd out of 24 teams (only SJE and COL are worse). But that's not even the bad part. Worse is how they got here. After 11 games - one-third of the way through the season - Seattle has scored a measly 7 goals. So they average about 0.63 goals per game. Making matters worse all of their goals were scored in just three games. So yep - the Flounders have been shut out in 8 times in their first 11 games! I'm pretty sure that has to be an MLS record for offensive ineptitude. :eek::eek::eek:

So while I'm frustrated as hell with our team I still would rather go through our personal brand of hell. Watching my team regularly go four game stretches with nary a goal would be even worse. Seattle has had two such stretches already.

ProudNatRN, Skevin, Berks and 3 others repped this.
  14. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #8139 skydog, Jun 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    PS - To understand how truly bad 0.63 goals/gm is -- the 2nd worst offense in MLS (Montreal) scores 1.1 goals/gm which is 68% more often than Seattle.

Just an fyi - the best offenses in the league this season are scoring 2 to 2.25 goals/game so far; from best to worst they are NYRB, ATL, HOU and NYCFC.

Meanwhile we have scored at a 1.40g/gm clip which puts us is in a 3-way tie for 14-16th place ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

And of course making it worse is us simultaneously leaking 1.6g/gm. :thumbsdown::(

TrickHog repped this.
  15. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    I want to gloat about their atrocious start, but the last two times I did they ended up in the final.

skydog, TrickHog and The Cadaver repped this.
  16. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are right. Gloating generates bad karma.
    But I can still smile quietly to myself every time they fail.

17. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching a well-oiled team like SKC just hurts...

skydog repped this.
  18. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zardes is like a new player. Now with ten goals this season...

Berks, 73Bruin and The Cadaver repped this.
  19. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still not impressed, it's different scoring goals in (please don't take it personally I beg you) Ohio than in LA where it's pretty much like the sun rising everyday expected. He just got too comfortable and stopped competing here, but it's promising to see that he is doing well for his sake and his career.

20. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Very glad to see him thrive. He was pressing so badly here and wanted to succeed but two things happened. We didn't have a team that was capable of using him as he should be used, and he lost his confidence.

Dr.Phil, skydog, Skevin and 7 others repped this.
  21. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would love to see Zardes get another USMNT call up.

1. He's earning it
    2. I can't wait to see some fans' head explode with rage

Teal Bunbury is right behind him with nine goals. Another career resurrection!

rokstedy and Berks repped this.
  22. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    We may have the opportunity to contend for a title this season. As of right now, the Revs hold the MLS Title Belt. https://twitter.com/MLSTitleBelt

If they somehow lose to DC next match, we'll get to play DC the following week for the belt. If NE wins, and manages to also beat seattle the following week, we'll play NE for the belt on 7/14.

[​IMG]

23. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does the linear MLS title belt have lineage from the first MLS Cup match? Or does it start new every year?

24. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    First Cup Winner.

25. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Also, should've mentioned, you have to lose the match to lose the belt so, NE could draw the next two to keep the belt going into our match.