Original Video: Dennis Bergkamp 100 Ajax Goals

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by ChizzyChisnall, Apr 9, 2019.

1. ChizzyChisnall

Feb 2, 2017
    Club:
    AC Siena

I have made a video capturing 100 out of 124 Dennis Bergkamp's goals in official matches for Ajax. This includes 98 "real" official goals and 2 goals against Real Madrid in 1992 Trophy Bernabeu. They are in chronological order based on this list:

https://docs.ufpr.br/~mmsabino/sstatistics/bergkamp.html

The 26 goals that I couldn't find any footage are as follows:

1. 86/87 vs Fortuna Sittard (Eredivisie, A)
    2. 87/88 vs Volendam (KNVB Cup R16, A)
    3. 87/88 vs Volendam (KNVB Cup R16, A)
    4. 88/89 vs VVV (Eredivisie, A)
    5. 88/89 vs Zwolle (KNVB Cup R2, H)
    6. 88/89 vs Zwolle (KNVB Cup R2, H)
    7. 88/89 vs Volendam (Eredivisie, H)
    8. 88/89 vs SBV Haarlem (Eredivisie, A)
    9. 88/89 vs Den Bosch (Eredivisie, H)
    10. 90/91 vs NEC (Eredivisie, A)
    11. 90/91 vs NEC (Eredivisie, A)
    12. 90/91 vs RKC (Eredivise, A)
    13. 90/91 vs Fortuna Sittard 1st goal (Eredivisie, H)
    14. 90/91 vs Volendam (Eredivisie, A)
    15. 90/91 vs Vitesse (Eredivisie, H)
    16. 91/92 vs Volendam (Eredivisie, H)
    17. 91/92 vs De Graafschap (Eredivisie, H)
    18. 91/92 vs Fortuna Sittard (Eredivisie, H)
    19. 91/92 vs Willem II (Eredivisie, H)
    20. 91/92 vs MVV 1st goal (Eredivisie, A)
    21. 91/92 vs Willem II (Eredivisie, A)
    22. 92/93 vs Dortrecht (Eredivisie, A)
    23. 92/93 vs Go Ahead Eagles 1st goal (Eredivisie, H)
    24. 92/93 vs Vitoria Guimaraes (UEFA Cup R2L2, H)
    25. 92/93 vs Fortuna Sittard (Eredivisie, A)
    26. 92/93 vs Groningen (Eredivisie, H)

PDG1978, PuckVanHeel and carlito86 repped this.
  2. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Fantastic
    Will be watching at some point later on today
    I can safely assume you have access to some extensive bergkamp footage so could you for the benefit of DB fans do a similar comp for his ajax assists/pre assists and general passing

3. ChizzyChisnall

Feb 2, 2017
    Club:
    AC Siena
    Assists and pre-assists are harder to find but I will see what I can do.

carlito86 repped this.
  4. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
  5. ChizzyChisnall

Feb 2, 2017
    Club:
    AC Siena
    Generally speaking the Chinese video sharing sites are much more lenient on sports video blocking. Recommend checking out my channel there. Lots of footage that is blocked by YouTube and other places.

PuckVanHeel and carlito86 repped this.
  6. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Is there also a way to download it?

I've now finished watching it and it is very good stuff. Some rare great goals I wasn't aware of, or can't remember, for example the great left footed strike around 25:00. Also notable he dons #6 or #8 in some games. Or channeling around 23:20 his inner George Best while playing with #7 as a winger, riding and flying above a stretched high leg challenge. Maybe also something for @PDG1978 this.

:thumbsup: In the weekend I'll have a look at your other videos. Looks good :thumbsup:

7. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    When i saw his video i immediately thought he was the writer of this comment
    "I have video of him on VHS, about his Ajax days, and I can just say that he was superhuman comparing to his opponents in terms of speed, positioning, technique, SHOT... I'm sorry I can not provide you with this video, but youtube (Dennis Bergkamp best goals) should be enough.In period 90-93 he played for Ajax in Eredivisie 91 match, scoring 75 goals.In Arsenal he simply was moved to SS (AMF) position and he was more trying to assist, which doesn't mean that he had lost his killer instinct."
    https://pesstatsdatabase.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3716

There just isnt that many experts on bergkamps ajax career who frequent english forums
    DB was really a mercurial talent

Piksi,laudrup,bergkamp and baggio are for me the most skilled europeans of the 1990-1995 period
    One of the rare times that europeans were more skilled than their SA counterparts

8. ChizzyChisnall

Feb 2, 2017
    Club:
    AC Siena
    I'll either upload it to Google Drive or MegaUpload in the coming days.

9. ChizzyChisnall

Feb 2, 2017
    Club:
    AC Siena
    No, I don't go on that forum. But good to hear there are other people interested in Bergkamp as well.

carlito86 repped this.
  10. ChizzyChisnall

Feb 2, 2017
    Club:
    AC Siena
  11. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    What's peculiar is him already featuring in this 1990 'great goals' vhs video.

From 48:55 onward. Although he was already club topscorer/producer for a team winning the domestic championship, he was far removed from the peak of his domestic fame yet.

12. ChizzyChisnall

Feb 2, 2017
    Club:
    AC Siena
    That Willy Carbo scorpion goal against Go Ahead Eagles (53:10) is incredible.

PDG1978 repped this.
  13. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    He turned 50 recently. He doesn't do interviews very often (the last before this was three years ago I think) but he looked at a few pictures and had some comments. Although some of it is also in the excellent David Winner book (I like that book) it's nevertheless good to share. He helped (succesfully) players as Suarez, Eriksen and more recently Van de Beek.

[​IMG]

"This was the period around my breakthrough at Ajax. It happened that I played a European Cup-match on Wednesday evening and was back in school the next morning. Very special, when I think back to that. I felt more like a student than a soccer player. After the fifth year of pre-university education it was the other way around: I was admitted to the A-selection and also went to study physiotherapy. I still passed my propaedeutic year, but it became increasingly clear that my future was in football. It was impossible to combine. My parents were worried initially. We didn't have a lot at home and thought it was important that my three brothers and I obtained our first class diplomas. And then the youngest chooses an uncertain life as a professional football player. It all worked out well. "

[​IMG]

"Ah, look, De Meer. A safe and special environment for me. Until I was twelve I played with the neighbors on the Middenweg, with Wilskracht SNL. I spent whole days there, playing soccer endlessly with my friends. I think we were the last generation that played on the streets. On Sunday afternoons we saw the procession of supporters walk past our fields to the stadium and we heard the cheers from De Meer. Not knowing that I would play there myself later. My Ajax feeling was born in that place. As a youth player, walk around the stadium, cross the bridge to the changing rooms. We received a season ticket for Section H, where you walked in from the canteen in Voorland. The first game I played in De Meer myself was with the second team. There was no chicken in the gallery, but the proud feeling of that day has always stayed with me. I looked around and thought: Yes, that is it."

[​IMG]

"Nice that Frans Thijssen is also on this photo. He had made a name for himself at Ipswich Town in England, the country where I myself once hoped to play. This is in the Olympic Stadium, the ultimate at that time. Because all major Ajax matches and international matches were played there. It was of course an old container. The changing rooms and the catacombs were weathered and damp, and everything was made of unfinished cement. The trainers and reserves were sitting on a bench by the side. But the state of the stadium did not interest me. It was special. The Olympic Stadium stood for the magic of top competitions. For the level you wanted to go as a young player. "

[​IMG]

"This is how I am. I think I bring that ball behind my standing leg. I didn't have to evoke these kinds of actions in myself, it's in my nature. Because of my light-footed way of playing football, I was even compared to ballet dancers. For me it was simple: excellent players distinguish themselves from good players because they adapt to any given situation. For me my technique was the appropriate tool. Depending on how the ball rolled and what the opponent did, I decided at the very last moment what I was going to do. Take the marker balls. If a keeper stands too far for his goal, he gives away most of the space above his head. If you have the technology at that moment to be able to pinpoint correctly, that offers the greatest chance of a goal. So for me it was just the best option. Pure efficiency. In a beautiful way. "

[​IMG]

"The day of my presentation at Arsenal, with my wife Henrita. The funny thing is that we are on a shelf here. The groundsman did not allow us to stand on the grass. I thought that was so beautiful. The beautiful turf at Highbury was sacred to him. That summer I could go to Barcelona, to Bayern Munich, to other top clubs as AC Milan, but I wanted to go to England. Coincidentally there was a large article about Arsenal in VI in that period. Everything I read in it appealed to me. That feeling was confirmed when Vice President David Dein called me and outlined a good perspective and challenge. Add to that the city of London, the English football entourage, the red and white club colors, in the country where I went on vacation as a child. It just made sense. When the transfer was announced, I was in a hotel with my wife. On the English Teletext it was announced in capital letters, above the general news in small print. That was the moment when we realized how big the impact was. "

[​IMG]

"I am happy that I left over a big prize from my two years at Inter. And that as topscorer I had an important part in that. Everything was different than I was used to at Ajax. The concept of the game, the way of training, journalists who were posting at my house. In Italy I have become an adult player. I learned to bite off. And from three chances per game in the Netherlands with three forwards, I went to one chance per game. Life at the international top became clear to me, also because of the long days at the training complex, from nine to five. Football became work. I learned a lot from it, as a football player and as a person. I endured it. That felt like a victory. With the UEFA Cup as a crown. "

[​IMG]

"After the first season under Bruce Rioch, Arsène Wenger came to Arsenal. From my Ajax time I remembered that there were two top clubs in Europe at that time playing the 4-3-3 system: ourselves and Wenger's Monaco. That made me curious. Also because Patrick Vieira came to Arsenal in his wake, a big player with impact from day one. Under Wenger, a cultural change took place in the direction of my own ideas about football. With Wenger it was never about himself, but always about the players. And he ensured professionalization on all fronts. From the training forms to the sports meals and the warm-up during competitions; everything went over the top. During away matches, there was no more alcohol in the minibar in your hotel room, but only two bottles of water. All very un-English. From Wenger it was accepted because he is an intelligent man who knows exactly what he is doing and is one of the more honest men in football. He took Arsenal to a higher level. "

[​IMG]

"I can easily recall this moment. I made an extra sham and stuck that ball into the net. This image symbolizes the daring of the team that we had at Ajax then. The majority came from our own training and the guts were made with us. Whether we were playing in a full Kuip or anywhere else. We went to Feyenoord to win and nothing else. In the training of Ajax you get a free life education with it. You not only learn to play football there, your character is also formed. From childhood you was scolded and spit at duels, for every opponent the encounters with the youth of Ajax were the matches of the year. That cannot be simulated at any other club. And it comes on top of the internal performance pressure. It is a matter of course during training. Only at the end of the ride, when you enter professional football, will you notice how valuable that luggage is. "

[​IMG]

"If we played against Manchester United, Wenger told me how Jaap Stam wasn't fast. That I had to take advantage of that. Well, I really thought differently. Jaap was one of the most difficult opponents you could encounter. He mastered all aspects of defending: game insight, physical strength, speed, a good appearance, the cleverness to estimate attacking actions in advance and always alert. Those were tough and special duels."

[​IMG]

"What a nice picture. With Thierry, I immediately think of the period when Arsenal was called The Invincibles. From May 2003 we did not lose a single competition match for a year and a half. Above all, we played the most complete football I experienced at that time. That was the ultimate, it approached perfection. The mutual coordination and the swift dynamics was great. With an important role for players like Henry, Vieira, Pires and also myself. The competitions were a feast for the eyes, but I have also experienced training sessions of an insane level. Then Henry did things ... That was almost laughable, so ridiculously good. It would be great if there had been cameras. But yes, there were none. Henry remains the most dominant pure attacker I've seen in the Premier League era."

---------

To be continued later.

russ, PDG1978 and comme repped this.
  14. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    [​IMG]

"This PFA trophy has a meaning for me. It is very satisfying when fellow professional football players declare you Player of the Year. In addition, I won the award from the Football Writers Association, from the press. If you get both prizes at the same time, you know that something is very much appreciated. I was a team boy and I do not like to be in the foreground. But I am really proud of this individual prize, in the toughest competition in the world. At that time, foreign players were seen very skeptical in England. When I arrived, Alan Sugar, the president of Tottenham Hotspur, said that I came to Arsenal for only a year to fill my bags and then leave. Ha, that went a little different. "

[​IMG]

"One day I received a letter from Arsenal on my doormat asking if the board and former team-mates could issue a statue and plant it. That is apparently the protocol. As if I only had to think about it for a day and say no. The unveiling was linked to the testimonial in the then new Emirates Stadium. In this way a bridge was built between past and present. I was and am very proud to be a symbol of that. In terms of appreciation, this was the best moment of my career. I think I have had a contribution to the type of football in the Premier League and the way foreign players were viewed. That was kind of immortalized on this day. It came together. "

[​IMG]

"This was the first time that we won the double with Arsenal in 1998. From the first day in London I enjoyed the English football culture of the time and on that day it reached a peak. In an open bus through the city, through those full streets, you see the fans standing on the roofs. The further the time passes, the clearer is how remarkable that period was. Because after our 2004 national title, Arsenal has never again become champion. "

[​IMG]

"I will never forget that I was watching on TV to FC Utrecht-Feyenoord in England. At Feyenoord they let Robin van Persie warm up the entire second half. Then I knew something was wrong there. Moreover, Dutch newspapers published all kinds of stories that Robin would be such a difficult boy. I have never really noticed this. From the day Robin arrived at Arsenal, I truly loved him. A calm and social boy. Very professional, very eager to learn and with a lot of respect towards his new colleagues. He soon got that respect bounced back to him, because all the top players, the French, immediately saw how well Robin could play. Despite the many injuries I am very happy with the career he ultimately had. For himself and for the football too. Because players like Robin give top football color, depth and taste. "

[​IMG]

"Although I didn't win any prizes with Orange, it was a successful time for me. I don't think I can blame myself a lot for the level and my focus during the final tournaments. In terms of results, there could have been more in it, though. Bad luck was also involved. In four of my five final tournaments we were eliminated via a penalty shootout series. This World Cup, in 1994 in America, was the only time that it happened in regular playing time. The hangover remains the same. You go home too early, with the feeling that you didn't have to. Even when, as in this photo against Brazil, you are eliminated by the later world champion and scored a decent goal. "

[​IMG]

"Johan Cruijff was a common thread throughout my career. He was one of those few who saw it in me in the Ajax youth, where many others at the steering wheel had their doubts. After my departure from Amsterdam we kept meeting each other and the click has always remained. When Johan wanted to intervene at Ajax in 2010, we quickly found each other in the things that had to change. As a youth trainer, I had already noticed that Ajax had remained stuck and regressed in the method that had led to success in 1995. I returned to the club in 2008 and doing the same thing for thirteen years is never good. My eyes were opened during a dinner with Johan and my wife in Amstelveen. That was the beginning of what was later dubbed the velvet revolution. Wim Jonk also had ideas, especially about a different way of training, and that's how it started. Johan knew it wasn't going to be easy and it turned out. Like he always saw things earlier and sharper than others. I have always remained a supporter of his framework. Johan often said during the decades: "You must not do what I say, you must listen to what I say and then give it your own interpretation". We had that faith in each other and it is exactly what I have always done. Johan's vision as a basis, with my own vision after twenty years of top football. It is precisely the interpretation of his philosophy that often led to conflicts and disagreements. That was painful for those involved and sometimes for Johan. I will always remain grateful to him for all the beautiful things he has given me, sport and society too. Football has many qualified people who see all the impossibilities, regulations and limitations, but for him it was only a tiny part of the entire universe."

[​IMG]

"It's great Rijkaard is also on this photo: an experienced and valued fellow player at this first tournament, the European Championship 1992, and my national coach during the last one, Euro 2000 in the Netherlands. If I had awarded only one person a grand prize with the Orange team, of course not counting myself, it would have been Rijkaard. I thought Frank was an exceptionally good coach, above the norm. His discussions were fantastic: it witnessed a great insight into sport and he was able to convey it very clearly, calm and eloquent. I grant him his peace of mind, but for Dutch football it is a shame that Rijkaard has stopped as a coach. That man stands for quality in all respects. "

[​IMG]

"The 1998 World Cup in France, the tournament where I was maybe most visible. Partly because of this moment against Argentina, after the deep pass by Frank de Boer. I remember well that after that goal I raised my arms to heaven. I don't like those gestures of faith, but then I felt very strongly that this moment had been granted to me. After another good season at Arsenal, much was expected from me. While following a hamstring injury, I ran a race against the clock to be able to go to the World Cup at all. As a team we had to pay for the dramatic European Championship in England two years earlier. I was very disturbed by the internal tensions there. It had nothing to do with Orange; the European Championship happened to be the place where all sorts of dissatisfaction and senses of unfairness erupted. In France, with the same group of players and the same coach, Guus Hiddink, we showed what we were capable of. The realization was back that in a career you only have a few chances for lasting impressions at a final tournament. You can't fool that. All the above merged into that discharge after my goal against Argentina. "

[​IMG]

"My new life as a trainer and member of the technical heart at Ajax was in full swing here. This was a moment because of the foregoing. After three national titles in a row, we talked within the technical core group in the summer of 2013 about how we could take the next step. A plan emerged from which we lifted the training on a tactical, technical and physical level to a higher level. With more emphasis on individual training and work per line. Jaap Stam then grabbed the defenders, Hennie Spijkerman the midfielders, I the attackers and Frank de Boer the whole. Followed by collective training forms in which that all came back. It was wonderful to work, in a progressive way and at a high level. With another championship as a crown. Later the cooperation in the changed staff and within the club management would unfortunately not go well."

[​IMG]

"With Arsenal back in Amsterdam, with my son Mitchel and my oldest daughter Estelle. At the age of 20, Mitchel now stands out above me and I train him twice a week at Young Almere. He has specific qualities as a midfielder: intuitive insight into rhythm, two-legged, light-footedness. But I noticed that especially his lesser sides were emphasized. Perhaps because of his last name and the expectations attached to it. That motivated me to work with him and his teammates in a different way. At Ajax I saw a future in which I would often be on the pitch: giving attackers specialist training; not only in the A-selection, but also more and more in the youth education. And to continue the bridging function between training and the first team. Totally unexpected, the story ended at Ajax. Maybe I'll come back to this later. For now I enjoy the training at Almere and the development of my four children. I'm not done in football yet. I can see myself going abroad but also stay here. In the area where my greatest interest is: sustainable talent development, individual training, a substantive role in a technical staff. Whatever the developments in modern football are, you see again and again that pure football also comes to the fore at the top. I want to continue to make a contribution to that. "

------------------------

That was it @PDG1978 @ChizzyChisnall

russ, ChizzyChisnall, comme and 2 others repped this.
  15. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Repping now Puck, but will read thoroughly later on sometime! I think most likely I'll not have things to expand and add etc, but I'm interested for sure! Thanks

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  16. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #16 PuckVanHeel, May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Thanks PDG.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the club and their fanbase (yesterday's celebrations proved again why) but I like some of their historic figures.

Often something mystical is built around technical brilliance and I like it that he helps to transfer something of it (rather successfully) to other players. People as Eriksen or Suarez are also not from countries where it's a given they produce (well-rounded) world class athletes. Thinking more about it, in terms of 'parallel players' Eriksen actually would be a good call. Both blonde, cold, timid with an edge of steel. Sense for movement and surroundings, more a facilitator than an individualist (Eriksen can seem to disappear in games too but you miss him when he's not there).

It's nice there are many good videos out there now

I actually think his long passing ability (from any position on the field) is now a bit underrated/forgotten today. Plenty examples around but often they aren't in the default highlights so to speak. edit: also example at 3:36 in the second video.

17. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah, I always (at least from early Arsenal years anyway) thought he was really good with medium/long range passes, though obviously he could be great with short intricate ones too. Nice that people are making some videos for him showing skills etc.

Yeah, I suppose Eriksen has never been a fast player so that is a difference, but in certain respects in terms of their approach they have similarities I think yes, and maybe Bergkamp's training/advice influenced that a bit (of helped Eriksen with vision/game overview etc from a young age).

18. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Sorry to come back for a final time;

Maybe this video from the official channel helps to identify some missing ones. It was uploaded last week I saw yesterday.

Maybe it has some of the missing goals.

Last sunday I also saw this brief section (found it back on youtube) where that 'learning' was made more specific (of course then he wasn't a trainer yet). It's from early 2011.

(play video for footage)

"There you see me glancing to him, that says a lot."
    --- You have said Bergkamp was a kind of mentor for you at the club, that you learned from him, but can you clarify that with details. What did he learn you for example?
    "Yeah the words fail me to describe it. He had an important function. I had so much respect for the man."
    --- Yes, but is that because of his technique, or his game concept, the way he lived."
    "All of that. All felt right about the man. How he behaved in first instance. How he always presented himself, wherever. How he trained, always 100%. How he played and built his being around the team. I was a big fan. I sat next to him, he was number ten, I was number eleven. So I saw every day my example so to say. And I kept regarding him like that because often if you have someone in high regard then you get to know him and think 'oh well, fine dude, but...'. But with him it was not the case. I kept seeing him on that pedestal.
    One time I saw a training which was the answer the man was bizarre. Then I was finished with exercising earlier, and from the jacuzzi I saw his training. He came back from an injury and he trained with a boy of 15 and a boy of 16 or 17, and the fitness trainer. They did a pass-and-kick exercise with boards and mannequins and such. He did a training of over 45 minutes and he did not misplace a kick a single time. He just did not make a mistake. All 100%, all on the maximum, play the ball in lightning fast, play in or bounce.
    That was captivating. I got open hands from the bath but I kept sitting to wait for when he would make a mistake. But the mistake did not come. That was the answer like 'this is something unusual'."

--- Thus it was his concentration that you noticed, apart from the technique.
    "Yes, for me it provided many answers I was looking for. Because I can also pass well, I can also play decent football so to say. But this man did it so good and so driven, he had such a focus with that, for me it was answer like 'wait a minute, I can also play well, but I need to make a big leap yet'. That was the realization 'if I want to be good I also want to be able to do that'. From that point I started to do every exercise simple 100%. Whether it was a triangle or something else. If I made a mistake or was injured I was annoyed, because I wanted to conduct myself like Bergkamp did."

Yesterday he said on dutch TV (as the farewell interview) he saw something similar when David Beckham was training at Arsenal (to stay fit, come back to fitness). He saw a similar sharpness and ethic. He also added, when the interviewer asked whether he misses that in some people, it is not realistic to demand that strain for everyone but that you (the youngsters) can try how far you can go.

As final trivia: Frenkie de Jong's girlfriend (formerly a talented field hockey player) is friends with Bergkamp's daughter.

PDG1978 repped this.
  19. ChizzyChisnall

Feb 2, 2017
    Club:
    AC Siena
    Thank you. I'll try to identify the opponents for the goals.