Oranje v Scotland & Macedonia [R]

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by johan neeskens, Mar 20, 2009.

1. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Final squad just in. No surprises, though I'm happy to see Braafheid kept his place. WTF Timmer is doing in there is still beyond my comprehension.

Doel: Maarten Stekelenburg (Ajax), Henk Timmer (Feyenoord) en Michel Vorm (FC Utrecht).

Defensie: Khalid Boulahrouz (VfB Stuttgart), Edson Braafheid (FC Twente), Giovanni van Bronckhorst (Feyenoord), John Heitinga (Atletico Madrid), Dirk Marcellis (PSV), Joris Mathijsen (Hamburger SV), Gregory van der Wiel (Ajax) en André Ooijer (Blackburn Rovers)

Middenveld: Ibrahim Afellay (PSV), Mark van Bommel (Bayern München), Nigel de Jong (Manchester City), Stijn Schaars (AZ), Wesley Sneijder (Real Madrid), Rafael van der Vaart (Real Madrid), Demy de Zeeuw (AZ)

Aanval: Ryan Babel (Liverpool), Klaas Jan Huntelaar (Real Madrid), Dirk Kuyt (Liverpool), Robin van Persie (Arsenal), Arjen Robben (Real Madrid)

Post your preferred starting XI!

2. Oranje23

Oranje23 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Victoria, Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Vorm
    Marcellis Heitinga Mathijsen Gio

MvB de Jong

Robben VdV Sneijder

KJH

3. feyenoord_for_life

feyenoord_for_life New Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Zoetermeer
    I think van Marwijk will start the match with a relatively conservative first 11. He will want to see how the game plays out and add creativity as it is needed. I think there may be more pressure on the Scots to put in a good performance which may open up a lot of holes for us. Both Kuijt and Sneijder offer something on both sides of the park and should get the start. Our goaltending position is a mess btw. I would like to see Vermeer get a call up or two. Our starting 11 based on what I think van marwijk will play:

--------------stek'burg-------------

Heitinga----Ooijer---Mathijsen----Gio

------van Bommel---De Jonge-------

---Kuijt------Sneijder-----Robben---

-------------Huntelaar--------------

3 points here almost guarantees qualification so I dont see too much experimentation happening. Id like to see players like Vermeer, Schaars and Braafheid get more opportunities once our ticket has been booked later in.

4. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Thats a strong lineup, should get us into the QF's or Semis at WC2010.
    From there we'll do our usual thing and lose on penalties :D :eek: :eek:

5. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Are you sure about that?? Just 3 points is enough???

Arrghh.... now you're making me google and stuff :eek:

6. feyenoord_for_life

Aug 12, 2007
    Zoetermeer
    haha not really 3 points .. only that Scotland is our main competition, and we already have a significant lead in the standings on them. A win at home would practically do it for us, considering the other teams are beating each other up. There still is a while to go but a win here would be a huge step forward

7. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I don't know how any of you can include Heitinga and Gio in their starting line-up. Both have been crap this season. I guess you're following the Van Marwijk strategy - it's more important how you've performed in the past than how you're performing right now. I can understand playing Stekelenburg as there simply aren't any better options. Preferring Gio to Braafheid though is downright ludicrous on the basis of their performance this season, and deep down even the Feyenoord fans know it.

8. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    With all due respect for the other countries in our group, this has got to be one of the easiest qualifying rounds for Holland in my memory, not because Holland are playing that well (we're not) but because our opponents keep on taking points from each other. If we keep on winning at home we're fine and can even afford to lose away.

9. feyenoord_for_life

Aug 12, 2007
    Zoetermeer
    Thats exactly why a win here almost seals the deal for us .... our group is that bad.

My lineup is based purely on what I think we will see, not what id like. I ll be the first one to say Braafheid should be in there ahead of Gio, but he is our captain right now, and unless anything significant happens you ll see him there. Ive warned this forum about van marwijk since the day he was appointed ... so its no shocker to me.

As for heitinga, he hasnt been fantastic this year, but one could argue that he is seeing time in a bigger league against better players. Putting a Marcelis on RB solves little going forward. Heitinga does have a good eye for goal and would me the better RB. If we were playing a Brazil or whatever, id raise questions, but I dont see Scotland rushing the wings and putting pressure on our L/RB.

10. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    That's fair enough. We need to get our youngsters some playing time though in view of the world cup. That's what bugs me about Van Marwijk. He's clearly not willing to try anything new even more than a year prior to the world cup and considering that we're extremely likely to qualify, and I'm saying that without arrogance. You get the feeling that even when a young player plays like Cruyff in his best years the next twelve months they still won't get into the national team when it's under Van Marwijk's leadership. He's just not willing to give any newcomers a chance.

On that note the Holland B team is a farce.

11. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Aye, excellent points all-around Feyenoorder.

I looked it up, we have the easiest group in the history of ********ing mankind, and that is all!! No if and or but's!! :D

Heitinga I'm not sure is ready for Oranje, he was on Liga's non-star team, very embarrassing, although I dont think he was that bad.

Ooijer I think was awesome during Euro 2008, go watch replays you'll see how instrumental he was, as far as I'm concerned he can still play next year, especially after watching some Blackburn matches.

Mathijsen???? Aye, I never been big on him *sigh* :eek:
    Not sure what to say, other then if he's still starting for HSV he must be doing something right. He did do OK for Oranje in last Euro though

Thats my input, the midfield and offence is in fine shape, needs no elaboration from me. Holland can sub anyone from Babel to Kuijt to Afellay and not lose anything.

12. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I'm all for choosing experienced, proven players when there's no valid alternative but surely there's plenty of time for Van Marwijk to try and fit in newcomers. He just doesn't seem to be willing to do that, not even in friendlies. In short I just think he's far too conservative and that might get in the way of us bringing the best possible 22 to the world cup in 2010.

13. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Fine, but I noticed you didnt quarrel with my starting Oranje.

Who would you replace with my starting XI picks????

14. Oranje23

Oranje23 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Victoria, Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Stupid me, don't know how I over looked Van Persie, and preferred VdV in his place.

Personally I'd like to see Vorm get a shot in goal. As an Ajax supporter, I've been frustrated with Stek all season, and don't even know that Feijenoord fans want Timmer there. I'd rather see Vorm get a debut in a friendly, but he can't do any worse than the other options.

The back 4 is really tricky to pick because there are question marks with every player. I think it would good to infuse some youth with experience which is why I'd like to see Marcellis get a shot.

And I can concede Braafheid should start ahead of Gio, but I don't see Van Marwijk making that selection.

15. psv88

psv88 New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    New York
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    In my deliriously tired state i thought MVB was marco van basten. need sleep.

16. Oranje23

Oranje23 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Victoria, Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Haha, if only!

17. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Marco does still look like can play, he hasnt aged much :)

18. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    My starting XI (given this squad selection, I've already made clear that I don't agree with some of the call-ups). This is against Scotland, likely to play a British style 4-4-2, without any real wingers. That said hey've got some speed up front so they'll gamble on the counter attack probably, which makes the case for Braafheid even stronger as he can outsprint virtually anyone in the squad, notably including all the other defenders that were called up. We'll need some strong physical players in there too, more so than against Macedonia.

------------------------------Stekelenburg-----------------------

Bouhla--------------Ooijer------------Matthijsen----------Braafheid

--------Kuyt---------------Schaars------------Sneijder

----Van Persie----------------Huntelaar--------------Robben

19. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Just to clarify: as Scotland will probably play a conservative 4-4-2 that leaves one of our back four in a free role. Ooijer is capable of doing that and probably the strongest defender in terms of build up play. He could move up the pitch a bit playing alongside Schaars (with Bouhla moving more to central defence). That leaves Schaars and Ooijer as midfield locks on the door, doing the dirty work, and freeing up Sneijder who can then do whatever he pleases, and allowing Kuyt to annoy the Scottish all over the pitch, leaving Robben and Van Persie to do what they do best and Huntelaar to finish off their moments of brilliance.

You know it makes sense.

20. Vandervaart

Vandervaart Member

May 21, 2003
    London
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Surely Van Marwijk should replace Van Bronckhorst and probably Ooijer as well.. Is there no proper leftback to be found at all??

21. Vandervaart

Vandervaart Member

May 21, 2003
    London
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Sneijder, Kuyt, Huntelaar, Van Persie and Robben. Good enough maybe to beat the likes of Scotland, but recipe for harakiri against stronger teams! Van Marwijk is going to pack the midfield.. now THAT makes sense!! :D

22. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Seemed to be doing fine against Italy and France

23. feyenoord_for_life

Aug 12, 2007
    Zoetermeer
    If memory serves me right only Sneijder and Kuijt started from that group ....

Has anybody been following Bouhlarouz around this year? How has been doing?

24. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    That is correct, but vPersie and Robben both scored vs France.
    And Robben assisted on the vPersie goal also

25. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Not a single opponent in group will play attacking football against us. So why waste defenders on non-existent attackers? That said with Schaars and Kuyt we've got enough safety built in even against stronger opposition in my view.

Besides we're good at attacking football and not so good at defending. Make the most of your best qualities I say.