OT: NHL Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea Off Topic Threads' started by Eddie26, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The hell it doesn't

2. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #1 team in the NHL my man! I unfortunately haven't been to ANY Flyers games this year. They are just too overpriced (and in the NHL as a whole overpriced but that's the facts of a league where 50% of the revenue comes from ticket sales). I've been to 4 Penguins games though. It sucks, watching games on TV isn't anywhere close to watching hockey live (though HD makes a HUGE difference, more so in hockey than any other sport). It's just a totally different game. I can never seem to get hold of the $20 tickets either. I never know when they go on sale. I really wanted to go to the Canucks game in Dec but couldn't get tickets. I really want to go to the Hurricanes or Canadiens game in March as those two games are sandwiched in between my birthday. I might try to get some for those. I tried to get a press pass from my work (www.sportsnetwork.com) but was told no. I am going to keep groveling and begging though.

3. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I hate Crosby as much as anyone. I also think Cherry is a joke but the man has a point after Ilya Kovalchuck's totally classless display the other night:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=149860&hubname=

What the hell is wrong with the Pens. THEY HAVE LYLE ODELEIN!! Get his goon ass on Crosby's hip. Anything happens to Crosby, you answer to Lyle. Hell, McSorley and Dave Brown made a career out of protecting Gretzky! The NHL has to wise up like the NFL did with QB's. You can keep letting your stars get pounded and hurt, it's just bad for the league.

4. hiddi

hiddi Member

Jul 23, 2005
    philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  5. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  6. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  7. hiddi

hiddi Member

Jul 23, 2005
    philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ha c'mon! At the game i'm not a dallas fan! I'd be crazy to cheer and wear dallas gear here. Oh but I did have the biggest grin on my face when Roy Williams ran back that interception this year at the Linc. :D

[​IMG]

8. hiddi

hiddi Member

Jul 23, 2005
    philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    bad loss for the flyers last night :/

9. chelsea new yorker

Apr 26, 2001
    brooklyn, ny
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    I wouldn't take too much from that. I was lucky enough to be at the game. It was good, clean, hard-hitting hockey (even in the stands!).The Devils are playing very well since Elias returned. We lace 'em up again, and it'd be 3-0 Flyers. You're still quality (hell, the season's only half over) You're better than Carolina, certainly better than the Rangers.

10. hiddi

hiddi Member

Jul 23, 2005
    philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Oh no worries on the season after over one loss especially on what has been a long road trip with injuries but has still remained very successful. But it's the devils. It always hurts to lose to the devils and rangers no matter what :D I love hearing the Zus chants though on away games.

11. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Last night blew and Rathje was horrible. Therien was his usual crappy self as well. I have found a favorites in Ben Eager and Freddy Meyer though.

12. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    did anyone see why Thornton got penalized? What a load of crap....it was a clean hit. Stupid home bias referee. Anyways, they got a good pounding (sorry 11Best)

13. chelsea new yorker

Apr 26, 2001
    brooklyn, ny
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    A major, yes....but ejection.....analogous to getting a yellow vs. a red.

To Eddie: have special family bias to anyone who participated in US NTDP, as Jason did so for two years- two years after Meyer did. My sister and bro-in-law were behind he effort to block the program from leaving Ann Arbor and going to Lake Placid - where the only thing to do at night would have been to get drunk. Plus, they competed academically in high sdchool with the fac brats from Michigan and Eastern Michigan, considerably better than the upstate NY sweathogs (why izzit that everyone in upstate NY is married to their first cousin? it's West Virginia with slightly fewer tatoos oin the women)

14. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair it was a hit from behind, and not clean....but certainly not game misconduct kind of stuff.

I just cannot live this trade down. The only thing making us a bad team when we had Thornton were defense, injuries and chemistry issues. None of this was solved with that trade, and now I have to see Zhamnov try to impersonate a top line center. Shoot me.

15. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    i agree. 5 minute major would have been fair.

16. chelsea new yorker

Apr 26, 2001
    brooklyn, ny
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    What is it with Boston? Jeremy Jacobs must be the WORST owner in all of sports. When anyone gets good, and asks for rightful compensation, he gets shipped out. I lived there for 17 years, and I still could never figure it out. Last time they hoisted the Cup was the early 70s, then a four-game rubout by the Oilers in 89. Bruins fans don't deserve this, but they get lousy treatment anyway. Maybve if they voted with their wallets, but hockey's too popular there......

17. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    what do yall think bout Ovechkin from washington? I havent seen a game of the caps until tonight, and he is absolutely tearing it up versus dallas. ya, he scored a sick goal, but his stickhandling and ability to get shots on goal remind me alot of kovulchuk..

[​IMG]

18. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    He's Russian, what do you expect? ;)

But yeah, he has been awesome this year.

19. chelsea new yorker

Apr 26, 2001
    brooklyn, ny
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    He's quality - then again, his mom won two gold medals in basketball for the CCCP - and didn't his father play football for Dynamo Moskva? He's also big enough so that if you want to play the body on him, he can and will mix it up.....

20. hiddi

hiddi Member

Jul 23, 2005
    philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    watched Ovechkin the other night against the flyers and he played real well in my opinion.

21. Forza Moskva

Forza Moskva New Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Mila Kunis' Crib
    Two of the top 3 snipers in the NHL are Russians. Eat it stupid Eddie, :p

Ovechkin and Kovalchuk are BEASTS

22. Forza Moskva

Forza Moskva New Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Mila Kunis' Crib
    Ovechkin himself played hockey for Dinamo Moskva.

23. chelsea new yorker

Apr 26, 2001
    brooklyn, ny
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    as they say in English (I'm sure in any language) 'Like father, like son"
    Pa-russky: "kak otets, kak cina?"

24. Forza Moskva

Forza Moskva New Member

Sep 20, 2004