Orange, the rebuild starts now

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by feyenoordsoccerfan, Oct 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    That was a very lucky 3-0. On the other hand, it could have been 2-0 at half-time too.

2. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  3. 2nd_striker

2nd_striker Member

May 21, 2008
    London
    I believe! Thanks to Oranje for a superb birthday present!

Gabriel Guilarte and Sybe Pals repped this.
  4. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    OK, here is the question, DO WE BELIEVE IN THIS TEAM????? What a defensive performance. van Dijk had one of the best games of a central defender that I have ever seen (and I've seen a lot of matches going back to 1966). de Ligt was shaky at the beginning of the game but settled down to keep things calm Cillessen was tough in goal making the saves he needed to. The two late goals were great icing on the cake. This team still has a chance to win this group.

Player & Manager Ratings:

Koeman (9) - I don't know what he did but he got this group ready to play

Cillessen (8) - tough saves and calm on the ball
    Blind (8) - despite his limitations he had a very nice match
    van Dijk (10) - got the game winner and never missed a ball in the air
    de Ligt (7.5) - shaky start but came on strong
    Dumphries (7,5) - got some good help and had a really wicked cross that was well saved by the German defender
    F. de Jong (8) - smooth on the ball and unafraid to carry things forward
    de Roon (7.5) - totally spent at the end of the match but helped to clog up the middle of the defense
    Wijnaldum (8) - nicely taken shot on the third goal and played every German MF tight
    Bergwijn (7) - did the necessary tracking back on defense
    Memphis (9) - constant worry for Germany on counters and made sure there was always an outlet
    Babel (7) - some usual bad touches but otherwise a good match
    Promes (7) - defended well and got up field fast when the ball was turned over
    Gronewald (6.5) - could have done a little better when he had the ball in deep but looks to be a promising player
    Ake (7) - I was worried when I saw him coming in for de Jong but not to worry, he stepped right into the LB position and made some key interceptions

France at home next month and that may decide the group!!!!

5. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
  6. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    No WhiteBlue, if he spit on him he needs to be punished.

End of story

7. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Hey BD, Did you place a bet on tonight's game???

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  8. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I like how the Germans go right into victim-mode :rolleyes:

9. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    No, you crazy American ;)

10. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Bahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa......................3-0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take that, ze filthy Deutschlanders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

11. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm pretty drunk right now

12. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord

Completely mad.

Koeman was very muted in his reaction.

Sybe Pals repped this.
  13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Unlike after the 1988 Euro semifinal victory!!!:)

Oranje98 repped this.
  14. We were awful bad with playing out the counters we made. They should have a good look at the Oranje vs Italy and vs France 2006 matches to learn how to execute a counter. The Germans were very good in missing chances too. Could have been 6-5 or 5-6.

bunbohue repped this.
  15. bunbohue

bunbohue Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Same feeling. Could be better defensively but happy with the result.

16. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Germany have to go to France in a few days. In case they lose that one France only need a draw, away to Holland, in November. If that's indeed the case a draw against France would basically guarantee Germany get relegated and they'll very much be in danger of dropping down to pot 2 for the EURO qualis. H2H could be decisive and Germany should have never crumbled (the 3-0 can come back to haunt them). Holland would then remain in the top tier of the NL + top seed status in the the EURO2020 qualis. Yet there would be no Final 4 in June 2019 which most likely will take place in Portugal. ATM France, Belgium, Portugal and Spain are favoured to win their group and qualify for the Nations League Finals.

Ranking-wise this was a very good matchday for Holland. A win for Holland while none of the competitors for top seed status in the WCQs recorded a win (Germany, Switzerland, Denmark, Sweden, Italy, Poland and Wales). I'd expect the qualification format for Qatar to be disclosed around the first international break of 2019 (the start of the ECQs). Then you'll know what's needed and there'll be two double matchdays left to get into pot 1. Germany might even drop down to pot 2 (they're a direct competitor and Holland just gained about 16 points on them).

17. bunbohue

bunbohue Member

Apr 5, 2005
    I think Germany will play hard in the next match vs France. A draw is what I expect. If Netherlands can beat France in Netherlands then I will dare to dream another title. It is a bit early but things look bright and optimistic right now.

18. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Great result wish I could've watched the match.

19. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Germany desperately need a win. A draw against France won't be enough to advance to the Final 4 and they'll have crashed out of another group in the last half year. The game in France could go either way. It's only in a few days, we'll know the result soon enough.

20. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Just finished watching the replay... my three key take-aways.

This Dutch team is loaded with speed. From bottom to top (or back to front, or however you look at it)… Dumfries, De Ligt, Memphis, Bergwijn, Babel, Wijnaldum, Promes, etc. Even the holding midfielder Frenkie De Jong can bring the ball forward in a flash. The team is suited playing in an open game and counter-attack. In spite of the excellent result (against the powerhouse Germany, I must add), the scary thing (for the future opponents) is that, I think, the quality in the final third could yet be improved. Talk about attacking potential!

Van Dijk and De Ligt are beasts. A little bit erratic in the first 10 minutes or so, but when settled, they were rock solid. Looked like they are getting better understanding in their partnership. Nice to see that both are very comfortable passing from the back. It will be some defensive lapses here and there (just like when Sane left completely wide open - thankfully he missed terribly!)… but with the current trajectory, VDV & MDL would be easily in the top-3 defensive duo in the world in no time.

All debutants received passing grade. Many of you know that I have been bullish on Dumfries for quite some time now, and I think today he has raised the bar for himself. His charging forward and delivering to the box give a new attacking dimension, and his ability to stay on his feet defensively is what will make him indispensable. Bergwijn put a good shift and linked up nicely with the rest. Danjuma Groeneveld may have rushed and wasted a couple possessions, but he looked hungry and eager.

richsavare, Orange14 and Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  21. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord

LOL, the crowd singing the anthem at King's Day

22. Oranje98

Oranje98 Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I haven't really been that happy with an Oranje game since the 5-1 game against Spain. It wasn't a perfect game for Oranje, but come on! Koeman, the players and the fans really needed that boost after a long period of disappointment. Hopefully better things are yet to come.

23. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    https://www.onsoranje.nl/nieuws/nederlands-elftal/73942/virgil-van-dijk-niet-mee-naar-brussel

Van Dijk won't play in the game against Belgium because of an earlier injury.
    Belgium already had quite a lengthy injury list and although we have yet to receive confirmation Vermaelen and maybe Fellaini will be added to the list. According to Youri Mulder Belgium might have a problem, not immediately though but after EURO2020, while Holland are on the up. Time will tell, I guess.

Holland hadn't beaten Germany for 16 years ... until yesterday.
    Belgium's unbeaten record v. Holland is even better ... 21 years and counting. And Holland play Belgium a lot more often than Germany. The upcoming Derby of the Low Countries will be the 127th game between Holland and Belgium. Let's see if Belgium can extend the unbeaten record.

24. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    vDijk is out with an injury. I hope deVrij gets the start against Belgium

25. I always find it quite funny when we play against Germany we all sing inour national anthem "Am I of German Blood":D