OSI “Pro Sock With Stripes

Discussion in 'Referee' started by GearRef, Jan 10, 2018.

1. GearRef

GearRef Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Jan 2, 2018
    La Grange Park, Illinois
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just received my OSI order of two pairs of the Italian sock and the Pro Sock with stripes. The Italian ones look nice, high quality, but the Pro Sock is appalling. It is the thickest sock ever, and the quality of the stripes is poor, disappointed with the quality of the whole sock overall. Couldn’t imagine running around in this for 90 min. unless it was 40 degrees or lower in which case the thickness of the fabric would keep me warm. Looks nothing like the pic on the website and I will be returning them. Has anyone else gotten this sock before? Did I just get a dud?

2. Cornbred Ref

Cornbred Ref Member

Arsenal
    Jan 3, 2018
    Omaha
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just out of curiosity, I thought USSF was dealing away with the three stripe sock? I guess I should ask: are you using this for USSF games or something else?

3. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree about the OSI Pro socks. They are very thick, that's why I buy the economy socks. The quality is about the same as the pro sock, maybe a bit lower, but it's thinner and they last a lot longer. The only place where I can find them on sale is epic sports.

4. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    This reminds me of the second miracle that occurred at our Georgia HS recert -- we're now allowed to wear the 2-stripe socks!

voiceoflg repped this.
  5. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    I think the two stripe is all they put in marketing materials and the three stripe is not yet banned. Wink wink, nudge nudge.

6. timtheref

timtheref Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Lots of high school guys in my area use 3 stripe and we all have to match. When I was still in Ohio, it was 3 stripe only. That said, when I lived in Ohio I freakin loved those OSI super thick pro socks. Because when you're doing multiple games a day in sub 30 weather, those things were amazing for keeping me warm. Yeah, they're lousy on a 90 degree day, but if you live in a cold climate those things can be a life saver.

Dayton Ref and Law5 repped this.
  7. GearRef

GearRef Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Jan 2, 2018
    La Grange Park, Illinois
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AYSO still uses three stripe, but I’m not buying another ten Score jerseys just for AYSO so I may as well just suit up in OSI. I have reffed in pretty cold weather, but my legs never really get cold, just my hands. Besides, I’d need bigger shoes to fit my feet plus socks comfortably.

8. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Fixed it for you.

Many AYSO regions are using up old stock (or getting great deals on distributor's old stock). Others are moving to the two stripe. And I suspect many don't particularly care.

9. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    My daughter called these socks "Dad's big fuzzies." I do wear them, but only in cooler weather, for high school and college games. Probably not getting any more big fuzzies, though.

10. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Now hopefully all my Georgia USSF assignors will let us use the two stripes. I have two that insist on the three stripes. That's fine in the February tournaments. Not so much for May.

11. Vinnydabody

Vinnydabody Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The AYSO store isn't hawking Score's new fancy two stripe socks yet but they have put the Agora three stripe socks on clearance-like prices ($3.95/$4.95 per pair for regular/pro) so I'm guessing the two stripes will start becoming more common come the fall.

funsoccer12 repped this.
  12. GearRef

GearRef Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Jan 2, 2018
    La Grange Park, Illinois
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet I'll show up actually in the three stripe which is the norm around where I ref AYSO games and my AR's will be in the two-stripe so I'll have to change. And yes I know it's only AYSO but I usually walk out with my crew and like looking as professional as possible. But at least I come prepared.

voiceoflg repped this.
  13. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    So that's where those thick fuzzy things in my drawer came from. I've had them forever. I like them for the really cold games too. One of my daughters says they look like giant caterpillars eating my legs.

14. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wear 3 stripe socks for high school and college.

15. andymoss

andymoss BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 4, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You need to order the Italian Sock. The same material and fit as the two-stripe sock.

Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  16. GearRef

GearRef Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Jan 2, 2018
    La Grange Park, Illinois
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bought two pairs of those as well so no issues.

17. JeffG

JeffG Member

Mar 9, 2005
    MN, USA
    Woo hoo!!! I go away for a while, come back and find another discussion about socks! I love this forum!:D

voiceoflg, Bubba Atlanta and roby repped this.
  18. RefLI

RefLI Member

Nov 4, 2013
    New York
    The Italian Sock is GARBAGE!! I go through two pairs per season and then they have to be thrown out and replaced due to holes in the heel, sole, etc. I wash my gear on delicate and always hang dry and still can't get them to last more than a single season. I've had better luck with the economy but it seems to fray near the ankle which looks kind of crappy but no holes so far. Can anyone recommend a solid three stripe sock without logos that looks good and is better quality than the crap that OSI is offering?

RespectTheGame repped this.
  19. Cornbred Ref

Cornbred Ref Member

Arsenal
    Jan 3, 2018
    Omaha
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm only one season in so I might not be the person to comment on this, but I sort of feel like, depending on the level of officiating you're doing, they shouldn't really last longer than that? I'm a bigger guy (5' 11 ~235 lb) and I went through two pairs of shorts and two pairs of socks after 240ish games. Some of the other refs I talk to in my area are buying at least a new pair of socks every season, some buying more since they do the number of games I am doing.

20. Schlager

Schlager Member

Dec 5, 2016

I use these from One Stop Soccer. They sell on Amazon too, but I can't get Amazon's website to work from my work computer. (luckily Big Soccer works!!).

They are reasonably thick and comfy, the only problem is that the stripe pattern is only on one side. So, if they you need to turn them down, you will need to wear them inside out, so that the stripes show on the outside once your fold them over. But, I just pull them straight up and they say up no problem.

21. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    Score #707, thin, modern construction, good price, King size available. Love 'em.
    7017 is the two stripe version.
    Better call them, the web site now indicates 707 is the 2-stripe. If you use the 3 stripes, you should stock up.

In danger of being a broken record, I wear thick wool socks under my ref socks. Hot or Cold weather. Always comfortable.

22. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I love the Italian sock. Even on hottest days I don't have a problem with them.

23. RespectTheGame

May 6, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Italian sock I get holes in the heel after a season. They don't last.

24. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    That hasn't been my experience, but I guess it depends on how many games you do and/or maybe some other shoe factor. The Italian socks last fine for me and I've never noticed the heel to be particularly fragile. They tend to fit snug in the calf (almost like a compression sock) and are essentially the only referee socks I use.

25. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    You're running wrong. I wear out socks in the ball of the foot, not in the heel.

I love sock threads (but not threadbare socks).

roby repped this.