Other MLS games and Teams/Players [R]

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by UcIceD2011, Jul 22, 2012.

1. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Years ago when Chivas USA existed. I think it was a derby game against the Galaxy too.

Berks repped this.
  2. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey diving for a PK

4. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toronto is desperately trying to pull a 2017 LA Galaxy right now.

EDIT: OMG, bounces off the post and in, hilarious. 2-0.

StillKickin repped this.
  5. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A quick search doesn't find anything so it's entirely possible it didn't happen and my brain conjured it for some reason. That's not a good sign for my mental health.

6. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. TOTAL DOMNATION by Toronto.

7. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally the diving team wins cup

8. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to TFC

skydog and Berks repped this.
  9. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait. Dumb question - does Toronto visit Justin Trudeau now rather than the White House? I'd take that trade.

barroldinho, skydog, hav77 and 2 others repped this.
  10. rtdavide

rtdavide Member+

Apr 20, 2005
    Whittier, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    seattle not winning is about the only thing that's gone right soccer-wise for me this year

galvanator, GalaxyKoa, hav77 and 4 others repped this.
  11. ragbone

ragbone Member+

Sep 2, 2005
    Santo Tomas, Batangas, Philippines.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to perhaps the greatest Galaxy defense ever. As TFC's coaching braintrust, Greg Vanney, Robin Fraiser, and Dan Calichman have just won the MLS cup and a domestic treble.

barroldinho, GalaxyKoa, wcmanes and 3 others repped this.
  12. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The domestic treble is pretty darn impressive.

EDIT: Excited to see what this Toronto team can do in CCL.

barroldinho, TOAzer, hav77 and 2 others repped this.
  13. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley was masterful in this game. Probably my MVP.

galvanator and Berks repped this.
  15. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Happy to see Seattle lose but it's annoying to see people call TFC the best team in MLS history. They're de finitely a fantastic team but best of all time? No.

The Canadian cup is now considered a major domestic trophy lol.

16. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Enjoyed the game - Toronto was the best team and deserved it. Congrats to them. Do NOT ask me to praise Michael Bradley - I must have missed the stuff that's inspiring @TrickHog and Taylor Twellman and Matt Doyle. Jozy and Giovinco finished that goal, from a good buildup. Lots of forwards could have missed that and Jozy did very well.

Kept thinking - why can't we get a goalkeeper like Frei? Sigi, find us something under the Christmas tree please.

StillKickin and TrickHog repped this.
  17. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't care who won but delighted Seattle lost.

barroldinho, StillKickin, TOAzer and 3 others repped this.
  18. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He was pretty darn good this game. Won't erase his USMNT performances, but this MB was stellar.

barroldinho, galvanator, skydog and 2 others repped this.
  19. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point he is a very good club level player. But if the Nats can't find or develop someone better, we are in bad shape.

20. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    28 defensive actions for Bradley, 1 foul, no cards. That's pretty masterful. And Jozy's goal was very well-taken.

When you look at the TFC project, where that team has ended up from where they started and the role Jozy and Bradley have played in getting them there, I think it vindicates them for all the folks who said they took it easy by coming back to MLS. When people talk about all the things they would've faced by sticking it out in Europe -- it's hard to argue these guys haven't faced pressure to perform and improve, the pressure of expectations, the pressure of being marquee players in this league, and risen to the occasion. At the end of the day, sports is about winning titles -- not fighting for a spot on squad that isn't competing for anything.

These guys are going to rue missing out on the World Cup in their prime years for the rest of their lives. That's going to be part of their legacy. But so is being part of turning around a team that used to be a laughing stock in this league to one now being considered the best in MLS history.

Berks, barroldinho, galvanator and 4 others repped this.
  21. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I was crushed to see Seattle improved on last year's performance. I think they picked up two late SOG. :(

Berks, barroldinho, ragbone and 5 others repped this.
  22. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I think the Ciman situation is worth discussing.

LAFC acquired Ciman, and apparently Ciman was not aware of this at all. Ciman and his lawyer apparently had a verbal agreement with Montreal that he would not be moved. As many of you probably know, Ciman's daughter is autistic, and the main reason Ciman came to Montreal was so he could get the best treatment for her possible all the while have a french speaking doctor. Also to add insult to injury, Ciman had just completed the building of his new home in Montreal before the trade.

Now Ciman is in a strange spot. He came to the MLS for his daughter's well-being, and now has to either retire to stay in Montreal, move his family to LA and get a new doctor, or work in LA while his family stays in Montreal.

MLS is the only soccer league where a player can have his rights traded away and the player has no say in the matter. Basically retire, or comply. It's messed up. I remember when Rogers wanted to come back to the MLS, Rogers made his opinions know on twitter how he hated that he had no say in his own soccer career. Whoever traded for his rights was going to get Rogers even if Rogers did not want to play for that club.

73Bruin, rokstedy, barroldinho and 2 others repped this.
  23. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Doesn't this happen to a lot of players in the NBA, MLB and NFL? My impressions is that in professional sports a player having say over where he/she will go is the exception more than the rule.

24. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US is generally the exception in this aspect. While those big leagues (and the NHL) certainly are in the forefront of American minds, most pro and semi pro team sports players cannot simply be traded to another team. I think certain foreign leagues like the KHL and AFL (Aussie Rules) allow trades but generally it does seem that unilateral trades are the exception rather than the rule. Certainly within the soccer world (which on it's own represents a rather large part of the pro/semi pro team sports market), it's pretty rare.

MLS isn't completely unique though. Liga MX has something similar with El Pacto de Caballeros. Rights are held indefinitely by a Liga MX club. If your rights are traded, you can only play with the team who holds your rights or you're forced to leave Mexico entirely. They even hold a "draft", which is more akin to MLB's winter meetings, where lots of player trades happen in the off-season.

What happened to Ciman is unfortunate (and really, he should have not signed without a no-trade clause), but supposedly LAFC talked with him prior to the trade and hopefully they go the extra mile for family and daughter.

Berks, skydog and ragbone repped this.
  25. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In the US perhaps. In the EU at least, that doesn't fly. The Bosman case was precisely this kind of scenario and made this completely illegal.

You cannot legally make a player move to a team he doesn't want to play for.

skydog repped this.