Orange, the rebuild starts now

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by feyenoordsoccerfan, Oct 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nurvin

nurvin Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Babel isn’t the right striker for me.
    We need a central striker like we had van Persie and Huntelaar. I also think Huntelaar still could be called and provide more goals than Babel.
    But If i had to choose in these friendlies i would have given more play time to Weghorst and wait to see if Janssen will find the right form next year, so that at the euro Weghorst and Janssen could be the 2 central strikers in a 23 men’s roster.

Orange14 repped this.
  2. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I dont agree. Friendlys always comes handy when trying to build the depth in the squad. Look at what Mancini has done in jus three friendlys. By all means this Italian side was better than the Dutch in all aspects. If not for the red card, the dutch would have lost. Koeman just threw everybody after the red card jus to take advantage of the one player less. I agree with brillant dutch, koeman has done quiet well the talents at his disposal.

Regarding midfield, wijnaldum for me doesnt do it and it all goes back to how he is being moulded at liverpool by klopp.

You have to look at both Lyon and liverpool as to what dutch is missing if the team has to be built around Depay. At Lyon Fekir and Aouar are much more creative from the middle, from building up, assisting and following up behind Depay, traore or Diaz ,who ever starts. At liverpool the midfield is more a collective unit moving together up and down feeding the front three.

If you have to compare it to the dutch with Depay/Promes/ Babel up front, neither they have creative midfield nor their is a cohesion in the midfield.

I would say put vormer/ van ginkel behind the two forwards and maybe when frenkie is fit, him and somebody can start as rovers in the mid.

3. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Van ginkel and frenkie probably can inject more creativity in the midfield. Van ginkel was overlooked and koeman should relook at him after this two friendlys. Frenkie, hopefully he is fit before the nations league. I think there is friendly vs peru before the start of nations league.

Apart from this two I dont think there is any other player who can make any difference before the nations league.

* karsdorp depending on the pre season

4. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I dont think dutch are ready to go with 4 at the back. Blind and janmaat are liability defensively. Blind was again caught out of position on Zazas goal and janmaats yellow on one of the italian wingers was a clear demonstration of it.

5. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    I don't really know exactly what you don't agree with. Popular opinion is that friendlies are meaningless. However, I said that these friendlies, especially for the Dutch, have meaning because they are in the rebuilding phase. This phase needs to be done by the time the qualifying campaign rolls along. Koeman cannot afford to still be building and testing too much during qualifying games.

I agree about the different setup and playing styles of the respective players' clubs vis-a-vis NT. However, first we need to establish if Depay can be a consistent goal-getter and game-changer. He didn't blow up for Lyon until the second half of the season. Might be down to the position change, after PSV he bulked up and never had the impact he once had anymore on the wing. Striker suits him better because of his strength and shooting ability. I just hope he can repeat next season and really establish himself as Lyon's talisman.

I really hope Frenkie makes the right career choices in the coming years and develops into a the top quality midfielder we all see in him. The Dutch NT could surely use a player like him. Maybe some other talented midfielder will emerge as well in the coming years, who knows.

6. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Uhm, we currently have 5 at the back, 3 central backs and 2 wingbacks.

And we need them too!!!! Our current defense should read deVrij, vDijk and deLigt in central D. If we dont have those 3 we are pretty much f*cked!!!

7. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I was just refering to point raised about going with normal striker up front. Janssen/ weghorst. You will have scarifice some body to accomdate them.

8. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    De vrij and van dijk together would be too static at the back. I think De vrij should be Van dijks back up.

9. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You opinons are contridictory. Thats all. Its jus the way you have chosen to structure it.

Either way as I said Depay was dropping too deep to look for possession. This is unsual of him and when with possession he couldnt hold the ball too long as the defenders were on him or he had pull the trigger.this is also where I said at Lyon he has good setters who line him with quality balls which was very missing in the NT.

10. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Sorry Wilson, but I have to strongly disagree!!

VDijk is anything but static, he's very, very good at coming forward!!

DeVrij I will agree with you on, he's not that great going forward, but what difference does that make when you have vDijk next to you??!!

You really only need one centreback to build up play from the back

11. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Then wouldnt it be better having De ligt, Ake, Bruma by his side.

12. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    No!!

Right now our central D should be 3 players: vDijk, deLigt and deVrij.

Orange14 repped this.
  13. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    How would deploy them.right,middle, left

14. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What do you mean HOW?? You just deploy them left, right and centre....DUH!!

15. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    A team like france would expose them badly. The moment van dijk gets caught out going forward. De Vrij will simply throw the towel.the trio you metioned is good only for average teams like andorra, lativa, Bulgaria etc.

16. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Sorry Wilson, but I strongly disagree!!

17. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Then I strongly advice you go and watch some of lazios game . Vs juventus and inter particularly.

18. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I don't think we know what Koeman will do in terms of a formation. A lot will depend on who the MFs that start. This is the first time in a lot of years where there are no sure starters.

19. nurvin

nurvin Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Ok, but i never said we have to play with 4 at the back. I would play with a 5-3-2. ;)

Here i also disagree. Van Dijk and de Vrij are two different kind of players, Hoedt is the natural van Dijk's backup; de Ligt-van Dijk-de Vrij is the most natural defence nowdays.

Yeah, i don't know why van Ginkel is overlooked by Koeman, i also think he can inject more creativity in the midfield.

20. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My reasoning on both was this.if you would have to point out their weakness, it has to be their acceleration. How can you play a high line of defense when both of them are very slow out of the blocks. Van Dijk likes to to go forward and is always strolling when caught out.add de vrij to that situation who naturally is slow. What do you get. Also both of them are not are fast reactors. I have seen a particular move that van dijk does. He will put his leg out in slow motion and turn his back. On the hand De Vrij will go into a frozen mode.My point of view of haveing CBs like to that of De Ligt, Ake who are more mobile than both is atleast they can cover them up when caught out especially on counters.

In a normal game, with any big team , if both are playing together they can deal with anything thrown at them. But when playing a high line of defense is big question mark imo. This is consideration to playing a high line of defense which propels the team better in attack.

There was one phase of the game vs Italy when everybody was caught out on to jorginho over head pass to simone verdi who one on one with cillessen blastered it over the bar. Typically those are the kind of play where they will get buried as consequence of playing highline of defense. I also remember that Griezmann goal in the qualifiers where that one two in the middle with giroud left both de vrij and hoedt for dead.

Perhaps with not every team but on a day like today where the midfield was dominated, it will be even harder having both van dijk and de vrij play together.

Again Im looking it from certain aspects of the game and once it is picked up , it jus needs to be kept being explioted. It is jus like a cut in the face in boxing. You jus need to keep punching in and around that area. TKO- goal.

21. Welcome joining us. Appreciate your analysis in your other post:thumbsup:
    We can use more new blood in the forum, so tell your friends to join us too.

22. I'm very curious how Vente will develop. I hope he absorps as much as he can from Robin van Persie's vast experience how to play as a striker at the top.

23. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What about locadia?

24. He's not at Feyenoord;)

But I'm not sure about Locadia's capabilities. Sometimes he looks awesome, other times...Let's see how he fares in the epl after a proper pre season preparation and the knowledge of his first games after this season's winter brake in the epl .

25. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I was watching the video analysis of jorginho and must say he really controlled the midfield well and he has all the attributes of becoming a top modern day central midfielder. Was jus trying to compare what quality did he had which the dutch midfielders hadnt and surprisingly its very hard to call. He isnt any flashy player or neither a household name but still he plays with such confidence. He has come out of nowhere at napoli and now in the Italy team.Maybe frenkie would the idle player to compare him with but he is still a little immature. At the same time its a also a pity clasie couldnt reach is full potential. It would have been quite a combo if maher , van ginkel and clasie would have made it big. Alot of work needed in the midfield.