Orlando City 2016 General News Thread

Discussion in 'Orlando City SC' started by BigData, Jan 7, 2016.

1. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Schedule is out!

http://www.orlandocitysc.com/schedule

I see Toronto and Montreal twice at home. NYFC and NYRB on the road twice. They did flip the west teams so we get to see Portland, Seattle and Dallas here in Orlando.

2. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Schedule now populated on Wikipedia.

The Revs are the other team we get at home twice, and the Union are the other team we get on the road twice. San Jose is the other West team that comes here.

3. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Thanks. My math was off, thinking that 10 +5 meant only two teams we played twice home and away. Forgot we only play 9 other East teams since we can't play ourselves. :)

4. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We also get Houston at home. Forgot that one, too. o_O

5. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    You know Deric Tyler has that game circled on the schedule.

6. FijiUnited

FijiUnited Member+

Feb 21, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may be able to get to NY for the 5/29 game. Hopefully there's a good contingent of supporters going up for it.

7. Leondecollao

Leondecollao Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    16 games on national tv!! Some teams are only on once or twice. Are we that much of a draw? Part of me wishes they know something we don't and we have one or two major signings coming our way.

FLSoccerGran repped this.
  8. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Kaka is.

9. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
  10. FijiUnited

FijiUnited Member+

Feb 21, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, David Bowie died yesterday. In the old days, we seemed to score whenever I played anything off Station to Station.

11. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Based on absolutely no insider information whatsoever, I am expecting to hear about a new assistant coach later this week or early next week.

I base my complete guess on the fact that in other sports a gathering such as a combine is often used as a vehicle to allow coaches looking for work to interface with several organizations at once. If I was looking for a job as an assistant coach, I'd want to be at the combine. Thus, I am taking a wild guess that Heath has narrowed the options this week and after the normal vetting process we should see a new coach within the next week.

12. Guy Everett

Guy Everett Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #12 Guy Everett, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    Trying to stay positive, but at this point the only thing I can say is this off season has been a complete failure at all levels for OCSC. For every positive step they made before their first season, it seems they are going in the opposite direction this off season. Now the final nail - stadium pushed to 2017 and losing the NCAA Women's finals for 2016. Trying to stay positive with the hope that something will change the downward trajecture, like a good signing......

At least we did have a couple corporate sponsors...Coke and JetBlue...not that will help us on the field this season....I guess the cold in Orlando is draining my spirits....

13. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Don't forget ZICO being named the official coconut water. :)

Guy Everett repped this.
  14. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does that mean Coke returns to the Citrus Bowl? Or do we have to wait for 2017 now? o_O

And child please, I've seen it snow here. Not just the dinky ocean effect snow after a cold front that doesn't even make it to the ground. I was frozen out of a car in snow at Colonial Plaza Mall on December 23, 1989.

15. Leondecollao

Leondecollao Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Quite a bit of hyperbole there IMO. I fully expect a couple of strong signings still to come, and let's not forget the team is working furiously to launch both a B squad and a NWSL team. This front office screams of ambition at every turn.

I personally always considered the plan to open the stadium with a couple of games to go in the season ridiculous and unnecessary. They would have had to move all season ticket holders throughout the season. It would have been a logistics nightmare. We were all excited to open the stadium this year but not sure what benefit we would see for it. I'd wager the FO is disappointed but excited to have the 3rd season start with tremendous buzz.

Yes, we lost the college cup but we are hosting the Copa America! We are only the third MLS team to start a women's team. We are not sitting still by any means.

From a business standpoint, those two sponsorships you mentioned are top-notch partnerships, we just seriously upgraded our local TV coverage, we will have Orlando City focused tv shows for the first time, etc.

Not sure how this off-season can be categorized as a failure......yes, the GM situation was a misstep but I think we still have tons of momentum. Perhaps I'm too optimistic....

fsufiji repped this.
  16. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    If you want to see some interesting but unsubstantiated comments about the stadium, head over to the reddit thread. A guy over there that says he's in the know claims the stadium won't be done until mid-2017 at the earliest. Then again, the guy has all his stadium seat numbers wrong, even though he's been corrected a few times. So I don't know what to think, but it is entertaining.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OCLions/comments/40sb2u/ocsc_new_stadium_opening_in_2017_all_of_2016_will/

17. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where the stadium is now, I have a feeling it should be ready in time for the 2017 season barring act of God.

18. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
  19. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since both are in Kansas now, its extremely doubtful.

21. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    We have about five years until the kid is ready to join an academy, that's plenty of time...

22. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wouldn't shock me if Alex Morgan were expecting after this season. Best time to do it would be during the time after the Olympics. Plenty of time to have a kid and recover before the next World Cup cycle if she chose to.

23. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Looking like the big get-together tonight will be an announcement of a new training facility, with an expansion option to potentially add a residential academy.

It's going to be part of a new "Sports District' in Lake Nona, and will be near the U.S. Tennis Association's new training facility.

The club will continue to improve Sylvan Lake Park. I think Phil implied that the Pride would train there going forward.

Guy Everett repped this.
  24. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    I didn't expect that. I love this, being about 10-15 minutes from where I work, though I don't guess I could hang around practice daily or anything...

25. Guy Everett

Guy Everett Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like as season ticket holders we get a free add on game on February 27th against some random Brazilian team :)

Being the first time we can see them at home this year, I look forward to it. Hopefully we will be in full spring mode in Orlando and the weather nice.