Orlando City

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by RevHammerBat, May 28, 2013.

1. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston
    I haven't had much interaction with them or their fans....so I'm asking you guys to get some feedback. I want to like them because they seem to be the only chance of MLS coming to the southeast (which we desperately need)....but their fans that I've interacted with just seem way to arrogant for their own good. Something about them just rubs me the wrong way. You would think with the way most of them talk they've been around 20+ years, have won title after title (regular season and playoffs since that is how American sports work), and carries the USL on its back as if every USL club owes them something. All they've talked about from day one is "oh we belong in MLS" and then tonight they've scalped their first MLS side in the Open Cup and its "see we belong". I mean if scalping MLS teams gets you into the MLS.....I guess we should've been in years ago and every USL team...with the exception of Antigua....lol.

I'll admit they have come into this league guns blazing and there is no denying that....and yes they may be the most attended USL club....but if this is how they are in person as well....dare I say I hope they don't get a call up to MLS and forever be stuck in USL? Dare I say I hope Miami or Tampa Bay gets called back from the grave just to dent their hopes? Are they really that bad in person as they are on Facebook/Big Soccer? I really hope not....

2. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've had some personal interaction with them and they guys in the Ruckus and Iron Lion Firm and they were great to me. their have been a few that have come up to Charleston too and it was positive. That said, we had a couple random fans while we were visiting last year give us some crap but nothing more than your usual stick.

But yeah their are a ton "internet warriors" that come off as very arrogant and condescending.

3. fsufiji

fsufiji Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Auburndale FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it is a ton of bad apples who are internet warriors but we do have our fair share. We'll be coming up to visit on 5 July with a 61 seat bus full. In that group you will find great soccer supporters and a couple of jerks. From day one when Phil moved the team here he has talked about moving up to MLS. It is the team's mission and the supporters have taken that as a marching order. In comparison with USL teams, we have VSI Tampa Bay down the road (50 miles), they can't get an article in the weekly paper and draw 400 fans. That is what we compare ourselves with in our very short history. We see LA get 200 fans and several other older teams seem to fall apart after their efforts to move up or even grow falter. We don't want to fail and then get sent to a H.S. stadium in south Orlando. Anyway, as you know, the age of the internet and social media has allowed a very few guys to swamp everyone with their opinions and nasty comments. That, of course, never happens on Big Soccer.

WorldGame and Mikey mouse repped this.
  4. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando
    I've seen some nimrods from the OC side of things, so sure, we have our share. But the main thing is that all of this has happened rather quickly. It's my opinion that lots of supporters and fans (perhaps most) at least realize or remember that the organization Rawlins brought to Orlando from Austin was an intact, good-quality D2 club, and so lots of those supporters/fans know that OC had/have a bit of an advantage over some of the D3 clubs. But of course, what are we going to do, cheer 12% less since the scales weren't exactly "fair" at the outset? And we also realize we have the added horsepower of our affiliation with SKC, but I do think most of us deeply appreciate the fact that it's mostly Manager Heath's tactics and gameplanning that have been the difference since Day 1. He has us playing an excellent brand of ball and the organization is giving him the tools to play it. Look no further than the match away to SKC a few nights ago for an example.

I'd hope other clubs look past the usual dopes that tend to tarnish things a bit. You'll find a great many wonderful people who love the game and our club and who for maybe the first time ever in this city have something authentic and real and growing up from its own roots, instead of something plastic and super-imposed like the theme parks we've lived near for almost half a century (to say nothing of a pro basketball franchise owned by... Amway). So there's lots of people down here who, while we're having a ton of fun for 2 1/2 years so far, do also realize how quickly all of this has happened. If we weren't so busy pulling for the club and having a blast at every home match, we'd probably have a few extra moments to stop and check ourselves and make sure we're not drifting into spoiled-ness and a sense of entitlement. Similar to what fsufiji mentioned, there's a big chunk of us who all too clearly remember that it was very recently the sum total of our local pro soccer realm consisted of a USL PDL club playing at a high school in Winter Park (which was a lot of fun, by the way). And for my own 2-cents, I can still just barely remember being a little kid in Tampa in the mid-70's when one day my Dad was taking us to see Pele and his Cosmos play against the original Rowdies---and a short time later the whole parade was gone. In Orlando right now, there's a subtle "don't forget to smell the roses along the way" sense while the club is progressing quickly, balanced by the American soccer fan's ever-present fear that the rug could get pulled out any second with no warning.

fsufiji repped this.
  5. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston
    I hope no offense was taken when I wrote that. Aside from you two there have been maybe two other people I've come across that have been decent and not as aggressive towards someone who hasn't been on board from day 1 of your club. Naturally, as long as you guys are in USL I can never cheer for you guys....but if and when you guys get to MLS I was going to consider it because it was the closest team to my Battery although I originally have gone for the Revs because my family roots for anything and everything Boston.

However....

Interaction with some of the fans and seeing how you guys treat the product you're in now turned me off in a big way to where I would cheer for DC United before I would cheer for you and I hate everything there is to hate about DC...lol. Granted I don't live in Charleston anymore and haven't since you came into the league (left when you were moved from Austin) so I've never been able to interact person to person with any supporters but I'm kind of glad I haven't. The most you might get out of me if I happen to be there for the Orlando/Charleston game this year (which I'm trying to go to but things are up in the air atm) at the tailgate would be a smile...if that. Ask Mikey...I'm not a standoffish person but I wouldn't go out of my way to be friendly and probably wouldn't have more than a 2 minute conversation with all 61 one of you combined. I know every club has their "hooligans" (and I could probably be considered one of the Battery ones DURING matches) but I haven't seen anything but that and I wish I would but I'm starting to think that my first impression of this club was right.....that it's going to be the Millwall of the MLS and nothing good will come from them. I don't want to be right but I haven't seen anything to tell me different.

6. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando
    No offense taken here, but I am sorry you've had this less-than-pleasant situation. Funny thing is, when I first read the OP last weekend, I could think of just a few cases where the sort of thing you describe has happened and what was feeding into. But good heavens, jump ahead to today and various outlets such as prosoccertalk, mls.com, sbi, etc., seemingly have OrlandoCity stories no fewer than a couple of times a day. And that was before a recent one contained "news" that Kaka' was likely to join OCSC in 2015 after OC have joined MLS! It makes me wonder how many OC fans (whether in Orlando or anyway else) are already getting spoiled by all of this attention for what is still not much more than a very good D-3 club with tons of aspirations. I confess all the news is great fun for a fan here in Orlando, but still, the original point of this thread is more relevant now than a week ago. I think most OC fans are still level-headed about everything that's happened so quickly, but the fringes could unwind quickly and it'd be a shame if OC wound up with the reputation for snotty, doltish fans like some NFL or NBA teams are known for.

7. Quick25

Quick25 Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen nothing but positive interactions in person at tailgates before matches and such between our teams' fans. I definitely appreciated the Charleston supporters who made the trip down last year and tailgated with the Ruckus; nice people. I guess we'll see how the trip some supporters are taking up to Charleston goes this year.

I think there's a lot of pride amongst OCSC's supporters and that may not always come across particularly well on the internet.

8. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston
    Don't know if he's being serious or not but you can never take things too lightly on the internet these days. This is why its hard to get behind you guys....lol...case in point from Facebook today:
    Ryan Curchy
    Number 10 on Charleston. That was the gayest fake face punch I've seen since Lebron James in the finals. Changed the whole game, hope the card is rebuked and he himself ineligible for Thursday. I hope I get a chance to really punch him in the face Thursday night out in O-Town.

9. fsufiji

fsufiji Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Auburndale FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure he is blowing off steam. There was the fake punch and you had a player break Brian Burke's leg. The supporters should have been ready to rumble after the game, but you know that didn't happen. I thought Falvey had the dirty tackle. After the game all your players were on the field and I got to talk to Colin about it. He is a tough fellow but easy to talk to and he said he didn't do it. When the lights went out for the fireworks all 70 of the Orlando supporters were on the field. Several of us were very much into our cups. The Battery players were completely vulnerable to any kind of attack or abuse. You know what happened? We enjoyed the light show together and talked about soccer in america. My point is while we must take threats seriously, I think most of us like the drinking club atmosphere of the supporters culture and yelling from the stands but I think we can protect (like the security or the team itself wouldn't?) visiting players from anyone who might take action on these internet threats. Both Wilmington's Port City Firm and your Regiment treated us great. I think our numbers and enthusiasm may have taken the groups by surprise. The dad who was very upset with us for beating our drum through the announcement about his lost son (who was found quickly) will never be a fan of ours but I think some of your fans liked the energy we brought to the Baus. I hope some of you get a chance to visit us in Orlando so we can repay the kindness.

10. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was sitting next to a couple of the team owners and they were impressed with your energy and how organized you were with your drums and chants.

11. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston
    That first part is exactly why I feel you guys will be the Millwall of MLS (providing you get there) and why it's so hard to get behind you guys. From the way he was "talking" he wasn't there so who knows what will happen Thursday if anything but I can only hope nothing comes of it. You guys are a lot bigger of a city than we are so I'm not THAT surprised by your numbers that you should have...lol. Like I've said before....I want to like you guys and get behind you and become a fan when and if you get to MLS (will never be a fan of you while you are in USL)....but the more I follow you guys the more I keep getting sold on staying with the Revs as my MLS team. I know my decision of fandom matters none but as you have taken interest in my posts I figured I would "vent" my frustrations with your club.

fsufiji repped this.
  12. CorbinSC

CorbinSC Member

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll admit I have a slight bias against Orlando City, but only because I'm a little jealous. I don't like that from the first day in the USL they've been planning to go to MLS, kinda like a stepping-stone. (Although that's worked well for other teams, so maybe forget what I said.) But like I said, I'm just jealous that they might be joining MLS while we can't because of the market size. Too bad it isn't based on success or stability.

But if OC eventually joins MLS, I'll probably root for them as they'd be the closest team. Right now that's DC probably....but I hate them so that can't happen haha.

I was at the game in Charleston where a lot of OC supporters came up and all the ones I met were great! I thought the drums and chants were awesome too. I talked with one guy before the game about our mutual hatred of the Florida Gators, and finally I thought it was pretty cool how the players came over during the tailgate to thank y'all from coming out.

13. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can't watch the game on USL LIve between all the buffering and the announcers trying to be funny and not calling the game. Are they auditioning for a morning radio gig?

RevHammerBat and Mikey mouse repped this.
  14. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't have buffering at Molly Darcy's but their schtik gets old really quick. I don't need badly done South Park impressions or obscure references to 80s radio hits.

Thing is they both have a good voice and if would stick to call the game they would be pretty good.

tbitm and RevHammerBat repped this.
  15. fsufiji

fsufiji Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Auburndale FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone coming down for the Semi-final??? It is Friday because of the SEAC-MEAC game Sunday (US Football). Come on over to the tailgate.

16. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there are are a few of us making the trip right now, probably less than a dozen. Shame it wasn't on Saturday as we likely would have had a bus full.

But we would be happy to join you guys for some grub and beers at your tailgate.

Same spot as usual?

17. fsufiji

fsufiji Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Auburndale FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, same spot in Lot 11. The FAMU football opener is Sunday so Our game is on Friday.

18. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks shame about the football.

19. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PS. what the ruling on banners and flags coming in by visiting supporter groups? who should I contact?

20. fsufiji

fsufiji Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Auburndale FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you have a dozen folks you should contact Alex Wolf and ask for them to open the visiting supporters section for you. Flags and banners are alright just no profanity etc. (407) 478-4007

21. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks will speak to him tomorrow!

Erik S repped this.
  22. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Judging from what I've watched online.....pyrotechnics is strongly encouraged! :D

Mikey mouse repped this.