Pre-match: Oranje - Japan Oefenmatch [R]

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by feyenoordsoccerfan, Aug 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 05-09-2009 14:00 Nederland - Japan

Curious about this match. Is there going to be a stampede of Japanese press to see Honda against a top team?

Big chance for Rafael and Wesley to shine and make top clubs aware that they can have them for no transfer fee at all if Real is going on the way they behave.

2. 8MDV8

8MDV8 Member

Nov 3, 2006
    Huizen Netherlands
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Re: Oranje - Japan Oefenmatch

As a dutchman who has been following Japanese football for quite some years I'm very exited about this match.

Oranje obviously has the best chances to win, but Japan will be very dangerous if they get any free kicks. Shunsuke Nakamura is one of the best free-kickers in the world, and they've got some great headers with Marcus Tulio Tanaka and Yuji Nakazawa. Japan will probably try to play attacking football and quickly pass the ball around, like AZ. Japan's attack isn't world class but could be compared to one the better teams of the Eredivisie, considering they scored 4 goals against the 'Red Devils' (with Alderweireld, Simoms, Poccognoli, Vermaelen and Swerts as defenders).

3. Erwin6174

Erwin6174 Member

Jun 13, 2008
    The Netherlands
    I'll be there, anyone else going? Neeskens surely ;)

4. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    The idea of other people sitting on my seat is just weird! I'm not sure yet.

5. dwbakker

dwbakker New Member

Jan 9, 2008
    Sarnia, ON
    Didn't notice it right away but Elia has bumped Babel also, Van Marwijk is growing some cojones! Congrats to Elia, he deserves it. Hopefully this lights a fire under Babel's ass.

6. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Interesting that Marcellis is ditched out. Uphill battle for him now, especially if Loovens can prove his worth and Maduro keeps up his game in Valencia. First call up for Velthuizen, good for him, though I don't think he can challenge Stekelenburg anytime soon.

7. Erwin6174

Erwin6174 Member

Jun 13, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Here's the entire selection:

Goal: Maarten Stekelenburg (Ajax), Piet Velthuizen (Vitesse) en Michel Vorm (FC Utrecht)
    Defense: Edson Braafheid (Bayern München), Giovanni van Bronckhorst (Feyenoord), John Heitinga (Atletico Madrid), Glenn Loovens (Celtic), Joris Mathijsen (Hamburger SV), André Ooijer (PSV) en Gregory van der Wiel (Ajax).
    Midfield: Ibrahim Afellay (PSV), Nigel de Jong (Manchester City), David Mendes da Silva (AZ), Stijn Schaars (AZ), Wesley Sneijder (Internazionale), Rafael van der Vaart (Real Madrid) en Demy de Zeeuw (Ajax).
    Forwards: Eljero Elia (Hamburger SV), Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (AC Milan), Dirk Kuijt (Liverpool), Robin van Persie (Arsenal) en Arjen Robben (Bayern München).

A pretty good line-up I think, save for Ooijer. I don't think he deserves to be in the starting eleven.

8. Barcalove redded

Barcalove redded Red Card

Aug 2, 2009
    Holland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  9. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    All makes good sense to me apart from the Ooijer call-up. I mean FFS. Finally, finally, finally, Babel gets a reality check. Well done Elli.

And again it would be nice if Stam would be given a try. I guess Twente's defensive record and Stam's contribution to attacking play in an attacking system against quality opposition over the past 12 months means f all. Again no Twente player in the squad. Oh well, what else is new.

10. dwbakker

dwbakker New Member

Jan 9, 2008
    Sarnia, ON
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Marcellis is injured. I think i read that somewhere.

11. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    I did not know that. I hope it's true. In all fairness to Marcellis, BVM has not given much look, so to remove Dirk from the squad, other than for injury reason, is quite devastating.

12. dwbakker

dwbakker New Member

Jan 9, 2008
    Sarnia, ON
    http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=reu-worlddutch_brief&prov=reuters&type=lgns

Van Marwijk forced to drop Ole Man Ooijer. No offense Andre, but it's time for the youngsters to take over. Here's my preferred starting back four:

Van der Wiel - Loovens - Mathijsen - Braafheid

I know this won't happen though, I'm sure Heitinga will play along with St. Gio. I'd like to see how Loovens does but I'm pretty sure he won't get the nod.

13. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    The thought of actually having to play an opponent with quick wingers at the world cup with us having Gio at left back scares me to bits. Not sure about Loovens yet, he still has to prove himself at this level, but like you I hope he gets given the chance.

I know Im not exactly objective but I hope Douglas decides on the Dutch nationalty one day. Our defence would improve by the tenfold is he was in there in my view.

14. Erwin6174

Erwin6174 Member

Jun 13, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Frankly the level of the eredivisie is quite a step down from what we expect to see in the NT. Look at how Schaars struggled against England. After the game he admitted that he wasn't used to the fast pace of international games. Playing well in the eredivisie does not translate to the NT at all, I'd like to see these new guys go abroad. Same thing with Douglas, defending against Melvin Platje or Rommedahl is not the same as defending against Messi or Ronaldo.

15. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Yeh and Vermaelen was a crap defender for Ajax and look at him now at Arsenal. By contrast I'd like to see how Terry, the highest paid defender in the world, would cope with defending at RKC. I'm guessing he wouldn't exactly stand out.

Douglas neutralised the attack of the likes of Sporting Club de Portugal, Man City, Olympique Marseille, Schalke. Douglas has his limitations (he's only a kid after all) but as a straightforward central defender he's better than anyone with a Dutch passport at the moment. Van der Gijp commented on VI TV last night: there was only one world class player on the pitch at Feyenoord v Twente and it was Douglas.

16. It looks like Johan's town is going to be the centre of the European Hooligan meeting as there are signs that Dutch hooligans and probably even German hooligans will head to Enschede to get into the news at the National team match day against Japan.

17. Barcalove redded

Barcalove redded Red Card

Aug 2, 2009
    Holland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What do the Germans have to do with all this?? :confused:

18. Nothing, but it is just a few miles from the border, so they willnot let a chance to fight Dutch Hoolies go by unused. Internet is used to challenge each other so it is fast spread around that there will be this opportunity.

19. dwbakker

dwbakker New Member

Jan 9, 2008
    Sarnia, ON
  20. jethy

jethy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Nah, Stekelenburg is only injured for the Japan game. I wouldn't mind seeing Vorm and Velthuizen getting 45 minutes each.

Looking forward to seeing Loovens play for Oranje. Sadly I heard that Maduro was not even on the bench for Valencia's last game, he was doing so well last season. I'm hoping Elia gets his first start as a reward for his play in Hamburg.

Good call on Douglas by the way. Youri Mulder already said a few weeks ago on Studio Voetbal that he would love to see Douglas become a Dutch player. This means though that he has to stay for another 2 seasons after this season, which I just don't see happening.

21. In the Voetbal International ratings of the F'noord - Twente match both Brasil defenders Bahia and Douglas were awarded an 8 out of 10 for their performance.

22. jethy

jethy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Bahia has a bigger chance of becoming a Dutch player and he's pretty decent too. I know Douglas can speak Dutch, not sure about Bahia.

23. jethy

jethy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Dutch Starting 11: Vorm; Van der Wiel, Loovens, Mathijsen, Van Bronckhorst; De Jong, Mendes da Silva; Robben, Sneijder, Van Persie; Kuyt.

I wanted Mendes to start so I'm glad, Schaars was just really bad last time. I expected Heitinga to play next to Mathijsen ('cause I think that duo is the future of Oranje), but giving Loovens a start is a cool move too.

24. nve2k

nve2k Member

Jun 19, 2004
    Dreadful start. Dunno if it's the surface or the players are having an off day. Sneijder is man marked and Mendes is our worst player. The off form Schaars from last game was significantly better.