Option to limit mod's despotism power

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Sakuragi, May 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sakuragi

Sakuragi Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    With this post I'am proposing a new option that will help keep in check our moderators. I propose an option where each mod will be required to submit a professional report each and every time they delete a post. This report will contain every detail of the post deleted, such as the date deleted, reason, the contents of the actual post, other corrective actions the mod needs to take, and it should be at least one page in lenth.

The affected party will have access to this information at will. If the victim feels he/she has been treated in an unjust manner, he/she will have the right to submit that report to the proper administration and from there receive a proper trial.

Of course it will be a hassle with actual posts that are trolling and serve no purpose, like uclacarlos', however, most of those "bad" posts come from newbies that have just registered to bigsoccer. These new people should be handled differently as to where this new option will begin once they reach a certain number of posts in addition to being part of the bigsoccer community for an extended period of time.

With this plan, it is my intention to make bigsoccer a more pleasant environment to surf in. Mods will be forced to think twice before jumping the gun and deleting posts in an absurd manner. I hope you guys take the time to consider this proposal and if you have any questions please contact me via PM.

2. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    We already do this via infractions.

3. Sakuragi

Sakuragi Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Infractions is a flawed system. With infractions, the mods can PUNISH any user he/she/it likes, without any regards if the user really deserved it or not. That is the main issue here.

4. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    True - but he has to fill out the form in triplicate and it's sent by vacuum tube to the bureau of unjust despotic infractions given without any regards to whether the user really deserved it or not, and this department has oversight over every moderator action and the option to elevate review of the infraction to the committee that reviews infractions that this department deems review-worthy.

5. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    lol!

6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, a few questions:
    (paragraph 1)
    1) How do you define "one page?" 250 words, what is showing on a screen, the "reply" box, or something else?
    2)What is your standard of a "professional report?" ex. My boss' boss' boss (el jefe) sent out a report that was rife with grammar and spelling errors. Far from professional, IMO.
    3)Please explain what you mean by "other corrective actions the mod needs to take."
    4)What will be the purpose of keeping the contents of a post that has been deleted? The reason it was deleted was because of the contents.
    5)How do you think posts that are edited, but not deleted, should be handled? Or is that a different piece of legislation?

(paragraph 2)
    6)Who is the affected party?
    7)Appeals for unjust deletions? You realize the bureaucracy you are creating, right?
    8)Who determines when somebody is worthy of a trial?
    9)How does said trial take place (procedures, submission of evidence, what laws are used/to be followed, etc)
    10)How is said trial judged
    11)How the outcome of said trial determined?

(paragraph 3)
    12)Why do "trolling" posts deserve different treatment?
    13)Why do newbies deserve different treatment?
    14)Please explain how to determine when a newbie reaches the status of non-newbie.

7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are talking about the form written in Chinese, right? I want to make sure I don't mistakenly use the form written in Vietnamese.

8. Sakuragi

Sakuragi Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    But it is never done. It is always kept as a secret, and so all of these issues become lost within the system.

9. Sakuragi

Sakuragi Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I'll try to answer some of your concerns.

Normally when I talk about one page I am talking about a Microsoft Word page. Now, I know the basic format is to double space when creating essays, however, in this case the mods would need to fill out an entire page using a single space format. I wouldn't know how many words that would take, but I bet there should be plenty of words.

Well, a professional report would encompass several different issues. Of course, how you mentioned, it must be properly written with virtually no grammar and/or spelling errors. The moderator also must follow a five-phase format when writting these reports:

Paragraph 1:

Introduction (issue)

Paragraph 2:

1. Identify problem
    2. Analyze the problem
    3. Plan
    4. Implement
    5. Evaluate

Paragraph 3:

Conclusion

*Note: The moderator could very well do the report in three paragraphs, however, if the moderator feels encouraged that day and needs to write more, then by all means. But the moderator MAY NOT write less than a page, and less than three paragraphs.

Again, the report must be free of any mistakes such as in grammar, punctuation, spelling, logic, etc...If needed, the moderator may submit the report to an english teacher or the like to revise the contents.

This perhaps is the most important aspect for this plan to work. The contents may be hidden from the public at first, however, if the moderator fails to submit such a report, the post would automatically be reinstated. Now, it shall be hidden from the public, but the user in question MUST AT ALL times have access to that particular post as well to the report the moderator submitted. The idea behind this scenario is to have an actual proof of everything that occurred at the moment of posting.

Also, hiding the post from the public does not mean the poster in question is guilty of anything. At this point, the poster may appeal the decision and should be taken to the proper authorities.

This leads me to my next point. The group that shall handle the issues of the posts must be a separate entity from that of the moderators or administrators. To decide if the post shall stay or be put away forever, bigsoccer will summon posters to serve as jurors from time to time. A very important aspect here is that the jurors must not be in any way connected to the poster in question. This means that the jurors must be selected from different forums than that where the poster writes.

Very good question.

Unfortunately, the moderator must take the same procedures just mentioned.

The poster who is affected.

Simple. The poster.

See above.

What I meant by trolling posts are those posters that cross the line very often and that are not liked by his/her peers. Racism, discrimination, hate words, etc..., all of these should never be allowed and the posters who behave in this fashion should be given the boot, forever. Examples of some of those posters include, uclacarlos, kesone...

If you have any more concerns please do not hesitate to ask more questions. I'll try my best to answer them.

10. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Your lucky they didn't give me the taser I asked for.

11. Puro_Sinaloa

Puro_Sinaloa Member+

Dec 3, 2005
    A mod posting insulting remarks in an open forum about a certain poster, then when that poster responds in kind, the mod then turns around and infracts him for, "trolling."

12. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    If you get them to fill it out in size 5 font they could get even more words in. Also, you could ban paragraphs, lists, indents, anything that would take away from increasing or maximizing the word count.

I suggest that this panel of arbitration should be amalgamated with the United Nations Forum on Forests to ensure neutrality and because you can never have enough bureaucracy.

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I find this very difficult to believe. Last year I received an infaction just for making a joke about AEG in a San Jose titled thread although it was not in a San Jose sub forum. It was really harmless and it was actually even kind of funny and silly. Then just because I had complained about other posters earlier offensive posts, I get this infraction.

I didn't really say anything that merited it all I said was "I see no one is mentioning AEG" in the new thread. I've seen much more severe posts go unharmed and then I received an infraction for this and this is justified?

14. Sakuragi

Sakuragi Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    He was playing. NOBODY monitors that kind of stuff. If you're not very popular with one moderator, he technically has the power to get you banned. This can happen by him bombarding you with infractions until you have sufficient to merit carding.

15. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You find it difficult to believe that we have a system of vacuum tubes connecting mods to the bureau of unjust despotic infractions given without any regards to whether the user really deserved it or not? I'm amazed.

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    And this type of authority is justified? It makes no sense. When I complained to him he knew he probably overdid it but all he could say was he was upset because I ruined his vacation.....I still can't believe this one. None of the other mods did anything as a matter of fact, they all protected him.

Another time when I complained about a problematic harassment, fighting, or rude posts. which I found not only offensive but down right discriminating in different thread all the super mod said was "if you don't stop complaining and/or reporting this post we can ban you from the forum"....And this type of authority is justified? It seems some posters get away with saying anything they want while others are scrutinzed for everything they write.....

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    How can you give an infraction for making a joke which IMHO is a not either a (per forum rules) problematic harassing, fighting, or even rude post?

All I wrote was "I see I see no one is mentioning AEG" in a San Jose titled thread........And this action is deserved and merits an infraction? Are you kidding me?

18. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you actually read my post? For that matter, did you actually read the post you quoted to begin with?

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What I find difficult to believe is how now all of a sudden a form needs to be filled out in triplicate and it's sent by vacuum tube to the bureau of unjust despotic infractions given without any regards to whether the user really deserved it or not, and this department has oversight over every moderator action and the option to elevate review of the infraction to the committee that reviews infractions that this department deems review-worthy...very difficult to blieve that you have this system in place.....seeing is believing.....

20. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone give this man some rep.

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Isn't it too bad we can't do that anymore? One of the bright spots of the forum was taken away!:mad:

22. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    You must spread...

nothing.

23. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let the record show that upon reading the above I blinked repeatedly and subsequently checked to see if I had been drinking heavily [assessment regarding the latter: not yet].

I do not presume to speak for DK, but it is my strong believe that his original post referencing said system of vacuum tubes was a sarcastic fantasy. I am supported in my belief by the fact that I am a moderator of this site, albeit a rather new one, and have yet to see anything resembling a vacuum tube. Perhaps I have not yet demonstrated enough worth as a moderator to be allowed into the inner sanctum, however, so I will endeavor to keep an open mind on the subject.

I have no idea whether your infraction was warranted or not and would not presume to speak about it in any case. However, I am sorry you are upset.

24. Horsehead

Horsehead Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Los Angeles
    No no.... I'm not a mod, but one day I saw a hole in the bsmatrix... And I saw the vacuum tubes, I saw them!

25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Thanks you for your acknowledgement. For the record the infraction in question was not warranted.