OT tulsa

Discussion in 'USL Expansion' started by USRufnex, Feb 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Tulsa's 2014 team already has a name.
    The Tulsa Athletics.

You know, the soccer-based organization who actually knows a thing or two about who the old Roughnecks were and what their legacy is really all about, along with the many supporters, volunteers and fans who have played under their coaching and guidance over the years...

http://www.tulsaathletics.com/news/proklahomans-legends-edition-billy-caskey/
    ***old NASL and 80s-era MISL fans will enjoy the entire, cough, cough **colorful** interview***
    [​IMG]

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "That’s a one off thing that’ll never happen again. They’ll never resemble the Roughnecks that we had here, all those years ago. I think the name should be put to rest and put down in history."

As it probably should have been with most of these names. Not because they're not great names. Not because we don't have great memories of them. Not because they're not meaningful. Not because they don't have a great history.

Because you can't recapture that. It can't be what it was. None of these things can be.

You can say (and I have) "maybe they don't have to be," and that would be a fair point of view, too.

But it's undeniable that you can't replicate what made those brands special just by bringing back names and colors.

Chowda and Mikey mouse repped this.
  3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy cow.

It must be really, really unsatisfying to be you, given how many people are actively trying to do things without consulting you.

4. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #4 USRufnex, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
    mikehurst21 asked me for my opinion.

I gave it.

And my opinion isn't a whole lot different from what I've heard from several other fans I know who supported the NPSL club here last year when discussing the current situation...

Let me know when you'd like to start responding to my posts in such a way that indicates you're something other than a condescending little troll and maybe we could have a reasonable conversation sometime.

5. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #5 USRufnex, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
    And one more thing.... check out the first 2+ pages of this thread.

It has been really, really satisfying to be me over the past year, considering how many people have actively tried to do things based on my advice and oftentimes in direct consultation with yours truly.... occasionally making me blush in the process, truth be told.

I've also partied recently with Winston DuBose and sang a karaoke "My Way" with Billy Caskey...
    Being webmaster at TulsaRoughnecks.com has its occasional perks. :p

6. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yawn. Name dropper.