OT: London Residence

Discussion in 'Chelsea Off Topic Threads' started by nicephoras, Dec 10, 2005.

1. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Well, we've had a preponderance of OT threads recently. First Eddie needed our advice on jobs, then he wanted to talk about how awesome the Red Wings are (very). So now I have an OT question:

Where should I live in London? I am, at some point, going to have to start looking for an apartment (errr, sorry, "flat"), since I'm arriving in mid-January to finally provide all those ugly English women with something they've not seen since the Viking invasions - a heterosexual man.
    However, this does raise a dilemma - where should I live? I've heard some suggestions (Islignton, Mayfair, Chelsea, etc.). However, given that I'm going to be working in Canary Wharf (ugh), I'm also trying to think about convenience. As nice as it'd be to simply walk to the Bridge, I'd rather not spend an hour and a half every day on the worst air conditioned public transport system in the world.
    So, what say you, any suggestions? And no, Roman's yacht is all full. :(

Oh, I'm happy to say that I have NOT cleared this OT thread with Clan. :p

2. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    we are not worthy...

3. qazwsx

qazwsx New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Australia
    Your a lawyer, just dream up a fancy lawsuit to get in :p

4. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Damn right. That's why I'm not living in your neighborhood. :D :p

5. JoshDB

JoshDB New Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Washington State
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need a subforum for this kinda stuff. :d

6. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    You know - thats not a bad idea.

I'll pop off a PM to GPK, see if he'll set it up for us.

7. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I dunno if we need to go that far - we've had what, 3 threads OT in the past 6 months? I think we can live with that. I won't object, of course.

EDIT: So long as we keep the thread names normal. :rolleyes:

8. JoshDB

JoshDB New Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Washington State
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweet. I don't want to have to get my stupidity approved. :D

9. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    I dunno all the places you list are inner london and pretty pricey. Not to mention crime riden. You might be better off living in the burbs and comuting in.

10. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Chelsea, Mayfair are somewhat pricey - steer clear of the "crime free" burbs. . .I like Battersea, Clapham and Fulham, but then of course that is where me mates and family live...The Bush has nice bars, etc, if you want that antopidean feel, Brixton has great pubs and night life, but you couldn't handle it, they'd eat you alive - so much for your "invasion" ;)

but if you're working at canary...maybe you should try somewhere like the "historical" Deptford or Bermondsey or whitechapel - greenwhich or blackheath might be more your cup of tea?

if you lived in Bromley-by-Bow you could see how eddies team were doing ;)

11. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I will never live that down will I?? :D

Good luck Nice, lucky bastard.

12. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    I never said they were crime free... you don't have to be an ass ALL the time BM :)

13. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Ah bless

<o ="">:p</o>

Put it this way Nice, move to the burbs and you’ll have people like Dave as your neighbour :D

I like cities, I like being able to walk to bars, restaraunts, shops, antique markets, galleries, theatres, etc

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/areas/bermondsey.html

the new "Hoxton" or is that too trendy for you? ;)
    Robert De Niro is moving there btw

close to your work, but not too close - who wants to live in a high rise building with all the other eejits that you are going to be working with eh?
    Good transport - around the country, the coast, even France and Johnny Foreigner on the continent - lots of history in the hood

14. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I'm not too worried about the pricey aspect. But burbs? :confused: :eek: I'm only going to be in London for so long, and you want me to live in the burbs? :eek:
    That's like working in NYC for a year and living in Jersey!

15. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    As do I.

Thanks - I'll take a look there. :)

16. razorman

razorman New Member

Aug 7, 2005
    London
    I wonder what a New Yorker like nice is going to make of our biggest 'skyscraper' Canary Wharf :D

17. razorman

razorman New Member

Aug 7, 2005
    London
    BTW, an oil depot blew up today in an accident and sent a huge cloud of smoke floating all over South East England - an impending sign of nice's 'invasion'?!

[​IMG]

18. gazza

gazza Member

Dec 15, 2004
    I stayed a good part of summer a couple years back in Chiswick. It was with a friend of mines family and they were saying how a lot of younger professionals were buying up all the houses in the neighborhood. We also went to Richmond (I think) alot, seemed pretty pricey though.

19. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Announcing my arrival I guess, since I get in Tuesday morning for a week. :eek: :eek:

20. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm, I've only been to Canary Wharf once, but it seemed like there were lots of new apartment buildings right there, so i'd start looking there. You might want to stay there for a few nights on your trip and get a feel for the area. If you want to avoid commuting on the Tube, the Docklands Light Rail services that area and is mercifully above ground. In my opinion its much more pleasant than the Tube, so any areas along the DLR lines might be worth looking at. I've never been to Greenwich, but for some reason it sounds appealing and is only on the other side of the river from Canary Wharf. Good luck.

21. n4100

n4100 Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Philadelphia
    I was going to second the Bermondsey area, or nearby, Canada Waters, the area there. Its not far off on the Jubilee line from Canary Wharf, and I actually crashed there for a month at a friend's place before moving over to Queen's Park. Nice place, central enough, but not overly crowded. Has some good pubs and a huge Tesco is nearby to do shopping at.

22. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    right here ;)

i'll come and visit.

23. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Hotel living isn't fun, even if that location can't be beat.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

24. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    You can and live with me in blackheath nice.

It'll be the original odd couple. You, the get up and go international lawyer and me, the lazy arse philosophy student.

25. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    If you stare into that long enough you can see nice's grinning face..... :D