Osvaldo Ardiles of Argentina

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Olo2317, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Olo2317

Olo2317 Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

PDG1978 repped this.
  2. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Arguably the best center mid in Argentine history. Extremely underrated because he didn't play for a big European side.

3. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Great player. I'd struggle to see how he didn't play for a big club in Europe.

He played for one of the biggest teams in England at a time when the league was probably the best in Europe and provided 7 out of 8 European Cup winners. He won two FA Cups at a time when it was virtually as big a trophy as the league, won the UEFA Cup and got to the semi-finals of the Cup Winners Cup.

Given the era I don't think his reputation would have been significantly enhanced had he played for any team other than Liverpool or potentially Juventus.

4. Dearman

Dearman Member

Argentina
    Feb 24, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Thailand
    It is strange that his international appearances list is difficult to find. Rsssf did not create Argentina's international match line-up history (although other big nations are available). I just find his appearances list of world cup on FIFA Statistics and Copa America in rsssf but not found his minor tournaments appearances as I see the minor competitions were existed in his time.