Pre-match: Oranje vs. Bulgaria & Italy

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Brilliant Dutch, Mar 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    To the bone. This is what many people have failed to realize and still think of ' van gaal having the iron fist'

2. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I also want to add to this that even in World Cup 2014, you only had 2 impressive games with LVG. You did thrash Spain, but their team was aging and not doing that well at that time, especially with Robben's pace. And that is just a thing that happens in one game. Its not like something that would repeatedly happen. Did good against Chile as well which was a great day but otherwise thats pretty much it. Struggled against Australia. Extremely lucky vs Mexico with that controversial penalty when Mexico were the better side for long stretches. Could not beat Costa Rica without a penalty shootout. Lost to an underperforming Argentina side that heavily relied on their defense/counterattack, Messi, and Di Maria. Other than the Spain game, was this really an impressive world cup? 2010 was a lot better. More goals, and actually won games in normal time. Also the fact that you were able to hold on until the 116 min against a world class Spain team with a man down for most of the game was impressive.

2008 and 2010 were good teams. Then after that the team started to fail. 2014 was a lucky year and a fluke.

3. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Van Gaal is not the answer. He is a good coach but a bad administrator. The rot in the KNVB is deep. That organization needs a major shake up, but will that happen? It has a long tradition of nepotism and incompetence.

4. Do you have any idea how BvMarwijk was insulted by the Ajax crowd for the football he played? With no respect whatever for what he achieved with that Orange team, not only in the WC2010, but also in the qualifiers and friendlies. Until he came players were oblivious to friendlies. He made it clear that you have to (try) to win every match to get the invincible feeling and who doesnot subscribe to that will not be selected.

5. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You're mostly right, except for the Mexico game where we were much better the 2nd half.

And we also hit the goalpost and crossbar THREE times against Costa Rica, so we were very unlucky not to win in regulation

6. On the subject from Seedorf:

"Wat Seedorf betreft verandert in Nederland ook de manier waarop het voetbal beleefd wordt. ,,Over de vraag of we het WK willen winnen met slecht spel, of tweede willen worden met prachtig spel, raken we in Nederland niet uitgepraat. Dat is typisch. In Italië hoeven ze daar geen twee seconden over na te denken, hier wel. Dat is onze cultuur, daar hebben we de wereld mee veroverd. Maar die wereld is veranderd, dus moeten wij dat ook.''

"If it was up to Seedorf Netherlands also changes the way football is experienced. ,, On the topic whether we want to win the World Cup with a bad play, or want to be second with beautiful football, we can not stop discussing in the Netherlands. That's typical about us. In Italy they would only think about it for two seconds, but here we do. That is our culture, we have conquered the world with it. But the world has changed, so must we. ''

7. The Ajax crowd was moaning about BvM that we won matches without beautiful football, now they are moaning we loose with bad football.
    And then push for de Boer as coach.
    That's a receipe for continuation of bad football. He will fall back on what he knows, and that is only Ajax, so the selection will be mostly Ajax with years of experience with non pressing football with the highest useless possession on the globe in the defense.

8. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Why cant we be like Brazil, "prachtig spel en de WK ook winnen"??

9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Barca had a more traditional #9 before Suarez came with both Et'oo and Zlatan. Suarez is not a traditional center forward and remember he played on the wing at Ajax with Huntelaar in the middle. It really began to click when Neymar joined up with Suarez and Messi that they began to do all the interchanging. My point is the front three can be used in a different way than how the Dutch always do things.

10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Find a quote from me where I ragged on BvM. I thought he did the right thing tactically just as van Gaal did four years later.

11. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    There was no VDV. And De Jong was completely falling off, as was Sneijder whom LVG came a completely new role & he played much deeper.

The defense was De Vrij-Vlaar-BMI & BMI-De Vrij were rookies. He played with Kuyt as RWB/LWB too. The team was as bad if not worse. And Wijnaldum didn't play a lot of games but he played in a withdrawn CM/DMish role & he did very well - As matter of fact look at his performance against Brazil or Blind's performance of anyone else.

Even in Bayern, he converted Robben from a traditional winger to an inverted winger. Schweinsteiger from a failed winger to a top CM, picked Muller from the reserved. I remember him taking Alaba at 16 when Alaba was a 10, he famously said Alaba was a LB, he just doesn't know it yet. Chile were also a good team.

The 5-3-2 or the 3-5-2 ish formation was also new. And Spain were a top team going in, only when they got demolished 5-1, that all this aged crap started to come in. The team was playing in 45C & 2 games a week, you can't perform at a high level consistently & no team did.

The match against Mexico was 1 sides in the 2nd half, the penalty has legit & there should have been 2-3 more PK. Even the Costa Rica game was 1 sides with possibly PK's denied.

In the end it was 3rd place, undefeated & losing out on PK with possibly the worst team in a WC - Anyone who thought Sneijder or De Jong was any good before the WC is out of touch - remember his famous interview about how he became a worker in a role & he is not WC anymore & Robben still claiming that Sneijder has a lot to give. LVG plucked BMI literally out of nowhere & he was okay!

Orange14 and Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  12. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think I was the only one supporting BVM when everyone hated him, especially DRB, I don't think Oranje was a big fan either. But rightfully everyone said he made winning a habit. But let us be honest, he got a Robben-Sneijder in their absolute peaks in 2010 & Hunter-RVP-VDV-Kuyt were also at a good stage. When LVG took over, the generation had fallen apart from Robben.

BVM couldn't even get out the group with that team & Afellay at a time when RVP & Huntelaar were getting record goals for their clubs & were 2 of the highest scorers in the world. He also played horribly defensive football ! So I don't why would people want BVM over LVG.

BVM was good with established stars but terrible in working with young people, remember he barely selected Eredivisie people & everyone used to crib about & abuse him! He just wouldn't fit with this team.

Having said that, LVG has been apparently offered (rumour) a job a KNVB CEO odd & not the coach, kind of a Club President + Sporting Director odd. I don't know which good candidate is available since both Koeman & Stam refused !

13. Not you, but the ones most vocal about that were the absent one who isnot missed and the one who's known with the first letter J.

14. Brasil left beautiful football long before we did it, mainly because the best players went to Europe and they were drilled in effective football.

15. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not really. I am not sure how good of a coach BvMarwijk really is, but you did have a great team in 2010 when talking players.

16. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah but Mexico were defending extremely well. You did look more dangerous in parts of the second half yes.

Yeah I think you also were the better side vs Costa Rica as well, but they are a much inferior team to you on paper, at least back then, and the fact that you couldn't score was still a little ridiculous. You could say Costa Rica beat us and Uruguay, but Uruguay were without Suarez, and we had a rubbish coach back then and many players were playing for themselves and not for the team. We sucked when Prandelli was in charge.

17. By the way, it is increasingly possible the WC2018 isnot going to take place at all.

18. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    HUH??? Where did you hear that??

19. Secret sources. If I tell you I have to ... you know...But seriously the events unfolding around Putin and Trvmp and rumours from Germany are accelerating in the wrong direction=for us the right one. Global events are coming to our rescue:cool:

20. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ah yes, the lovely Ms. Neeskens. I still miss her.

21. No,the one Mr S mentioned.
    I actually donot remember how she thought about it. In another thread she was talked about the last few months regularly and they miss her too.

22. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Even if they took away the WC from Russia (which I highly doubt they will), FIFA would just award the tournament to another country.

China maybe??
    Or Ukraine just to piss off Putin :D

23. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Part of me is happy that LVG is offered the CEO and not the head coach. Like I said in my previous post, LVG is no longer fitted and motivated to lead a team. He's old and often time explosive (in not-so-good way). It's like a ticking bomb in the dressing room.. I don't think he will get too many respects from the players in spite of his colorful past history. That said, I appreciate the fact that LVG can pull off and gamble on something that's unthinkable (e.g. the 3-5-2 in the last W.C) He is not afraid going against the grain... and rightfully so, he's about to retire, so he probably says to himself "who cares." So hopefully, if confirmed, as a CEO he will once again use his brilliant mind to choose a head coach who's innovative and unconventional... I don't know what that means, we shall see. He's certainly already got his hands tied up with the diminishing numbers of candidates available.

24. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
  25. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    VDV contributed a lot in the WC2014 qualifiers, in fact he played much more than Sneijder and was great, I remember a game won 4-1 against Romania where he had three assists...

I can't let you say that Wijnaldum did very well during the world cup, he only played well against the depressed brazilian team otherwise he was pretty useless especially in possesion phases. Actually I liked more Clasie during his 60min against Argentina than Wijnaldum during his 3 other games.