Orange Bowl lease causing U of Miami to lose money

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by chayes, May 21, 2003.

1. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A16841-2003May20.html

Of interesting note:

2. snowfx2

snowfx2 New Member

Jul 28, 2001
    so cal
  3. Mike T

Mike T Member

May 21, 2002
    Miami
    Can somebody tell be what the hell the University of Arkansas is doing(#1 of all college teams) in having a revenue of over 66,000,000 nearly more or more than double the amount of any other team with the exception of (#2) Notre Dame in the top 10 alone. And yet even compared to Notre Dame, a school with argueably college football's most prestgous history on a national level, Arkansas still blows away Notre Dame with nearly 33% more revenue (a total of more than $22 million more!).

4. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Screw Miami. I hope they lose more $$ when they move to the ACC.

5. snowfx2

snowfx2 New Member

Jul 28, 2001
    so cal
    They're Wal-Mart and Sam's Club shoppers, if you catch my drift.

6. Mike T

Mike T Member

May 21, 2002
    Miami
    While I'm not necessesarily a U of Miami fan per se', I don't quite understand the hatred in your statement "Screw Miami."???

Can you please justify your reasoning? ... just wondering? Cause its somewhat tiring how it just seems there are many out there that just dislike Miami teams, except the Dolphins.

I will never forget Bob Uker's nearly apologetic response to the national TV audience within minutes that the Florida Marlins won one of the most exciting World Series against Cleveland in 1997.

7. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it has to do with one time fees. I think they had just remodeled their stadium and added luxury boxes and club seats. They might have added the 15 year leases into one lump sum.

8. WVKeeper

WVKeeper Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Charlotte Suburbs, SC
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen Fhuck Miami!!!! and the ACC

9. buffalo

buffalo New Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Buffalo
    miami sucks with sports

10. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there is frustration coming from the Big East teams because Miami holds the key to their future, but does not seem to be considering the harm to the other schools, they only seem to be considering their own gains and losses from the move to the ACC.

As far as the Florida Marlins goes, I don't think that was anti-Maimi. Bob Euker was commenting on the larger picture. I think it was more related to the idea that an old traditional club like Cleveland, with many multi-generation fans and a team built via a combination of free agents and farm club development would lose to a five-year-old club bought by the owner for a one-time shot at the title. You've got to admit. The next year, the club was dismantled as soon as it was built, while Cleveland kept trying to put together a winner year after year.

I think all the Florida Marlins owner did was show that you could buy a winner if you want to, and that definately takes some of the romance out of the game.

Notice how single-entity prevents this travesty. Since the salary cap is put in place by the league, the teams have no incentive to lower the pay scale so that they can make a few extra bucks. The operators of each team have (well, in theory anyway) the same rules and money, and compete from that basis. In the long term, that seems much more healthy than baseball's system.