Orlando City S.C. - What do we call the supporters?

Discussion in 'Supporters Group' started by AdamSoucie, Oct 25, 2010.

1. FLSoccerGran

FLSoccerGran BigSoccer Supporter

Liverpool
    United States
    Feb 2, 2005
    Poinciana, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe I suggested that back in early Novenber, and I still like it!

2. FijiUnited

FijiUnited Member+

Feb 21, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about The Orlando People's Front?

3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Den over Pride. Pride has a lot of other connotations. Least of which is Disney, you don't want that.

The Three Lions for a nickname doesn't seem to far fetch.

4. Kickballer

Kickballer Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Orlando,Fl
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    haha, I thought the same thing about Pride.
    how about this zinger: "City Soccer, the Pride of Orlando."

5. teamAOK

teamAOK New Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Clermont, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    Trinidad and Tobago
    I like it, I LIKE IT!

6. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I made a userbox on Wikipedia, for those who edit it, to show support for Orlando City.

Ours is actually the first custom userbox for any sub-MLS US soccer team. The generic one wasn't even colored yet, so I had to edit it with our colors. :p

7. FLSoccerGran

Liverpool
    United States
    Feb 2, 2005
    Poinciana, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent!

8. fsufiji

fsufiji Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Auburndale FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Three Lions" is the name of the Club Pub at the stadium for the Charleston Battery. City Pride is great for the supporters group and "The Den" is great for the section of the stadium (and the tailgate area). This will be great.

9. FLSoccerGran

Liverpool
    United States
    Feb 2, 2005
    Poinciana, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All sounds good to me! Can hardly wait for the season to start!

10. Papadop

Papadop Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Metro Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We at the Orlando City Supporters are completely open to the Lion or Three Lions references. We generally like the crest (I see it as a three-headed lion, which if you think about it, is really scarry).

We plan to stay with our current iconography because:

1. It cost some money (not millionaire money but some money) to produce and we had no idea the team was going to use an animal on it's crest.

2. It is based on our motto; City Til We Die!

3. The best supporters clubs have a healthy streak of independance (compare the Sons of Ben crest and colors to the Philadelphia Unions')

We always planned to change our icon each season to keep things fresh.
    I can already see our Reaper Dude riding a three-headed lion. Now that's scarry.

11. Papadop

Papadop Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Metro Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I try never to reply to myself but I was wondering...

Has someone suggested "The Roar"? I'm talking about the subject of this thread; What do we call the supporters?

The Roar on I-4?

Just throwing it out there.

12. FLSoccerGran

Liverpool
    United States
    Feb 2, 2005
    Poinciana, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not bad!!!!

13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It could work. How would you incorporate the Reaper in that?

I guess it could look more like this:

[​IMG]

14. teamAOK

teamAOK New Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Clermont, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    Trinidad and Tobago
    I honestly would prefer the (overall) supporters group not have a name that is tied heavily to the club's mascot/nickname. I personally liked the Reeves' Army name.

I also think that a "(insert name) on I-4" would be better for the likely dislike between the supporters/clubs. Also, afraid we're going to rely on this Lion theme WAY too much.

15. Papadop

Papadop Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Metro Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    teamAOK-

This was the issue I was addressing earlier. How much of the team's imagery do we adopt?

I brought up SoB because that's an outfit that does it's own thing and doesn't seem to worry about what the Union's owners and operators are thinking. Maybe the robot can shed a little light on this matter.

I like the lion thing. But I know the team is going to sell us all kinds of stuff with the three-headed lion on it. Soccer is a little different than say NBA Basketball. There is a difference between a "Fan" and a "Supporter" in in North American soccer.

I think one must ask, "What makes us in the supporters section different"?

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I am not the expert anymore, but I would say that the SoBs have a very good, working relationship with the Union FO. They are independent, but they listen to what the team wants and tries to accommodate.

For example, they knew the colors of the team before everyone else, but they had already planned to adopt the city colors, which are close to the what Union went with. So I guess to an outsider it might seem that they "did their own thing" but it was planned.

I kinda like the Reaper thing that Papadop and his fellas have come up with. Its different and shady. I don't see anything wrong with it. Maybe a Reaper-Lion with a purple scowl would work to bring it all together! ;)

17. Papadop

Papadop Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Metro Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Prime. We do exchange e-mails with team officials and Steve Donner was kind enough to speak at our last meeting. O.C.S.C. are a secretive bunch though. No one outside the F.O. knew what the colors were going to be and the three-headed lion crest caught us all off guard. We had to change some things on our website and the lady at the flag store was delighted that someone actually walked in and bought a purple banner! (said banner can be seen on the About Us page on our website).

The Reaper dude is just an illustration of our motto. It looks good on a flag. We'll see how that image develops and evolves.

We're hoping to have a close relationship with the team. We know there're pretty busy right now. The supporters section ticket prices are great.

So far, so good.

18. AdamSoucie

AdamSoucie New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta admit, the Reaper concept is growing on me. I'm not the biggest fan of that particular design (the red card comes across like a plastic drink cup b/c of the angle), but the explanation sold me.

As far as keeping things close to the vest from a FO standpoint, that won't usually be the case. As most of you that frequent this thread know, I used to be the leader of the supporters group. I'm not about to forget where I came from. I've always been as transparent as I can be in a given situation, and will continue that policy.

There reason we haven't been talking much lately is there isn't much to talk about. The holidays are a slow season with people travelling. As far as the crest is concerned, some of the staff weren't shown the crest until the day of the unveil. It was 100% about preventing leaks, no matter how good intentioned they might be.

19. Papadop

Papadop Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Metro Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Understood. And it does look like a drinking cup now that you mention it. Like I said, it will evolve.

We're just trying to set our group apart from you're average, "Go City!" fans. Nothing against them. We hope they have a great time and fill the lower bowl. But, like you Adam, we're extreme soccer fans. Supporters, if you will. Die-hard (and not affraid if it comes to that) fans. That's all.

Some interesting people have been checking in with us and we hope to have a good turn-out at our next pre-season supporters event (being planned as I write this).

20. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando
    Brief topic flashback: remember last fall when we kicked around the notion of "Pioneers"?

I wish we had tossed this into the mix: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG8tqEUTlvs&feature=related"]YouTube - Levi's - OPioneers! (Go Forth) Commercial[/ame]

I know I'm dragging the literary angle back into the chat. Occupation hazard. Chalk it up to the day job.

But either way, if we had worked this into a SG somehow (and I don't quite know what that would look like), it could have been heavy.

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently you guys are called the Ruckus. Did you know that?

22. Papadop

Papadop Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Metro Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. That was announced on February 16, 2011.

IMO, this was the best "Orlando" thread on BigSoccer. Kit designs, the name of the team, the crest and colors...it was all great fun but those issues would be and were settled by the owners. Naming the Supporters Group was something we, the supporters, had control over. That was the difference that made this thread special.

I am authorized to speak for the leadership of this Group. Every single suggestion was considered and debated at one time or another. We went back to several earlier suggestions. We came up with a few new names that weren't presented in this forum. All of them were good and all probably would have worked fine.

Here's how it the question "What do we call the supporters?" was answered:

To join the Orlando City Supporters, all one had to do was e-mail us and say, "I want join." One of our members dispensed with this formality and wrote simply, "I'll bring the ruckus for 90 minutes (PERIOD)" We told and retold that story at meetings. We all laughed but soon the word "ruckus" started to creep more and more into the conversations members were having with each other.

I suggested we call ourselves "The Ruckus" to some members in Seminole County and the next thing I know, I received a logo idea with the word "RUCKUS" on it. We had two planning meetings in early February and I showed those in attendance the logo. Everyone liked it (although some were a little luke-warm about it) the majority of members said "That's it".

It's like naming a child. You got nine months to review every name in the Baby Names book but eventually, time's up and you got to call that kid something.

If there are no objections...you can lock it up Prime.