Other MLS games and Teams/Players [R]

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by UcIceD2011, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I've been on vacation the past week, so I've been out of the loop on this, but I actually live in Austin, TX. I'd love a team here. We had the Aztecs a couple years ago, but terrible flooding destroyed the stadium, and then the owners couldn't find a new home for the Aztecs. Finally they are coming back next year. There is a huge soccer following here in Austin. We are a big city, and we did love our aztecs. I'd be happy if we got a MLS team here. I'm really sick of driving to Houston and Dallas to watch LA play.

Dr.Phil, hav77 and Geneva repped this.
  2. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The scandalous bit about it is the way Precourt (the owner) went about it: it seems it was always his plan to relocate the team when he acquired the Crew in 2013, which would explain the new generic badge re-branding. The stadium deal is being used an excuse for an out, but it's looking more like this was always the plan and Garber may have been in on it from the beginning.

3. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was it the Hunts from whom he bought the club, or were they out by that point? If it was the Hunts, they will be delighted to have another Texas based rivalry. Not only Garber, but whoever sold the club was probably aware of this too.

4. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Aztex used the stadium thing as an excuse, really. They aren't coming back, either. It's an entirely new team and don't be surprised if that team never actually comes into fruition if Precourt follows through on his d-baggery and moves the Crew to Austin.

jeff_adams repped this.
  5. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He would have to build a stadium (he says w/out tax payer money) and get owners approval.

I do not think Owners will approve Austin.

San Antonio has to be pissed

6. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    RTP is ready and willing. Introducing the Raleigh-Durham Crew!

7. galvanator

galvanator Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Atascadero, CA USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone see Giovinco's free kick against Atlanta? Perfectly placed in the corner. The best thing about it was everyone watching had to know what he was going to do and yet Guzan still couldn't stop it.

Since no post-season for LA, who you do you like or want to win MLS Cup?

8. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably either C-bus or Red Bulls.
    C-bus because of their situation with their owner.
    Red Bulls because I kind of feel sorry for them.

They're long shots so realistically I think Toronto will win because they probably want to make up for last year's MLS Cup.

9. galvanator

galvanator Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Atascadero, CA USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be interesting. I still feel bad for how they lost in 2015.

10. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll go all in on Cbus because of the relocation issue and the Galaxy ties on the team (and because my family is from Ohio and I lived there for 9 years once upon a time).

11. 7E23

7E23 Member+

Jul 7, 2008
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not Seattle or Sad Jose

Ghosting, rokstedy, Berks and 2 others repped this.
  12. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not Seattle, or SJ. Probably not TFC, because the only thing stopping them from being anointed best team ever is an MLS Cup.

TrickHog repped this.
  13. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to say Toronto, but that's a good point @MPNumber9.

Would like a team from the East this time around - agree with NYRB being an interesting choice.

I can't live with Seattle winning again. No thank you.

TrickHog and galvanator repped this.
  14. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AJ is out with a torn ACL that sucks

I really don't like Toronto Red Bulls Seattle Portland San Jose

So any other team

Geneva repped this.
  15. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's probably a lost cause, but since my son is an avid Chicago Fire fan I guess I will adopt them this time around. If nothing else, they represent a model of how to rebuild a moribund club. Hope Sigi takes notes.

shelbo, Geneva, TrickHog and 3 others repped this.
  16. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I put money on Atlanta and seattle a long time ago.

Atlanta because I watched one of their first games and thought they were going to gel into a style of play above anything else in the league and seattle because if they wound up going back-to-back I wanted to at least get something out of it.

I probably won't be paying much attention until November though, since my Dodgers are 3 wins away from winning the F'n Series.

kaburu repped this.
  17. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Ok, guess I won't be watching tonights game on my DVR.

18. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Crap, sorry.

19. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yes, the goal by Portland that should not have been allowed because of an earlier play that showed the ball went out of bounds but was allowed to play on. Okay, another reason for C-Bus to win it.

20. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I read that we are getting a team next year again. I don't really care if it is the Aztecs or someone else. I just want some soccer here.

TrickHog repped this.
  21. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I am rooting against Seattle, San Jose and both New York teams. I am rooting for TFC and Atlanta because they provide roadmaps On how to build winning teams with TFC being the Tim Leiweke method and Atlanta being the new method.

22. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    No problem. No reason for you to expect it to be an issue.

23. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I should've kept it to the Dodger thread on the NSR page.

24. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The new Austin USL team isn't supposed to start play until 2019, which is when Precourt intends to start MLS's transition from soccer league to city ransoming Major League (ie move the Crew to Austin). A USL and an MLS team in the same market doesn't really work, and because of the two leagues' partnership, geographic rights apply such that a USL team can't be in an MLS team's market without their blessing. I can't see a USL team being very successful launching at the same time and in the same market as an MLS team, so I don't see a way forward for the USL group in Austin if indeed the Crew do get ripped from Columbus. So it could work out that the USL group ends up getting screwed over by Precourt as well.

25. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apropos of nothing, my fandom of MLS as an entity is slipping. I was naive to think MLS was going to be any different from the current money grubbing major leagues in this country. I've overlooked a lot of what I consider MLS's flaws, I know the rules like the back of my hand, I've defended the league a ton but I'm growing more disenfranchised. The Crew being moved (particularly if they don't leave the history and name in Columbus) has hit me pretty hard. Along with many other little things, I don't know if I believe MLS is acting in the best interest of soccer in this country anymore.

No disrespect of the people or city of Austin, but I hope Precourt is forced somehow to sell to a group that will keep the club in Columbus. It's such a remove possibility, however, that I don't apply any sliver of hope to it.