Other Brazilian programming (besides Globo and PFC) in the US

Discussion in 'Brazil NSR' started by Mengão86, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Does anyone here subscribe to Band Internacional, Record Internacional and Band News? I never really watched much on Band or Record before besides Panico. Any other worthwhile programming on those channels? I'm left with a decision where picking up those channels may be the most cost effective thing to do.

2. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    do you have Dish or Direct Tv? They took the two Band stations of the brazillian pack for direct tv . They used to show matches on Band too.

3. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I actually have Dish's IPTV service. I know Band shows live games and there's Band Sports, but is there anything n else?

4. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well idk for your entertainment but if there is a women in the house Record is definitely good value if they like novelas, live performances , reality tv and those beach prank shows. Depends on the bundle they are offering you. When I had Band I didn't watch it at all. I practically got the two bands for free because they charge so much for pfc and globo even if they are bundled.

5. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    I only have Globo and PFC, through DISH. I have no use for soap operas and the such. Sometimes I watch the news, but I basically only use these channels for soccer.

6. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    I'm moving next weekend, and can finally get a dish. Which has the better package, dish or directTV? I'm mainly interested in Sports, and the woman wants to be able to watch the novelas. We also watch CQC, Danilo, O mundo segundo brasileiros, and a couple others on the internet when we have time.

7. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Where in NC do you live?

8. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Why are there so many members from NC here? :p All of the DMV users post at other forums at BS...like @gremio1903

gremio1903 repped this.
  9. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    I live in Chapel Hill. I see you are in Raleigh! Cheers, neighbor!

10. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Maybe one reason is that North Carolina is very strong in youth soccer; at some point I looked it up and the prevalence of the sport here was more important than in many other US states (although less significant than some other places like Washington State, California, etc.). So as these kids grow up they become adult fans; their parents also become more familiar with the game.

11. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well, I meant Brazilians or people interested in Brazilian soccer in general.

Maryland also isn't too shaby itself, having one of the better universities for soccer and its renowned soccerplex where Freddy Adu currently trains at. :D

12. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Direct Tv only has Globo and Pfc but in reality that is all you really need unless you are familiar with Band. You could get a specific brazilian tv package from both but i'd suggest just purchasing pfc and globo as add ons. I'm not a big fan of Dish for equipment reasons. Direct Tv is pretty awesome plus when you sign up you'll get the nfl ticket for free so you can watch your boy mcgloin and not get stuck with the panthers games... Direct Tv is the most sport friendly company if that is the direction you want to go in.

NotreDameFlamengo repped this.
  13. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    A ton of outsiders in general here, especially those they still refer to as yankees in a non-joking way. It has been the best area for real (good paying) job growth in a lot of different work areas, and the weather is great compared to the North. A lot of jobs bringing internationals and those from other states, as well as the colleges bringing International students who end up staying.

14. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I guess that's why celito ended up there too. It's not a coincidence that you are all from the "Research Triangle" area...

I bet there are even more Brazilian restaurants down there than there are in the DMV :rolleyes:

15. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    I didn't even know Celito was living here.

Not at all. They are a couple over-priced rodizios that cater to American tastes, i.e. no authentic brazilian options in the buffet, limited meats, not even pao de queijo at one of them. No real go-to place. A few ladies makes different dishes (escondidinho, feijoada, strouganoff, etc) every week and delivers them. Not bad, but you have to buy a lot of it, and it goes to waste. The other lacking thing here is good pizza and hoagies. It does have really good Latin American food places, Mexican, Argentinian, Peruvian.

I've lived a lot of places in this country, and I'd never thought I'd live in the South in my life. Came here temporarily for 6 months and I've been here for over 1.5 years with no plans to move anytime soon. When excluding the family and friends element, I'd only trade Raleigh for Southern Cal. I never lived in Florida, but I assume I like it there also.

16. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Oops. Back in the day, his profile used to show his location, but I guess he chose to hide it.

I'm actually a bit surprised. I haven't really been to NC other than a time I stopped at Rocky Mount for a night on a drive down to Myrtle Beach. There are actually a few Brazilian restaurants down in Myrtle Beach, to my surprise.

I wouldn't live in the South either, maybe besides Florida due to the weather, beaches and accessibility to Brazilian food. I've been there on vacation and will be going later this year and the people just aren't very friendly down there. I also know a few people that went to live down there and told me the same thing. And the drivers drive like lunatics!

17. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Well, I find this region - the NC Triangle - just fabulous. All those ideas about "The South, the Bible Belt" etc. don't really apply here to the Triangle, since it's actually rare to find a native here. Most people come from the Northeast and from abroad. The population is highly educated given the R&D businesses and the three universities - it's said that we have the highest concentration of people with doctoral degrees per square foot. True, no great Brazilian restaurants here although there is one about one hour drive that is rather excellent: Leblon, in Greensboro (owned by a Brazilian couple; the husband is the chef and he is very good). On the other hand, there are spectacular restaurants specializing in other cuisines (it's considered one of the best gourmet cities in the USA) such as Lantern, Elements, Herons, Nana's, and a long list of others. Regarding Brazilian culture, there are many Brazilian families here, both temporary (graduate students at the local universities) and permanent, so, yes, maybe one won't find the restaurants but people will cook at home and invite others. I find that quality of life is great - like NotreDameFlamengo said, with plenty of high-paying jobs (that's exactly why I moved down here from New York City), not a lot of traffic jams, and everything is easy and accessible in terms of various forms of entertainment. In the matter of sports, it's college basketball country with the legendary Duke-UNC rivalry but there is also plenty of soccer with a local professional team that has a beautiful soccer-specific stadium (Carolina Railhawks), a triple A baseball professional team (the Durham Bulls), the Carolina Hurricanes in Raleigh (Ice Hockey), and NFL and NBA teams at driving distance in Charlotte (although, not very good ones... ). Also, both nice beaches and nice mountains with ski resorts and wineries are easily accessible (2-3 hour drive). One needs to add to this, all the offer in college sports in the ACC, including college soccer with both Duke and UNC often being ranked teams.

I also came here thinking that I'd be temporary here. As a matter of fact I want to stay here for good, and have no intention whatsoever of moving out. I do travel back to NYC some three times a year to visit friends and do stuff, but I'm rather happy here.

18. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    I've had DISH for years and never really looked into other options. I'd be interested in knowing more about why you think Direct TV is much superior.

DISH does have the NFL Red Zone which shows every single red zone play and every single score, live, from all games. I often have this on split screen on one side of my TV, while I follow a Panthers game on the other side (in terms of being stuck with Panthers games, I do like the Panthers even though they haven't been great, lately, except for making the playoffs this past season). In terms of equipment, I'm satisfied with the DVR from DISH. What are the equipment advantages you see with Direct TV?

19. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Lol I wasn't bashing the panthers Notre Dame is an eagles fan so that was my point there. I can't watch my team locally so that was why I first moved to Direct Tv. Direct Tv is known for it's customer service and I have been pleased. I haven't had to pay for the NFL ticket in 3 years but I do have to call up and make up an issue to complain about. I know people with Dish who have had technical/dish issues that have taken weeks to resolve, Direct Tv is definitely more organized on that front. Dish does have good ploys/teasers at a very low rate but their channel packages are misleading because they will leave out a few channels you would expect in a basic package. Dish does have great value on those base packages though, I can't debate that. Direct Tv has a great online streaming service , I know Dish just copied it so no opinion their yet. Direct Tv has way better on demand functions for instance if you subscribe to Hbo, on the hbo on demand you will have access to every season of the sopranos, deadwood, ect which has tons of value for me. On the hardware front I really think either way you win if we are talking about whole home dvrs. I didn't really like Dish's interface or guide as much but that is just a personal preference. So yea the only big selling point for Direct Tv over dish is the Nfl Ticket. I have heard tech guys say Direct Tv has better satellites and wiring so the picture quality is better but I doubt it is even noticeable.

20. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Even if you have no plans of switching mention it to Dish/DirectTv and they will negotiate.

21. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Thanks. I see, you make good points. Price-wise I do think DISH is kind of expensive, and I dropped some channels to lower the price (and now I miss them... like Fox Deportes which has Libertadores games). Technical problems, I haven't had any big ones, and a couple of minor ones I had they were fast in fixing them. By the way, they also have the HBO in Demand thing.

22. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Will they show all the WC matches on Globo inter or PFC?

23. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    They used to show Brazil WC games on GI, but I wasn't here for 2010, so I'm not sure if they did then.

24. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    I don't think so, since US channels have exclusive rights for the US territory.

NotreDameFlamengo repped this.
  25. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    They ran a bulletin on globo international during the flamengo match saying they wouldn't.