OT England, Old Times and Candy

Discussion in 'NASL' started by Zoidberg, Nov 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Why not Honolulu.:D

2. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    falvo repped this.
  3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You said. Kind of like the British selling soap and cleaning products on American TV ads.

Zoidberg repped this.
  4. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Scientific studies show that the average Yank gives more respect/credence to a product because of the accent. Doesn't matter if it is the same, better or worse than other products. What a joke.

Sums up English soccer here 1000% ... to quote our moron JK.

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  6. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you know the old Continental Basketball Association had a team in Hawaii & Alaska one season?

7. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I have a British friend that has gotten out of DUIs before because of his accent. Unbelievable. I always try to make a point of hating on England when I am around him just to serve as a counterweight to all the American Anglophilia.

KidFlash, Matthew Johnson and Zoidberg repped this.
  8. amancalledmikey

Oct 27, 2003
    I have a bindle at this point...
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Being English in the US is like being Irish everywhere else. And don't worry, most of the country hates the US. I've received a lot of nastiness from fellow Brits for liking American things. Not chocolate though, that stuff is so vile, Kraft had to buy Cadbury's so they could ruin that too.

Duke Kickass repped this.
  9. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    I think there are more than enough kids into soccer now, even top athletes.

It's the casual day to day knowledge that isn't passed along?engrained early enough.

My neighbor's kid is a top athlete. Baseball, basketball...you name it. His dad was Little Leage WS organizer. Never a pro, but he was engulfed in the game, like most of our parents. They can teach high level nuances to their kids at a young age. His son fell in love with soccer in HS four years ago. I watches him play a few times and it actually made me sad.To see how far he came in four years was unreal. Still, he was so limited mentally, and the nuances weren't engrained by a parent early on, that he was strictly a self learner with some OK coaching. That kid, being taught early on by a parent, even with mediocre coaching could have gotten a scholarship. That is what has to change.

Think of Claudo Reyna, Tab, Windeschminn. Perez, more modern version Pulisic....they were all taught at the earliest ages by competent parents. Are best, most natural players over the year have almost all had that type of mentoring.

For me, that is the biggest issue. In NYC plenty knew the game well. More than enough immigrants, many who even played some pro ball...my dad had Bliga time before he snapped his leg. We were taught early on and we destroyed all the suburban football player type teams. In the suburbs it just isn't there yet, and probably won't be for a couple of decades. That is when the world better watch out.

Time may change me, but I can't trace time.

10. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I avoided a ticket for not stopping at a all-way because of my English accent. I played up the whole tourist thing, even though I'd been in the US for about 5 years.

It did help that I was lost on the streets of South Chicago at the time and I think the cop wanted to get me out of there as quickly as possible for my own safety.

Generally having an English accent helps you get away with a lot. If you insult Americans they're not quite sure if you're serious or it's that crazy British sense of humor.

My old CEO used to say that having an English accent got you 5% more credibility in New York and 15% more credibility everywhere else.

It works the other way around too. I was at a conference where Steve Balmer, Tim Cook and Bill Joy spoke to a spellbound audience, then some Brit came on and everyone started checking their Palm Pilots (it was a while ago) or went outside for a smoke.

Er...which forum is this?

barroldinho repped this.
  11. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, how come they don't sell Mars bars in the States? M&Ms were crafted on your side of the pond as a result of modifying the Spanish version of Smarties.

Stupid question, but we kinda need to go off-topic just a little bit to kill time until everything really goes bonkers.

12. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  13. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

The Mars bar first introduced in Britain in the 1930s was a copy of the U.S. Milky Way bar made by Mars, Inc starting in the 1920s. The original Milky Way bar was the first big hit for the Mars Company. For some reason they called it a Mars bar in the U.K. instead of Milky Way. We later got a different Mars bar in the U.S. but only the name was the same. In the 1990s they actually changed the recipe for the British Mars bar to be almost exactly what used to be in a Milky Way but they also changed the U.S. Milky Way at the same time. There is also an international Milky Way bar but it is like what is sold in the U.S. as Three Musketeers bar.

The whole Mars thing gets complicated by the father and son that were running similar businesses in the U.S. and Canada. Frank Mars started the company in the U.S. and then his son Forrest Mars started a branch of the company in the U.K. They traded products and names back and forth but usually with different names or contents.

barroldinho and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  14. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Forrest got kicked out of the country by Frank and Forrest used the recipes to create his own version of the Mars company.

So... we're eating Mars bars here, but they are Milky Ways?

15. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $2.50 in New York City in Tal Bagels and Barzinis on the Upper West-Side of Manhattan. along with Aeros, Lion Bars and Flakes.

Warning: eating a Cadbury's Flake can lead to sexual fantasies involving horses,

16. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Candy I'm upset we don't get all the crazy flavored Kit Kats that Japan does. Damn you, Hershey! They licensed it from a U.K. company and just sit on the same old boring milk chocolate.

TheJoeGreene and The Franchise repped this.
  17. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tangent: at the Jonestown Massacre, they actually used Flavor Aid.

18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See, I love this. Someone else who knew this completely random, tragic fact that is responsible for one of the most common phrases in the language, yet is a complete misnomer.

Antique, barroldinho, stphnsn and 4 others repped this.
  19. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Do you know the name of the hill the Battle of Bunker Hill was fought on?

song219 repped this.
  20. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's an easy one, but then I'm a history teacher from the Boston area.

---

We drive on parkways and park on driveways.

It's a crazy world.

Zoidberg repped this.
  21. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Catherwood: You may wait here in the sitting room or you can sit here in the waiting room

The Irish Rover and Zoidberg repped this.
  22. Mr Wonderful

Mr Wonderful Member

Jan 19, 2015
    The Shores of Puget Sound
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    #22 Mr Wonderful, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    Breed's.

Didn't have to look it up. Knowing your history is important. (Not that Breed's vs. Bunker is anything more than historical trivia, but knowing your history is important.)

23. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Oh yeah....where does the term 3 square meals a day come from? I live near Boston, Cohasset, amd when I moved here several years ago I was shocked at how few people knew that one. It's why it always sticks in my head.

They do know that Robin Williams taught at Bunker Hill Community College in that Damon movie....how bout them apples. Sigh.

24. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    The Breed's Hill one....not the three squares, but as Boston was a seafaring town perhaps some might know that one also.