OT: NHL Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea Off Topic Threads' started by Eddie26, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I wanted to start a thread to talk about all things NHL. Clan ok'd it. I know myself, Yasik and others are NHL fans and this could give us somewhere to discuss.

Did anyone else see Roenick's comment about not making the USA national team for the Olympics?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2252497

You know what Jeremy, shut the f--k up. You have 11pts in 27 games for the LA Kings. This isn't 10 years ago when you were unstoppable in NHL 94. You don't deserve to start at center for the US. There are plenty of others better than you (off the top of my head!):
    Mike Modano
    Jason Blake
    Chris Drury
    Scott Gomez
    Doug Weight
    David Legwand

2. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Re: OT: NHL Thread (ok'd by Clan)

i totally agree with Eddie here. Roenick is not exactly the same player that he was with Chicago or Phoenix. And even if Modano is not the same player as he was before, i'd take him Mike over Jeremy any day. With that said, i still support Russia when it comes to Olympics or World Hockey Championship. :eek:

3. JoshDB

JoshDB New Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Washington State
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don't know whatcha all're talking about.

4. CanadaBlue

CanadaBlue Member

Chelsea
    Feb 2, 2005
    Redding, California
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

I'm not an avid hockey fan these days. Being Canadian, but growing up in England, meant I had to learn all about hockey when I was in high school. Never had a passion for the NHL game.
    I used to follow the Devils, being that I lived in NJ. So I HATE the Rangers.

5. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

What do you think about the Thornton trade? Big news. Not sure if I like it. The Sharks got a great player...but he's not a leader and he tends to look for the pass too often. He can rack up assists like crazy though but he tends to shrink in the playoffs. IE getting 0 points in a 7 game series against the Canadian's in 03/04. I love Brad Stuart and Marco Sturm. They're good players and they provide the kind of depth a team needs to win the Cup.

BTW, Russia sucks. You guys have no shot. Pavel Datsyuk is a nice player but not world class.

6. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City

Have you seen our last 4 games? We have been incredible. The partnership of Marleau and Thornton has been great. With Joe's skills and power, and Patrick's speed and finesse, we have bben destroying the opposition (watch out Carolina tonight). And actually, i think Joe will be a great leader for us b/c we have so many young players on the team. Also, it helps when you have a cousin playing right next to you. It eases the ackward feeling that new players have around new guys.
    As for the trade. it's too early to tell. Sturm and Stuart, and Primeau are all good players, so we have to see who this trade benefited more. Now, we have a "star" on our team. If we can get to the playoffs, i'll be happy.
    My favorite shark.....Kyle Mclaren...j/k, i just love his hip checks.

Sad, but true. Russia is like Roenick, a shadow of their former self.
    Nevertheless, i still support them. Plus, it's not like they break chairs and wreak havoc in hotel rooms. :p :D

7. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003

ahem, that is Captain Mike Modano of the USA hockey team. :D

hockey night in canada tonight.. Stars/Leafs... cant wait! :cool:

8. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City

Sorry, but I don't exactly cheer for Dallas, in any sport. However, i respect Modano....sorry....Captain Modano a lot.

9. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite

Hmmmmmmm.
    No one OK'd this thread with me!!

But I'll let it go, on the condition that we all agree that the Red Wings rule.

You may carry on.

10. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

Red Wings suck octopus dong. Seriously.

11. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

Is hockey night in Canada not the greatest thing? It's a real shame that the only way you get HNIC is with NHL Center Ice. Though if you're a Comcast subscriber, you get up to 2 games a night to watch for free online. It's f'n sweet. I watched the Canucks-Sens game last night and the Flyers-Wild game today (which was extra sweet since I am in NYC and they don't get the Flyers games here).

12. JoshDB

JoshDB New Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Washington State
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Do Octopii have a dong to speak of? :confused:

All I know about NHL is I own EA's crappy games of it.

13. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

I hate Dallas more than anyone else on these boards I'm sure. However, Modano is American so he's alright with me as well.

Yasik, you were born here right? I am kind of curious as to why you still support Russia. I mean my grandparents are off the boat from Italy and my other family is from England and I watch those two teams, but I cheer for the red, white and blue.

14. TxTechGooner

Feb 24, 2003

pourqoi?

15. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City

Eddie, i came here when i was 13. I was born in Soviet Union, though geographically, it's Ukraine now. Russia just happened to have most players that played for USSR or to be more precise CSKA, the best hockey team ever. Thus, my affiliation to Russian hockey. Plus, if you look at most (90%) of NHL Russian all-star players, like Bure, Fedorov, Makarov, Larionov, Fetisov, Mogilny, they all played for Russia/USSR. I'm sure Nice loves Red Wings for the fact that they had most Russian players in them. Basically, 99% of all former USSR players who ended up playing in NHL either played for CSKA, Dinamo Moscow, or Krylia Sovetov, those 3 Russian teams.

So, as of now, i have officially spent 50% of my life here and 50% in USSR/Ukraine.

16. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Huge hockey and Bruins fans here....the trade pissed me off. Thornton is the second best in the NHL over the past 5 years in Points per game, so he wasnt a good leader...who made him captain? It could have been someone else. you do not give up a player that talented, entering his prime, for a good winger, and a good defenseman.

As for Roenick, see my comments here....douchebag(Roenick that is).

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276373

The USA hockey team will not be a big threat this year, medaling will be an accomplishment, it is time to rebuild. We have al ot of the talented veterans who have carried us for years(our best group ever, like Modano, Guerin, Weight, Leetch, Leclair, Tkachuk, etc), but no tmany great mid age players int heir late 20s. We do however have a quite a bit of talent in the youth department, and a few years from now will be a force.

Best players in the NHL?
    Center-Forsberg, still
    Left Wing-Kovalchuk-most dynamic player in the league
    Right wing-Heatley, to me, he is hockey.
    D-Chara(Lidstrom still gets a mention...Phaneuf as of 2006-2007)
    G-Give me Hasek, still.

17. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City

DERIAN HATCHER

18. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City

:p :p

19. TxTechGooner

Feb 24, 2003

yas, you on the other hand, have every reason to hate dallas~

:D

cant believe we are doing so well this year.

20. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

laugh it up. Im glad to see Big Joe is doing well with his new team, he is a class guy, and a great player...will be a favorite of mine till the end.

21. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

I'm from Philly. The Cowboys are the tool of the devil.

22. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

See I think NHL 06 is the best yet. It's WAY better than NHL 2k6 I think. The Nashville Predators rules in that game.

23. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

Got it. I always assumed that you were born here and that your parents hadn't. Makes sense. I wasn't alive but I love the fact that Bobby Clarke hates Russian players (to the point where he refuses to have them on his teams) and that he broke Karlamov's (sp) ankle during the Russian tour. God bless that man. (Sorry I'm not young enough to not remember the Cold War! Plus I hate Darius Kasparitus.)

24. JoshDB

JoshDB New Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Washington State
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I didn't like the rubber-band AI. At the start, you could pretty easilly score and get 2 to 3-0 up, but then they would just dominate you, and their goalie became unbeatable.

25. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002

That was because it didn't have to be ;)